Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

2 time PAC-12 coach of the year Mike Hopkins is struggling this Covid season.

Paul Chryst was 19-19 as HC at Pitt. He has gone 53-19 as HC at his alma mater Wisconsin.

Just because Washington is a medicore program like Pitt FB doesn’t mean Hopkins wouldn’t do well here.
So yeah we will take him when we want him.

Eh let's be realistic. If Hop continues on this trajectory there is no way we will be happy to take him. 6-21. Repeat that...

UW is not exactly located in a hoops hotbed, meanwhile you have Gonzaga and now Oregon who have established themselves as Elite programs in a hoops desert. Hop had to try and recruit his east coast connections and did so with guys like Stewart. It is a lot easier to reboot a program when you are located in recruiting hotbeds.

Look at programs turning things around like Texas- Texas has a ton of hoops talent. The West Coast is not easy territory to recruit.. Pac 12 hoops has been awful by comparison for the last two decades. Look at UCLA.. I mean they are an afterthought today anymore. Thus turning things around is already hard enough.

UW is not exactly located in a hoops hotbed, meanwhile you have Gonzaga and now Oregon who have established themselves as Elite programs in a hoops desert. Hop had to try and recruit his east coast connections and did so with guys like Stewart. It is a lot easier to reboot a program when you are located in recruiting hotbeds.

Look at programs turning things around like Texas- Texas has a ton of hoops talent. The West Coast is not easy territory to recruit.. Pac 12 hoops has been awful by comparison for the last two decades. Look at UCLA.. I mean they are an afterthought today anymore. Thus turning things around is already hard enough.

I think that is a weak excuse. There is plenty of talent in the Seattle area. They have every opportunity to be a top 3-4 west coast program. Hop is struggling big time. There is no reason to sugar coat that

Last edited:
After he raided players from the east coast when he first got there, he hasn't made any connections to players on the west coast.

There’s arguments to be made that Seattle is among the best hoops cities in the country haha

Lol i was all for a solid discussion on the struggles of Hop and what he needs to do to fix them, what his future holds, etc...

But this is just lame. Making a separate, attention-grabbing-post, to trash him? Dork

I think that is a weak excuse. There is plenty of talent in the Seattle area. They have very opportunity to be a top 3-4 west coast program. Hop is struggling big time. There is no reason to sugar coat that

You had zero kids playing in the Seattle Area in the top 100 in 2020. You had 2 in 2021 including Banchero and then Gregg who Hop locked up for 2021. You have one in 2022. That is hardly a ton of talent to pick from when you factor your competition in the region. Add to that you then have to recruit kids south and east to come play at a program with little tradition, a short history of some success and the list goes on.

This isn't just about hop. This is about UW in general. Its not like other coaches have flourished there - they haven't. Romar landed some big fish but didn't do much with it. Hop had to go way out of the region to recruit. I don't excuse all his struggles as I think he has blind spots but you are being blind if you don't see what the challenge at UW really is.

There’s arguments to be made that Seattle is among the best hoops cities in the country haha

Where you are from and where you play... not the same thing. There is a reason why where a kid plays his prep ball matters. UW does not have a lot to offer to a hoops recruit.. and many kids don't stay and play locally they go out of state. There is a lot of talent nationwide - but in terms of where do you spend your time watching prep ball.. its not in Washington and if it is- Oregon and Gonzaga are sitting right next to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom