Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC

UT gives lip service to its academic conference mates. I'm not sure there's another school currently in the Big 12 within the top 50 academically. They'd fit right in with the SEC crowd - particularly with A&M, Arkansas, LSU and Missou.

Texas is a terrible idea for the ACC. You want to deal with them when their fans complain to the university about all the long distance road trips? Without the GoR, they'd be leaving within a year. Just has future problems written all over it.

I hate 4/16. I'd much rather have 8/9. But I've realized for a while now that "Power 5" could turn into "Power 4" and that the ACC and the Big 12 were the lesser conferences of the Power 5. Thus it would be to the ACC's benefit if the Big 12 came flying apart.

My understanding is the main issue with WVU is academics...otherwise I agree with you...

I would think that the academics issue with WVU sailed when the ACC accepted Louisville. The new reason being given by some fans of original ACC teams is fan behavior will keep the Eers out in this type of scenario. Apparently the wine and cheese crowd of most ACC teams don't appreciate rowdiness of WVU fans.

Cheers,
Neil

Get Notre Dame, and then get South Carolina back

Well, if the ACC went after an SEC team I'd rather it be Florida or Tennessee than South Carolina. But I just don't see any B1G or SEC team leaving those conferences. I don't see ND joining full-time either.

Cheers,
Neil

Offer Texas Notre Dame deal, they would be half members, still have their Longhorn Network and would not have the power to muck up the conference. They get east coast exposure, still schedule travel friendly and rival games and have some independence. Conference gets a nice revenue boost and protects them against UT going elsewhere. Lots of win-win involved.

Offer Texas Notre Dame deal, they would be half members, still have their Longhorn Network and would not have the power to muck up the conference. They get east coast exposure, still schedule travel friendly and rival games and have some independence. Conference gets a nice revenue boost and protects them against UT going elsewhere. Lots of win-win involved.

If UT would take an ND type deal, which is doubtful, their separate football deal with whatever network gets it (probably ESPN) becomes their LHN only for $25 million a year instead of $15 million a year. Remember all the Irish sports that participate in the ACC are part of the ACCN and that would have to be true of Texas as well.

The cost to the ACC in this type of scenario would most likely be two Texas schools for 15 and 16. Again though, I don't see UT going the ND route since independence has never been their thing.

Cheers,
Neil

IF ND and Texas ever joined the ACC the TV money would sky rocket. The money would be flowing in non-stop and schools like SU would be able to pay for the Dome renovation in cash if they wanted too!

Well, if the ACC went after an SEC team I'd rather it be Florida or Tennessee than South Carolina. But I just don't see any B1G or SEC team leaving those conferences. I don't see ND joining full-time either.

Cheers,
Neil

There is ONLY 1 SEC school that would consider leaving that conference, and it's Kentucky. And honestly i know it would be great for basketball but other than that it's no great add for the ACC.

I've never understood the academics thing for anyone other than the ivy league. These are sports conferences. I don't remember the last time I heard of a chess match or debate competition between any of these schools.

I would think that the academics issue with WVU sailed when the ACC accepted Louisville. The new reason being given by some fans of original ACC teams is fan behavior will keep the Eers out in this type of scenario. Apparently the wine and cheese crowd of most ACC teams don't appreciate rowdiness of WVU fans.

So NC State is just grandfathered in?

The biggest issue with Texas is the Longhorn Network...I think it would come down to which conference will let them keep it...

My understanding is the main issue with WVU is academics...otherwise I agree with you...

WVU should be a natural addition to the ACC. Academics??? Seriously? A plant could get into Louisville, NC, and FSU. Give me a break.

I like wvu and nd. Texas doesnt make sense to me either, more so from its perspective. Bug state school? Thats sec and big ten and geography makes more sense there

Ahh, now I understand all of the conference realignment stuff the last 20+ years. How did we survive as an independent for so long?

Which came first, the academic alliance or the sports conference?

If you want to get technical, academic alliances came first. When athletic conferences came around, it was convenient way to establish better research and academic consortia.

As a Syracuse fan why in the world would you want another football powerhouse in the conference along with being 2 thousand miles away? I think the ACC already has enough powerhouse football programs to always be at the top. Personally I would rather have UConn in over Texas, I prefer A regional rival vs ANOTHER team you need to get on the plane to go watch.

Why? Because Austin is a kick ass road trip for a game!!!

The biggest issue with Texas is the Longhorn Network...I think it would come down to which conference will let them keep it...

And Louisville paved the way for that problem to no longer be a problem.

I like wvu and nd. Texas doesnt make sense to me either, more so from its perspective. Bug state school? Thats sec and big ten and geography makes more sense there

I work under the assumption that schools with profitable football programs need money coming in. Texas is a game changer in a TV contract. Thus, the ACC would welcome Texas with open arms

ESPN won't renew the Longhorn Network. That's not a concern, it lost a LOT of money.

WVU should be a natural addition to the ACC. Academics??? Seriously? A plant could get into Louisville, NC, and FSU. Give me a break.

Whoa there...calm down...All I was doing was repeating what a lot of other have posted in other threads concerning realignment...no need to get worked up...I was agreeing that it should be ND and WVU...that the issue previously brought up concerning WVU was academics...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom