Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

And if he flops they back the truck next to Wes Miller.

Rams Club wanted Hubert.
Nortb Carolina’s downfall was Roy stopped recruiting elite classes.

He was lucky UNC had guys stay 3-4 years. Once Cody White didn’t do what UNC players were doing and staying multiple years.
The roster caught up.

Roy left because UNC needs to recruit again.
Hubert Davis has a good initial class but who knows if he can be HC.

Roy didn’t stay around when the performances started dipping.
2019-2020 they sucked.
2020-21 first time in his career he lost in the first round of the NCAAT.

He retired.
They aren’t much better now 3rd year.
Hubert Davis just needs to make the tournament this year. Then next year better be up to UNC standards by year 3.

Roy left him in a spot we don’t want our Hc leaving his replacement if the replacement is on the bench.

I’ll take Hop, Red, Gerry and Paulus and give everyone else “the field” when JB retires.

I’d love to see Shaka and Cooley in the mix, but I think Shaka will want too much $ and Cooley might be very comfy at PC.
Outside the Cuse family i like Todd Golden, Bryce Drew, Eric Musselman, Kim English

He was lucky UNC had guys stay 3-4 years. Once Cody White didn’t do what UNC players were doing and staying multiple years.
The roster caught up.

2019-2020 they sucked.

He retired.
Hubert Davis just needs to make the tournament this year. Then next year better be up to UNC standards by year 3.

Roy left him in a spot we don’t want our Hc leaving his replacement if the replacement is on the bench.

Roy had guys like Joel Berry and Luke Maye that weren't going anywhere. Helps. As his team became more like a hockey team dumping and crashing it got ugly but somewhat effective short term.

Anyway, Hubert was the logical choice for that place.

Lots of similarities between Michigan football and UNC basketball. Both entitled fan bases that are focused on beating one school, living in the past, and think they are better than they actually are. And they only want alums as coaches.

I want to hire from within. Not closing the deal on high ranked recruits is hard when you have 2 strikes against you: all zone and a NE team in a SE Conf. Therefore, I do not blams staff. Coaching stability is a selling point that we stand to lose if we go outside. Once lost it would be difficulf to vet it back. A successful coach will leave for a higher paying job. We are not the be all end all of coaching jobs. We are not as desirable as we were when we were the Beast of the East.

If Brian Kelly can leave Notre Dame for LSU, then there really aren't any endgame jobs in college sports anymore. Should just focus on making the best hire possible

And if he flops they back the truck next to Wes Miller.

Rams Club wanted Hubert.
I felt strongly UNC should have chosen Wes Miller. I've been wrong many times, but I think time will show I was right on that.

A key point would be whether John Wildhack wasn't a guy who would owe John for getting him the job vs. a guy he basically inherited from the previous staff. Administrators like to be surrounded by people they have chosen and Wildhack inherited JB, Dino and Desko.

The roster caught up.

2019-2020 they sucked.

He retired.

Roy leaving had nothing to do with less recent success and everything to do with his age/body and not wanting to commit to coaching/recruiting/etc. anymore. He seems completely at peace in his decision. Hubert should be fine in the long run. He has Wilcher committed for 2023 and 5-6 other 5 star prospects in the mix.

Roy leaving had nothing to do with less recent success and everything to do with his age/body and not wanting to commit to coaching/recruiting/etc. anymore. He seems completely at peace in his decision. Hubert should be fine in the long run. He has Wilcher committed for 2023 and 5-6 other 5 star prospects in the mix.

He has since admitted he wouldn’t have retired if it wasn’t for the pandemic and also he was afraid of where college bball was going. He said he just couldn’t coach his team without being with them everyday and building bonds (or something like that).

He has since admitted he wouldn’t have retired if it wasn’t for the pandemic and also he was afraid of where college bball was going. He said he just couldn’t coach his team without being with them everyday and building bonds (or something like that).
He seems to be in rough shape compared to Boeheim and is 6ish years his junior (Jim looks to be in incredible shape for a 76 or 77 year old man). He seems to have really aged and has admitted that coaching has taken years off his life.

UNC can recruit itself. Its a very strong academic school with plenty of support from the Rams Club and not too mention a very good basketball history. Hubert should be fine.

Hops back line defense is very poor, he doesn't have a rim protector. Surprised that he didn't recruit for that.

Hops back line defense is very poor, he doesn't have a rim protector. Surprised that he didn't recruit for that.
They were smoked by Stanford yesterday. Most of the second half was extended garbage time.

I notice that our Washington "Friend" who always says he likes Mike and then calls for his imminent firing seems to have been missing in action for a while, seeing as how Washington is 7-4 in the conference, even after the Stanford loss. Guess those who were ready to throw dirt on his grave were premature.

And that’s the problem in a nutshell. JB will be gone very soon and the dearth of hot young coaches is very apparent

Hence, the Pitino talk is not pure whacko crazy. SWC has done his thesis on how the guy who follows the legend almost always fail, and if there is a bounce back, it is the guy AFTER the legend.

Except in this case, Pitino is as close to a guaranteed winner as there is in college basketball. Three year deal, one last Final Four to cement his legacy, and then tell me, how hot will the Syracuse job be?

I notice that our Washington "Friend" who always says he likes Mike and then calls for his imminent firing seems to have been missing in action for a while, seeing as how Washington is 7-4 in the conference, even after the Stanford loss. Guess those who were ready to throw dirt on his grave were premature.

Permanent time out.

One thing to keep in mind: JB recruits for his zone and the players here might not be suitable to a coach that doesn't play it. Of course, with the portal that might be resolved quickly - but not immediately.

Lots of similarities between Michigan football and UNC basketball. Both entitled fan bases that are focused on beating one school, living in the past, and think they are better than they actually are. And they only want alums as coaches.
I agree with your first sentence, but I would argue the rest of your points. Well, I guess I agree their fan base is entitles, but you can say that for just about any team in any sport who has had long-term success. I wouldn't be so quick to write UNC hoops off ("living in the past"). They've had some short-term blips in the past that they've recovered from in pretty short order.

I agree with your first sentence, but I would argue the rest of your points. Well, I guess I agree their fan base is entitles, but you can say that for just about any team in any sport who has had long-term success. I wouldn't be so quick to write UNC hoops off ("living in the past"). They've had some short-term blips in the past that they've recovered from in pretty short order.

Yeah I mean they went 8-20 in 01/02 and then won the title in 04/05. 46-47 record in the three years prior to winning it all. I'd say that's a pretty quick turnaround.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom