Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC | Syracusefan.com

Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Listening to Mike & Mike today, they had college football analyst (and former LSU star) Booger McFarland on to discuss the LSU coaching vacancy.

After a few minutes of debating the pros and cons of Tom Herman (Houston), they mentioned that Herman might be more apt to leave Houston than previously believed (despite the very public promise of a $5M bonus if Houston goes to the Big 12) because there is a huge vote looming with the B12.

Evidently, Texas and Oklahoma in particular are not enamored with the idea expanding the Big 12 and see a more prosperous future in OTHER conferences (Texas TBD and Oklahoma in the SEC).

A vote in mid-October on whether or not to expand the Big 12 may seal the fate of that conference as rumors are that both UT and OU are against inviting lesser known brands from smaller conferences.

Mike, Mike and Booger went on to say that if B12 votes not to expand in a few weeks, that would be a clear sign that "Super Conferences" are coming sooner than later and Golic immediately noted that ND would be a full-fledged member of the ACC shortly thereafter.

Sadly for us, they didn't elaborate on additional ACC invites, but I'd have to guess that Texas would be the ACC's first choice and UCONN would be invited if Texas said no.

You can listen to this conversation on the ESPN app as they always upload their radio shows to the podcasr section shortly after that day's show concludes.

I can't see why Texas would want to go west for conf games. Every sport would be at a disadvantage. Look east my friend

This is interesting , experts years ago predicted 4 super conferences, 4×16. Nice to hear that Oklahomas and texas' arrogance may solidly the ACC's seat at the table for 4.

I can't see why Texas would want to go west for conf games. Every sport would be at a disadvantage. Look east my friend
Thought I remembered reading they didn't like the idea of playing in the western time zone because the audience was smaller. Tough to say where they would go among PAC, ACC and B1G. I don't think SEC is an option.

Thought I remembered reading they didn't like the idea of playing in the western time zone because the audience was smaller. Tough to say where they would go among PAC, ACC and B1G. I don't think SEC is an option.

I think the PAC and SEC are out.

B1G - tradition, big stadiums, B1G Network, academics

ACC - slightly "easier" path to a playoff (at least from the Coastal), ACC Network, Florida/Georgia recruiting, warm weather games even in November, academics, Southern roots and culture might appeal more than a purely midwest conference with some NE presence.

Believe TexanMark said that. (Mark many apologies if that's not true) I found that to be an interesting theory too. West coast teams fight a tougher battle to remain prominent, given the time difference. 7pm and 9pm EST nationally televised games are where the ad dollars are. Not those 10pm fox 1 starts, that you see for AZ, UCLA, etc.

ACC - slightly "easier" path to a playoff (at least from the Coastal), ACC Network, Florida/Georgia recruiting, warm weather games even in November, academics, Southern roots and culture might appeal more than a purely midwest conference with some NE presence.

If the ACC ever goes to 16, current divisions would be thrown out the window so the "easier path" argument is not valid, IMO.

I think the PAC and SEC are out.

B1G - tradition, big stadiums, B1G Network, academics

Agree that Big 10 and ACC are the places UT would go. ACC recruiting grounds are more fertile than the Big's, and probably the PAc, outside of CA. Add that to the state of Texas and it's a definite bonus.

Agree. Teams thrive on publicity and need sports coverage. Texas is one time zone away from the national media. If they were to go west, they would be three time zones away. I don't think they would go north to the B1G because there would be too many losing games. ACC would be the best option.

Texas has a Texas sized prima donna ego . Look at the disaster they precipitated in the Big12 . They had a very great conference and destroyed it with the Longhorn Network .

...Sadly for us, they didn't elaborate on additional ACC invites, but I'd have to guess that Texas would be the ACC's first choice and UCONN would be invited if Texas said no.

Well that is the biggest drop off this side of the Grand Canyon. pUC-onn:vomit:

As a Syracuse fan why in the world would you want another football powerhouse in the conference along with being 2 thousand miles away? I think the ACC already has enough powerhouse football programs to always be at the top. Personally I would rather have UConn in over Texas, I prefer A regional rival vs ANOTHER team you need to get on the plane to go watch.

I'd have to guess that Texas would be the ACC's first choice and UCONN would be invited if Texas said no.
dis2.gif

heard on one station today the PAC is thinking of going back to 5pm starts get more games on TV in the east

On the 4 X 16 model--

Would these really be conferences? For football, the 14 team ACC hardly seems like one, what with playing Miami/VT, etc. only once every 6 years (12 years between home visits). Obviously, 16 teams would make it worse.

And, I can't see "pods", however you arrange them, making the situation appreciably better.

As a Syracuse fan why in the world would you want another football powerhouse in the conference along with being 2 thousand miles away? I think the ACC already has enough powerhouse football programs to always be at the top. Personally I would rather have UConn in over Texas, I prefer A regional rival vs ANOTHER team you need to get on the plane to go watch.

"But to be the best, I believe
you have to beat the best."

Head Coach Ben Schwartzwalder, The Express.

heard on one station today the PAC is thinking of going back to 5pm starts get more games on TV in the east

This is not a representative sample, but I know a lot of folks that are unhappy here in the east because they can't see their alma maters on TV at a decent hour. Oregon, Buffs, USC, UCLA. The Buffs are my second favorite team, so I'm frequently either up at 10pm for a start or locked out.

The biggest issue with Texas is the Longhorn Network...I think it would come down to which conference will let them keep it...

ND and WVU - that's what I'd like to be 15 and 16

My understanding is the main issue with WVU is academics...otherwise I agree with you...

No question the ideal end state for the ACC is to turn ND into a full time member and add Texas to get to 16.

That group of schools would eclipse the B1G and the SEC and become #1 in the pecking order of conferences for TV ratings and TV money. It would be the greatest conference ever assembled.

Fun to think about. Austin would be a great roadtrip...

ND and Navy and call it a day. One more big boy in the conference and one more patsy. Also gets the state of Maryland back in the footprint. Go to a 9 game conference schedule. Great academics, traditions. And it flatters ND's wish to keep traditional rivalries intact.

Outside of Vandy, is the SEC an academic fit for UT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom