Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mike & Mike (& Booger McFarland) on potential Big 12 demise & ND to ACC

Oh i agree with you too. Just a bit comical about using the academics card with wvu in the first place.

Do you really want to be associated with bumpkins and inbreds. Good Riddance bring on Texas if it comes to that. He'll see if Penn State would be receptive before WV.

The University Presidents care. As much as we believe athletics are important, research dollars are what really matter. In 2014, the University of Wisconsin spent $1.1 BILLION, yes BILLION, in research. Some of this money may have been self-funded, but most was paid through grants. In comparison, it received about $32.4 million from the Big Ten 2015.

Louisville was added to the ACC due to emergent circumstances. The ACC had to act quickly as a result of how Maryland left. Assuming no other schools leave in a similar way, I assume the next expansion will take into account both athletics and academics - so no WVU. As an alum of an ACC school, I have no problem with that.

Good post. The public thinks in terms of sports because A) Sports is a big part of our society and 2) there's a ton of media focused on nothing but Sports. It's entertainment, it sells. What the public doesn't know, because it's not flashy or entertaining, is how much money is spent and generated on the research and academic side of universities. It makes sports revenues look like pocket change.

WVU should be a natural addition to the ACC. Academics??? Seriously? A plant could get into Louisville, NC, and FSU. Give me a break.

Maybe not smart plants, but tough plants, like a snapdragon, eh?

My guess is that the networks don't like the B12 as its presently configured.

Texas will go to the ACC as a partial
The B1G will try to grab Oklahoma and Kansas, but end up w/ Kansas and MIZZOU

The SEC will get WVU to replace MIZZOU (which is an upgrade), and take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State from the B12.

Texas will retain their rivalry with Oklahoma, resume their rivalry with Texas A&M, and commit to playing Texas Tech every year.

The Pac will stay the same. The B12 will add SMU, Houston, BYU, Rice, and Tulane to go along with Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas State.

The SEC champ will play the ACC champ in the OB. The B12 champ will play the SEC #2 in the Sugar Bowl. The B1G champ will play the Pac champ in the Rose Bowl. Texas and ND will be in the ACC bowl lineup, but they will have a limited ability to play in the Sugar over a B12 team for a reduced payout. The SEC will demand it to up the TV value, and the B12 will be too weak to oppose. The B12 will receive a payout every year, but it will be reduced when ND/TX plays.

The University Presidents care. As much as we believe athletics are important, research dollars are what really matter. In 2014, the University of Wisconsin spent $1.1 BILLION, yes BILLION, in research. Some of this money may have been self-funded, but most was paid through grants. In comparison, it received about $32.4 million from the Big Ten 2015.

Louisville was added to the ACC due to emergent circumstances. The ACC had to act quickly as a result of how Maryland left. Assuming no other schools leave in a similar way, I assume the next expansion will take into account both athletics and academics - so no WVU. As an alum of an ACC school, I have no problem with that.
Research is the wrong metric to use when comparing academics for a number of reasons. The most obvious is that one school's membership has zero appreciable impact on its conference members' research output.

In addition to improving student life, athletics are an advertising vehicle. That's how they impact academics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom