Mintz to NBA Draft | Syracusefan.com

Mintz to NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopkins16

2nd String
From time to time I check the various mock drafts specifically to see where the "experts" place Mintz. As of today, I do not see his name in the first round but consistently as a mid 2nd rounder. I don't know what he must do to be thought of as a first rounder, especially being that I think we've seen the best version of Mintz. Where can he reasonably improve to jump into the first round? Is "he gone" even if at the end of the year he is still thought of as a 2nd rounder?

From time to time I check the various mock drafts specifically to see where the "experts" place Mintz. As of today, I do not see his name in the first round but consistently as a mid 2nd rounder. I don't know what he must do to be thought of as a first rounder, especially being that I think we've seen the best version of Mintz. Where can he reasonably improve to jump into the first round? Is "he gone" even if at the end of the year he is still thought of as a 2nd rounder?
Pass the ball. Point guards should be able to find open teammates, especially when driving into a 1 on 3 situation.

His shooting and defense have improved(mostly), but his distributing has gone backwards. He needs to show he can pass and he needs to show up against elite teams. UVA shutting him down did not help. Everyone knows he kills bad to mediocre teams.

His shooting and defense have improved(mostly), but his distributing has gone backwards. He needs to show he can pass and he needs to show up against elite teams. UVA shutting him down did not help. Everyone knows he kills bad to mediocre teams.
It seems to me that his distributing going backwards is a result of not having Jesse. It's easy to have good assist stats when you have a center that catches and finishes almost everything.

It seems to me that his distributing going backwards is a result of not having Jesse. It's easy to have good assist stats when you have a center that catches and finishes almost everything.
Maliq finishes almost everything as well.

It may just be me, but I remember an awful lot of times this year where he took the shot/points on the break instead of passing to one of his teammates. Some of those possessions have been pretty boneheaded.. Like 1 on 2 or 3 situations.

Listen don’t get me wrong Mintz is a GREAT player and kid. But like every player he has his flaws.

-his shot is pretty horrendous. It goes in, yes. But against bigger, faster, more athletic guys in the NBA…he’s not even gonna be able to get his shot off. The form is pretty horrendous and it’s slow. But works in college lol

-he’s a PG and that’s what he’ll play in the NBA. He is a very good passer but he’s not always a willing passer. Is it just because of his role on this team? Idk, but that’s questions NBA teams will have

-strength/weight. Mintz is a tough kid. Tough as nails. His toughness will not be questioned. But his weight and strength will be. He’s on the ground a lot, he’s very light and NBA teams are gonna question how he holds up in the NBA

-Shot selection. Once again it might be just what he’s asked to do on this team and how Autry wants him to play. But he does take a lot of questionable shots

Those are my main weaknesses for Mintz. I do 100% think he should leave this year especially if we make the NCAA’s. His stock probably wouldn’t be any higher then. Obviously he has far more strengths than weaknesses but these are his glaring weaknesses in my opinion

I also dont know how is game works in the NBA,, but if that is his goal and he can get drafted then he should go.. I dont think staying gets him any closer to that goal.

Maliq finishes almost everything as well.

It may just be me, but I remember an awful lot of times this year where he took the shot/points on the break instead of passing to one of his teammates. Some of those possessions have been pretty boneheaded.. Like 1 on 2 or 3 situations.
It’s not just you.

I don’t know if he doesn’t have the vision, or just chooses not too, but he very very rarely kicks it out to a shooter while driving. That was my biggest gripe last year when he had an upperclassman who just came off of a season shooting 40+% from 3 on high volume as his shooting guard, but he never drove and kicked it out to him. And as far as his shooting goes, well that has already been covered enough in the above posts. To me his quickness is elite, but that is it. There is no other way to explain the numbers he has put up for basically a year and a half, but his stock has not risen more.

I don’t think he does anything exceptionally well that NBA guys are looking for in a role player. Very ball dominant, always looking to score, shooting/defense isn’t elite, good passing flashes.

Kind of just puts up big numbers by living at the FT line on a mediocre college team. Great college player though, love that he’s on our team and not another.

You don't average 20 a game and 9fta and not get a shot in the NBA
I think NBA teams will need to evaluate whether HOW he gets his 20 a game translates at all to the NBA. For example Quentin Grimes scored 17ppg and shot 40% from 3 in college and now is in the league for his defense.

Judah shows the ability to be a lock down defender when he wants to. But his offense relies a LOT on out-athleting the other team and getting a lot of fouls called. I’m not sure that will translate against our ACC schedule, much less the NBA. UVA largely shut down our offense because one defender was able to lock down Mintz. Mintz needs to be able to prove he can create offense for others if he can’t get his or before he gets his to get next level looks.

You don't average 20 a game and 9fta and not get a shot in the NBA
A shot? Sure. The OP was about getting drafted in the 1st.

Judah is basically Cat Barber. Slashing guard who could shoot a little but made his bones at the free throw line. Barber was an UFA and got a few games in the NBA, but was a G-league guy (his FT attempt rate was cut in half in the G-league).

Sad thread he’s scoring 20/night and shooting 42% from 3. Still dishes it fine but we need him to score his cast is pretty erratic our teams just not that good still even if it’s improving and Judah to the line is a good possession.

Disappointed he’s not getting more love in here I think it’s ridiculous and pathetic the entire first round are mostly losers on G league unite or overrated foreigners.

If you told people back in May that Mintz would be shooting 42% from three everyone would think he’d be a lock for lottery. Not slipping to a lower position than he was a year ago.

UVA largely shut down our offense because one defender was able to lock down Mintz.
Against UVA Mintz was shut down by one very good defender and a very good pack line defense that relies on and requires a lot of help defense.

As to SU that day, the whole team was bad.

Agree with all the other comments and will be shocked if Mintz is back next year.

Sad thread he’s scoring 20/night and shooting 42% from 3. Still dishes it fine but we need him to score his cast is pretty erratic our teams just not that good still even if it’s improving and Judah to the line is a good possession.

Disappointed he’s not getting more love in here I think it’s ridiculous and pathetic the entire first round are mostly losers on G league unite or overrated foreigners.

If you told people back in May that Mintz would be shooting 42% from three everyone would think he’d be a lock for lottery. Not slipping to a lower position than he was a year ago.
He’s made 14 threes all season (5 of those in one game) and is currently shooting 38% from three, but hasn’t made a single one in 3 games. When we quote his stats we can and should bring up his free throw statistics….but we shouldn’t harp on his 3 point stats like it’s something magical. IMO

The group around him is often made up of guys who either avoid shooting or are inconsistent with their shooting. If your "kick out" options are JJ Cope and Brown then you are not going to end the day with many apples. Even if your kick out options are Bell Taylor and Benny there will still be some issues, whether that is inconsistency, low IQ for getting open, or struggling to release the ball quickly and take contested shots. I think our offensive sets have been stale at times, especially when we are trying to come back from a deficit and do to much. Often someone is able to help guard mintz without giving up a shot because the guy they are guarding either does not shoot or is not doing enough to give Mintz space. Not saying his own choices are not a factor, but these other things are a big part of his lower assist numbers and tendencies with passing.

There are a lot of reasons he’s not a first rounder and he doesn’t seem to care to fix the issues, they’re the same as last year.

The group around him is often made up of guys who either avoid shooting or are inconsistent with their shooting. If your "kick out" options are JJ Cope and Brown then you are not going to end the day with many apples. Even if your kick out options are Bell Taylor and Benny there will still be some issues, whether that is inconsistency, low IQ for getting open, or struggling to release the ball quickly and take contested shots. I think our offensive sets have been stale at times, especially when we are trying to come back from a deficit and do to much. Often someone is able to help guard mintz without giving up a shot because the guy they are guarding either does not shoot or is not doing enough to give Mintz space. Not saying his own choices are not a factor, but these other things are a big part of his lower assist numbers and tendencies with passing.
Scouts will pay attention to how he distributes and kicks out the ball to open teammates. Whether they make the shot or not is irrelevant from a scouting point of view - they just want to see that he makes the right decisions and move the ball as a floor general.

Mintz projects as an Immanuel Quickley sort of player. Spark plug off the bench and Mintz gets to the line at an elite level. He's easily worth a late first round pick imo

he’s not a great PG - he’s clearly a combo guard - he’s seriously lacks length and height - he’s not elite fast - he’s deep shot is fair - he’s nothing special as a defender - he ain’t going in the first round but he will definitely get a good chance to show he can make a team and he’s already a very good basketball player

We are averaging more PPG this year and shooting the same percentage from the field as last year. It's not a teammate thing. Watch him on breaks. He always takes the shot himself. ALWAYS. I'm not criticizing Mintz. He's a great college player, but the reason he doesn't have many assists is because he's a score first PG.

Mintz projects as an Immanuel Quickley sort of player. Spark plug off the bench and Mintz gets to the line at an elite level. He's easily worth a late first round pick imo
Quickley was 15 pounds heavier out of UK and shot 43% from 3 making over 2 a game and 93% from the line. Other than that maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom