Mintz to NBA Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Mintz to NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syracuse will accomplish what it needs to do to retain Judah. If Judah stays in cbb.

He’s frustrating and has maturing to do but this is not a Benny situation. Theres no addition by subtraction here.

What we need is a more solid foundation around Judah with JJ.

Getting to 20 wins in Red’s first season will help momentum towards that.

Syracuse will accomplish what it needs to do to retain Judah. If Judah stays in cbb.

He’s frustrating and has maturing to do but this is not a Benny situation. Theres no addition by subtraction here.

No it’s not a Benny situation, but if I was a CBB GM I don’t think Judah would be number 1 when taking up my NIL budget. That should be Maliq Brown.

No it’s not a Benny situation, but if I was a CBB GM I don’t think Judah would be number 1 when taking up my NIL budget. That should be Maliq Brown.

Maliq’s grown tremendously and shows further potential but I’m not sure i’d place him over Judah yet on pieces Syracuse needs in place to make a run back to March and the top 25.

Its very very clear though that the core three we need to add around next year are Brown, Judah and JJ. If we can add a solid big and some talent around them we are a competitor. Bell’s grown a lot too to his credit and Copeland shows the tools needed to win close games.

Saw a list of likely upcoming portal entries from Trilly Donovan’s discord (subscription) and Judah was on the list. Curious if anyone also heard the same about Judah potentially portaling after the season.

Edit: I guess this list is more so players who will demand more NIL or else they will look to transfer
No inside knowledge at all, but I'm kind of assuming he's gone one way or another. Either he tries his luck professionally or he transfers somewhere he thinks will help him get more NBA buzz.

Other than get to the free throw line, what does he do well?

I agree he’ll play overseas.
I'm sure there were players that may have succeeded driving into other players to draw contact but it is not a style for a long term professional career against bigger stronger players

I think it depends on how much Judah wants in terms of NIL. Like if Judah wants $500k+, will Cuse think it’s worth/be able to match?

Nova spent $1.3M-$1.5M on their 4 transfers and heard about a couple P5 incoming freshman supposedly getting $300k+ in NIL.

The grey area in all of this is Judah 'testing' the NBA waters again, leaving Red in a period where he can't comfortably go after a transfer PG, in case Judah decides to come back.

If Judah does go, it would be best for all parties timelines if he makes a firm commitment to leave from the start, not leaving the staff out to dry for a replacement.

If you listened to the end of Brad Brownell’s presser, you would come to the conclusion that Maliq is going to gather some serious interest from schools this offseason. We better be ready to match offers.
How nice. Have I mentioned that college sports is run by braindeads without a DNR?

Brown is the one I worry about hitting the portal. He’s beginning to hear his name and NBA used in the same sentence some. That likely isn’t as a 5. He may think he needs to work on things like ball handling and shooting as a 4.

some talent around them we are a competitor.
In order to add talent there needs to be available minutes via departures. Can’t keep everyone who has or was expected to see major minutes this season. But if Red and a “limited” NIL budget can do that, it’s a different conversation. Hard decisions ahead or lots of gambling on development that may not happen.

We can’t afford to lose Brown or Mintz. Our top two players last year transferred out and that can’t be a regular occurrence. Would be a horrible look.

I think it depends on how much Judah wants in terms of NIL. Like if Judah wants $500k+, will Cuse think it’s worth/be able to match?

Nova spent $1.3M-$1.5M on their 4 transfers and heard about a couple P5 incoming freshman supposedly getting $300k+ in NIL.
Every player on UNC gets an automatic 250k, every player.

(Judah) Either he tries his luck professionally or he transfers somewhere he thinks will help him get more NBA buzz.
If he really thinks being on a different team will get him more buzz, he must be drunk. Better play (more assists / higher 3pt percentage, better defense), will get him more buzz. That said, if he were on a top 15 team, he would likely get more assists because of the better talent. However, I doubt a top 15 team would pay him NIL to start - off the bench, sure.

If he really thinks being on a different team will get him more buzz, he must be drunk. Better play (more assists / higher 3pt percentage, better defense), will get him more buzz. That said, if he were on a top 15 team, he would likely get more assists because of the better talent. However, I doubt a top 15 team would pay him NIL to start - off the bench, sure.
Yeah, I don't necessarily think it's a rational thought but I wouldn't be surprised if he basically thought "I've been playing my ass off for two years here and have zero draft stock; might as well try somewhere else".

Can't stress enough, this is completely unfounded speculation on my part.

Where do we get these numbers from?Just curious
how a person finds out who gets what.
My friends down here in NC say for a fact that Babcot alone gets 7 figures.
Do fans really like where this has evolved to?? Still root for SU, just
don't follow big time college football or basketball any more. Never was a fan
of pro sports, but I'll watch that knowing the level of play is better
and it's run like a legitimate business.

Listen, Mintz is talented. He definitely may keep progressing in his abilities. I'd be happy if he came back. Honestly, his draft outlook is not good right now. His best NBA bet would probably trying to be a late second rounder or even just sign as a FA and try to get on with a good team that will be patient with him.

If he wants to stay in college, cool. I hope him seeing which way his draft stock has been sliding will make him maybe buy in a bit more to what he needs to do.

With all that said, Maliq Brown is arguably the second best passer on our team. He has the highest PER. He is an efficiency machine and he's growing by leaps and bounds both with things like his three point shooting and ability to defend the five, even tho hes not a center. I don't swear by BPM for the end all, be all, but he's #1 in BPM by 50% over Judah who is #2.

We need an overall influx of talent and buy in. We need Red to keep getting better. We are seeing some signs that things are looking up with the limited talent we have.

Finally, we need guys in the NBA for recruiting, period. Judah, Maliq, Donnie if he just stops here for one year, whatever. We are thin on guys in the NBA.

My friends down here in NC say for a fact that Babcot alone gets 7 figures.
Do fans really like where this has evolved to?? Still root for SU, just
don't follow big time college football or basketball any more. Never was a fan
of pro sports, but I'll watch that knowing the level of play is better
and it's run like a legitimate business.
I don't think many college sports fans like it, but nothing we can do about it (other than stop watching, which isn't an option for me - at least right now - I look forward to watching every game played). Eventually, there will be a correction. The current landscape just isn't sustainable.

How do scouts evaluate a Judah?
Individual abilities devoid of team, or how he makes the whole thing better?
Like was Wemby and Brandon Miller just super freak? Or how they made their teams successful?

He's the only player who can create and score on his own, except for sometimes Copeland and JJ. Take him off this team and Red would be drawing Kenny Payne comparisons.
That is not the issue at hand. Judah is a fine college player. We might well be worse without him. (Especially with JJ’s slow start.)
The question is his NBA draft chances.
The NBA is full of guys who, for the most part, are among the top 1% of athletes in the world. Add to that is the fact that collectively, they are probably the tallest single collective of humans in the world.
At that scale, Judah is a small, average athlete.
If he can become a playmaker defender who scores, he will find a place in the association. (He should pattern his game after Tony Parker or Chris Paul. Let others score, and pick your spots.)
His extreme confidence in himself as a scorer may actually hurt in that sense. If his team scores, it does better, and he believes he is the best chance to score. In any given possession, that is probably true, but his chances would increase exponentially if the defense had to worry about 4-5 other threats.
I am glad he chose SU. For me, vlbeing an all time great or favorite at SU has nothing to do with getting drafted. Judah is already there for me. He the single player in his class that kept the program afloat and relevant until Red took over.

That is not the issue at hand. Judah is a fine college player. We might well be worse without him. (Especially with JJ’s slow start.)
The question is his NBA draft chances.
The NBA is full of guys who, for the most part, are among the top 1% of athletes in the world. Add to that is the fact that collectively, they are probably the tallest single collective of humans in the world.
At that scale, Judah is a small, average athlete.
If he can become a playmaker defender who scores, he will find a place in the association. (He should pattern his game after Tony Parker or Chris Paul. Let others score, and pick your spots.)
His extreme confidence in himself as a scorer may actually hurt in that sense. If his team scores, it does better, and he believes he is the best chance to score. In any given possession, that is probably true, but his chances would increase exponentially if the defense had to worry about 4-5 other threats.
I am glad he chose SU. For me, vlbeing an all time great or favorite at SU has nothing to do with getting drafted. Judah is already there for me. He the single player in his class that kept the program afloat and relevant until Red took over.
My post was a week ago so I dont recall the exact circumstances but I’m pretty sure I posted that after reading dozens of posts saying we would be better without him and who cares if he transfers etc. Which I find to be wild.

I also believe a ball dominant guard with his body who struggles to shoot 3s will have a tough time sticking in the nba.

I'm sure there were players that may have succeeded driving into other players to draw contact but it is not a style for a long term professional career against bigger stronger players
He is no Bill Laimbeer, but he is quick enough, just needs to have a lot more range on his shooting and less turnovers. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom