Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC

Does anyone really think Texas is gonna join the ACC? If they join the ACC you may as well just take the money from the 64 schools in the power 4 conferences and just evenly distribute and let them go geographically into divisions that make sense.

It's getting foolish when we say Texas to the ACC. Let's start with teh notion if this power conference thing happens that ND is coming into the fold with football (a great thing) and we add a UConn/Navy as the 16th and be done with it.

I see three options, while adding ND:
1. Texas - Would be tough to pass up that money and potential for recruiting in Texas.
2. WVU - Makes sense geographically and has history with some of the teams in ACC.
3. Others - uconn, Navy or others that have been mentioned would be closer geographically but would probably not bring in the money that UT would and WVU would to a lesser degree, but more so than others...

The biggest issue with Texas is the Longhorn Network...I think it would come down to which conference will let them keep it...

My understanding is the main issue with WVU is academics...otherwise I agree with you...
Didn't stop us from inviting Louisville into the conference.

Whoa there...calm down...All I was doing was repeating what a lot of other have posted in other threads concerning realignment...no need to get worked up...I was agreeing that it should be ND and WVU...that the issue previously brought up concerning WVU was academics...

Oh i agree with you too. Just a bit comical about using the academics card with wvu in the first place.

kids, if the bevo explodes, and the ACC winds up with any combo of blank and storz...it will be the next conference to fall.

storz, has no seat at any table, waiting for them.

The implosion of the Big Bevo progressively becomes more a question of "when, not if" with each pronouncement by someone in a member school's administration. I still think that when it happens, the ACC will re-offer Texas the ND deal it turned down once before, but this time they'll take it. They'll fully integrate their Olympic sports, play 5 or so football games/yr against the ACC, and have an annual game with ND (the ND fans on their hard-core fan board loved this idea). As much as Texas has been destructive in the Big Bevo (I bet Boren rues the day they took in the old SWC schools), I don't think that could carry-over to the ACC if they don't have full football membership.

as much as texas and okie would be better off in the PAC, texas thinks Austin is located somewhere along the Amtrak Boston-NYC-Philly-Baltimore-DC line.

id say the b1g would be the completion here.

and I cant see anyone offering sweetheart deals if the bevo blows up.

the confs, would have ALL the power.

of course if Texas and ND were to be the official 15th & 16th ACC teams, I can see them both in the Atlantic as they switch nc state and wake to the coastal.

the Orange would then have 5 baked in losses and we would likely be playing a rotation of OSU, M, Nebraska and Wisky as our P5 game.

run the table otherwise for 6-6 and a bowl...

If there is only 4 conferences left , the 4 conference champions will be in the final 4 . No way an indy will get voted past them .

as much as texas and okie would be better off in the PAC, texas thinks Austin is located somewhere along the Amtrak Boston-NYC-Philly-Baltimore-DC line.

id say the b1g would be the completion here.

and I cant see anyone offering sweetheart deals if the bevo blows up.

the confs, would have ALL the power.

of course if Texas and ND were to be the official 15th & 16th ACC teams, I can see them both in the Atlantic as they switch nc state and wake to the coastal.

the Orange would then have 5 baked in losses and we would likely be playing a rotation of OSU, M, Nebraska and Wisky as our P5 game.

run the table otherwise for 6-6 and a bowl...

that is a sad sad scenario laid out above.

If there is only 4 conferences left , the 4 conference champions will be in the final 4 . No way an indy will get voted past them .
nope.

ALL THE POWER.

ND will have no choice.

join the group of 5, or join a P4.

Do you think this holds true if ND or a G5 school manages to go undefeated? If they are still left out, my guess is we would see the playoffs get expanded.

Do you think this holds true if ND or a G5 school manages to go undefeated? If they are still left out, my guess is we would see the playoffs get expanded.
G5 should make their own playoffs . ND , no .

The implosion of the Big Bevo progressively becomes more a question of "when, not if" with each pronouncement by someone in a member school's administration. I still think that when it happens, the ACC will re-offer Texas the ND deal it turned down once before, but this time they'll take it. They'll fully integrate their Olympic sports, play 5 or so football games/yr against the ACC, and have an annual game with ND (the ND fans on their hard-core fan board loved this idea). As much as Texas has been destructive in the Big Bevo (I bet Boren rues the day they took in the old SWC schools), I don't think that could carry-over to the ACC if they don't have full football membership.

Texas does not have the national following to go independent. Further, the only way it can go independent is if it keeps the LHN alive to broadcast its home football games. This creates two issues. First, there is not enough content for the LHN if the only independent sport is football and second, ESPN is losing money on the network so it may not renew its contract with Texas.

Not any sort of insider at all but I do live in Austin and the rumblings here are that Texas is looking west not east. This is from the local sports personalities who have inside sources within the AD at UT.

I think folks here are underestimating the arrogance of UT... they're not going to worry about east coast bias because they feel that if they win they will automatically be nationally relevant regardless of what conference they are in. I hate to say it but I agree... history has shown that if Texas is good the media will come. Look at all of the media coverage they got from just beating ND.

I've heard that LHN is losing $15mm a year so I agree with those who say that ESPN will not renew the deal. I don't think Texas will leave the big 12 until the current contract is up because they would be leaving $15mm per year on the plate... and whatever conference they move to would have to compensate for that. Of course if Oklahoma leaves the conference that could accelerate things but I don't think bevo will start the dominos falling.

BTW when I was a kid growing up in NY State, never did I think that a) I'd be living in Austin, TX and b) that SU would be in the same conference and would come to Austin once a year.

BTW when I was a kid growing up in NY State, never did I think that a) I'd be living in Austin, TX and b) that SU would be in the same conference and would come to Austin once a year.
You mean at least once every twelve years (for football).

If you want to get technical, academic alliances came first. When athletic conferences came around, it was convenient way to establish better research and academic consortia.
Ok, I'll give it to you, even if nobody outside of academia would know or care. Regardless, athletics, and the money that comes with them, have driven conference alignment changes the last 30 years. Having WVU or Texas or anyone else playing basketball and football against UNC or Duke, or Wake Forest is not going to reduce their academic standing or dissuade students from going there. If UNC's own blatant academic fraud hasn't done it, nothing will. The whole academic thing is stupid. If WVU was Miami of 2001 and positioned in Chicago the ACC would've already called them.

People need to realize its the networks that have all the power. They pay the conferences. Texas isn't going anywhere ESPN doesn't want them as long as ESPN pays the 15 million dollars a year for the LHN.

Texas doesn't want to go to the Pac-12 as they don't want to play on the Pacific coast for lots of road games. Texas if they went Indy could still play 4 Texas schools annually, Oklahoma, and be fine. They would need a place to park all their other sports.

ND is never joining the ACC until the NCAA forces it on them. They just aren't people need to realize this. The fanbase of ND is insane.

People need to realize its the networks that have all the power. They pay the conferences. Texas isn't going anywhere ESPN doesn't want them as long as ESPN pays the 15 million dollars a year for the LHN.

Texas doesn't want to go to the Pac-12 as they don't want to play on the Pacific coast for lots of road games. Texas if they went Indy could still play 4 Texas schools annually, Oklahoma, and be fine. They would need a place to park all their other sports.

ND is never joining the ACC until the NCAA forces it on them. They just aren't people need to realize this. The fanbase of ND is insane.
^^^^ This Man is Preaching the Truth

I would think that the academics issue with WVU sailed when the ACC accepted Louisville. The new reason being given by some fans of original ACC teams is fan behavior will keep the Eers out in this type of scenario. Apparently the wine and cheese crowd of most ACC teams don't appreciate rowdiness of WVU fans.

Cheers,
Neil
The must LOVE SU hoop fans.

"But to be the best, I believe
you have to beat the best."

Head Coach Ben Schwartzwalder, The Express.

This guy paraphrased this idea as well

Texas will never join the ACC as a full member unless they bring along 3-4 of their regional underlings. If that happens along with PODs I could see them joining.

A ND type agreement is possible...but it will be really hard on their basketball teams.

Ok, I'll give it to you, even if nobody outside of academia would know or care. Regardless, athletics, and the money that comes with them, have driven conference alignment changes the last 30 years. Having WVU or Texas or anyone else playing basketball and football against UNC or Duke, or Wake Forest is not going to reduce their academic standing or dissuade students from going there. If UNC's own blatant academic fraud hasn't done it, nothing will. The whole academic thing is stupid. If WVU was Miami of 2001 and positioned in Chicago the ACC would've already called them.

The University Presidents care. As much as we believe athletics are important, research dollars are what really matter. In 2014, the University of Wisconsin spent $1.1 BILLION, yes BILLION, in research. Some of this money may have been self-funded, but most was paid through grants. In comparison, it received about $32.4 million from the Big Ten 2015.

Louisville was added to the ACC due to emergent circumstances. The ACC had to act quickly as a result of how Maryland left. Assuming no other schools leave in a similar way, I assume the next expansion will take into account both athletics and academics - so no WVU. As an alum of an ACC school, I have no problem with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom