Minnesota is what I expected us to do | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota is what I expected us to do

Really wow, nicely done Gophers. Let's see how SU's 8 or 9 win season does for recruiting in 2020.

All day site has them ranked 32nd
But yes Fleck is doing very well recruiting for them

Fleck was always known as a good recruiter. Babers' Bowling Green classes were towards the bottom of the MAC. He needed to bring in a few really good recruiters. We've got a couple of good recruiters, but you can't expect them to bring in a whole class by themselves.

I'd like to hear the different coaches pitches to see how effective they are/aren't as closers.

Another point. Since a lot of Babers staff know each other and have been together for a while, I wonder if an outside of their box recruiter would be ideal, different ideas and tactics?

This is why the argument about location and weather doesn't hold any weight

Of course that isn't at the heart of the case...however, if you were talking "bags," well now, that's horse of a different color. ;)

Some people will never get it. New stadium that is 4-5 years old. 200 million athletic village that was completed in 2018 I think. Seriously, some people will just never get it.

You guys are right Coyle is a genius. Fleck is a good coach but shiny things help too.

I think a top 25 class would cost the University about 400 million in construction not on the docket right now. Guys better start writing checks

Some people will never get it. New stadium that is 4-5 years old. 200 million athletic village that was completed in 2018 I think. Seriously, some people will just never get it.

You guys are right Coyle is a genius. Fleck is a good coach but shiny things help too.

I think a top 25 class would cost the University about 400 million in construction not on the docket right now. Guys better start writing checks

Or hire actual recruiters that know the area that you traditionally recruit and not your daughter’s father in laws from Texas and MAC level guys.

Well now I am very happy with SU's class if it costs 400 million to be in the top 20 in recruiting. How in heck...or why do people spend so much money for foolish things like that? It's not like UM is threatening to move if they don't get the $ like the billionaire owners in football/baseball do.

No doubt, there's a direct correlation between the degree/level a school commits to its program and the success it reaps relative to overall results. This has a considerably greater impact than the "uncontrollables" such as weather & location, etc.

Wouldn't UM be considered a pro town? They draw better than Pitt or BC as they have the VI Kings right next door as well as all of the main sports.

Indoor Practice Facility - DONE
Competitive pay and contract extensions for head coach and assistants - CHECK
Dome Renovations - YUP
Locker Room Renovations - ALL SET
Manley Field House Renovations - OLD NEWS
Inclusion in a Power 5 conference - YOU BETCHA

Sooo...what's the latest excuse as to why Syracuse Football is not competitive and can't recruit?

Indoor Practice Facility - DONE
Competitive pay and contract extensions for head coach and assistants - CHECK
Dome Renovations - YUP
Locker Room Renovations - ALL SET
Manley Field House Renovations - OLD NEWS
Inclusion in a Power 5 conference - YOU BETCHA

Sooo...what's the latest excuse as to why Syracuse Football is not competitive and can't recruit?

You can renovate your kitchen for 20K or you can renovate a kitchen for 200K. The one for 200K also has outdoor seating and poolside bar and the house is closer to a lot of your friends as well. Now, if you took a tour of the two kitchens and then decided which one you prefer as your own which one you think gets chosen more by top chefs. ( the $ isn't yours to have to worry about)

There are huge degrees of scale in facility renovations and I maintain I have renovated D3 facilities that rival some of what Syracuse has with regard to locker rooms etc.

All excuses I know, it's just that Dino can't close and his staff can't recruit other than 1 guy. It's the coach it's the coach!!!!!! Fire him and hire another one and in 2 years people will be saying all the same stuff

Not to mention they’ve made 12 bowl games in the past 15 years

Well now I am very happy with SU's class if it costs 400 million to be in the top 20 in recruiting. How in heck...or why do people spend so much money for foolish things like that? It's not like UM is threatening to move if they don't get the $ like the billionaire owners in football/baseball do.

Minnesota gets state money for facility upgrades and also get 54 million from the Big10. Syracuse doesn’t get state money.

Minnesota gets state money for facility upgrades and also get 54 million from the Big10. Syracuse doesn’t get state money.
and also had $70 million in donor funds for the Athletic village and I bet they have plenty of wealthy alumni right in Minneapolis willing to write checks to old state U. Comparing the two is just apples and oranges. Fleck and Coyle are doing a nice job but COME ON!!

so we might as well get out of the biz?

I spend about 13 weeks a year in Minnesota. That campus is pretty amazing. They have heavily invested in their programs and university. we have done just enough to skate by. There is your difference in recruiting. Until the university starts brings in more donar money and spends more of their own money this is where we will be relegated. Mediocrity mixed in with a decent year when the stars align. Lacrosse has fallen like football. Basketball is on that same trajectory now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom