Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Mike? He was here for 5 years as a player. And an ass't for over 10 years. I doubt in that time, he didn't get his degree.
Knowing he was here for 20 years, I was making a (bad) reference that it had to be something different than coaching because I don’t think that’s happening.

Mike? He was here for 5 years as a player. And an ass't for over 10 years. I doubt in that time, he didn't get his degree.
Gotta be it.

Why else.

Im not sure Red wants Hop as his assistant.

It would be smart for Hop to avoid a situation where he'd be looking for work again in 3 years.

Hop losing to Cal Baptist makes Colgate seem a little better. Can Red really do any worse than either Hop or JB
Cal Baptist will be the best shooting team Hop sees all year. Hop can't be expected to have his team ready to beat Cal Baptist this early in the season.

I am in the camp that we need a clean break from the JB tree but if we stay attached I think Red would be my choice.

Cal Baptist will be the best shooting team Hop sees all year. Hop can't be expected to have his team ready to beat Cal Baptist this early in the season.

How about when that female reporter responded with are you saying they'll be better than UCLA and Arizona? And he said shooting against the zone!, and gave her a condescending, derisive look and grin.

Hop losing to Cal Baptist makes Colgate seem a little better. Can Red really do any worse than either Hop or JB

Yes, he can.

And "can he be any worse?" shouldn't be an evaluative criteria for hiring a head coach at a program with the sixth most wins in college basketball history.

We dodged a bullet with Hop [unfortunately, given how things have worked out for him]. His use case should be precisely why we shouldn't hire an unproven, unqualified candidate just because they have ties to the school.

Coahing hires are so hit or miss, but there's been a few who were homeruns right out of the gate. Tommy Lloyd and Chris Beard seem like two who are on the right path. I have no idea if Syracuse can right the ship, but I've had enough of the Boeheim tree for a while.

Yes, he can.

And "can he be any worse?" shouldn't be an evaluative criteria for hiring a head coach at a program with the sixth most wins in college basketball history.

We dodged a bullet with Hop [unfortunately, given how things have worked out for him]. His use case should be precisely why we shouldn't hire an unproven, unqualified candidate just because they have ties to the school.

In Hop's defense, he did win 2 PAC12 COY awards.

But - that was primarily with players left over from Romar, and/or a few guys he had existing relationships with that were built thru his time at Cuse.

Now he has neither of those, and the results are telling.

It's quite possible he might have done better if he'd gotten to take over at Syracuse when it was originally intended to occur.

However - that ship has now long since sailed, and his east coast recruiting relationships have all faded into the past.

Wildhack would be committing AD malfeasance if he doesn't do a proper National search for the next Men's hoops coach.
There is ZERO point in artificially limiting the talent pool to "was a former Cuse hoops player".

And yeah - maybe it ends up being Red (or Hop) anyway, but you MUST make them compete for the job against the field, NOT just hand it to them because they are alums who played for and coached under JAB.

Programs like UNC and Dook can go with the "continuity hire" because they have ongoing high level success they want to maintain.

We've been in a decade-long decline, and it appears to be accelerating.
The last thing we need now is more of the same that got us to this point.
The definition of insanity...

His biggest asset would've been the ability to recruit to SU and whatever loyalty he could've gotten for a staff.

Like a lot of things in life timing. It was missed for him.

I think he needs to commit to shaving the head. He can pull it off. He's still hanging onto that hair style that now starts so much further back.

If my head didn't look like a watermelon that's been stabbed a couple dozen times, I'd do the same thing. (plus my wife said if I try it, one of us is leaving this house).

In Hop's defense, he did win 2 PAC12 COY awards.

But - that was primarily with players left over from Romar, and/or a few guys he had existing relationships with that were built thru his time at Cuse.

Now he has neither of those, and the results are telling.

It's quite possible he might have done better if he'd gotten to take over at Syracuse when it was originally intended to occur.

However - that ship has now long since sailed, and his east coast recruiting relationships have all faded into the past.

Wildhack would be committing AD malfeasance if he doesn't do a proper National search for the next Men's hoops coach.
There is ZERO point in artificially limiting the talent pool to "was a former Cuse hoops player".

And yeah - maybe it ends up being Red (or Hop) anyway, but you MUST make them compete for the job against the field, NOT just hand it to them because they are alums who played for and coached under JAB.

Programs like UNC and Dook can go with the "continuity hire" because they have ongoing high level success they want to maintain.

We've been in a decade-long decline, and it appears to be accelerating.
The last thing we need now is more of the same that got us to this point.
The definition of insanity...

Nailed it, across the board.

I think he needs to commit to shaving the head. He can pull it off. He's still hanging onto that hair style that now starts so much further back.

If my head didn't look like a watermelon that's been stabbed a couple dozen times, I'd do the same thing. (plus my wife said if I try it, one of us is leaving this house).

Hitting the bottle this morning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom