MLB 2022 Lockout | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

MLB 2022 Lockout

I am glad you are happy about it.

People like baseball for different reasons.

Some are really into strategy and managerial decisions. A big part of that is gone now. If you don't understand or care, no worries. I know that part of the game is not something everyone enjoys.

I am happy baseball is back. Even in a marginalized form.

To me, the DH problem was that it became a thing in all levels. Hard to have a pitcher come up thru the minors where was DH'd for, and then suddenly he needs to hit when he gets to the show. So it became a 9 hitter, sac bunt with 1 out and a runner on first, when do you use a double switch to avoid it, type of strategy. I just don't think that was what Doubleday had in mind.

I know there are a lot of NL fans who liked it the way it was. Perhaps they should have left it that way for NL only games, but any game involving an AL team would have the DH. The disparity was even worse when an AL team would play in an NL park.

Just my 2 cents, but I grew up an AL fan, so my perspective is different.

This season is actually the end of real baseball. The way it was played for more than a century. Gone is much of the strategy and decision making.

The dumbing down of America continues.

But hey, fat old players can play a few years longer, the games will last even longer and .27 more runs will be scored a game, so we can all be happy about that.

Guys on the dying years of these mega-contracts have some justification. Can sit there in air conditioning and take swings while the baseball players are playing baseball.

Just a quick thought on why I think rosters will have to expand from 26 to, say, 28, for the first few weeks. It is not just that 3 1-2 weeks will not be enough time to stretch out most starters to, say, 100 pitches in standard way. It is that part of new CBA rules is that a player can only be optioned 5 times in a season. I would suspect teams will burn up a good deal of that in April having to get fresh arms up and down. Either there has to be a Mulligan on, say, April options or extra arms or else teams will have to summon pitchers they really don't want to use to avoid deploying too many options too soon in the season. The option issue was not minor. Consider that 8 teams, including the #Yankees, optioned at least 3 players 6 or more times in 2021. Thanks to Eric Nehs of MLB Network for that stat.

Just a quick thought on why I think rosters will have to expand from 26 to, say, 28, for the first few weeks. It is not just that 3 1-2 weeks will not be enough time to stretch out most starters to, say, 100 pitches in standard way. It is that part of new CBA rules is that a player can only be optioned 5 times in a season. I would suspect teams will burn up a good deal of that in April having to get fresh arms up and down. Either there has to be a Mulligan on, say, April options or extra arms or else teams will have to summon pitchers they really don't want to use to avoid deploying too many options too soon in the season. The option issue was not minor. Consider that 8 teams, including the #Yankees, optioned at least 3 players 6 or more times in 2021. Thanks to Eric Nehs of MLB Network for that stat.
That is reasonable.

Based on my understanding, here is how last season's post season would have lined-up under the new system.

AL Wild Card Round
3. White Sox Vs. 6. Blue Jays (Best of Three)
4. Red Sox Vs. 5. Yankees (Best of Three)

AL Division Series
1. Rays Vs. Red Sox/Yankees Winner (Best of Five)
2. Asros Vs. White Sox/Blue Jays Winner (Best of Five)

NL Wild Card Round
3. Braves Vs. 6. Reds (Best of Three)
4. Dodgers Vs. 5. Cardinals (Best of Three)

NL Division Series
1. Giants Vs. Dodgers/Cardinals Winner (Best of Five)
2. Brewers Vs. Braves/Reds Winner (Best of Five)

This is okay to me. I have only three complaints:

1. The #4 seed (i.e., first wild card) will often be better than the 3rd division winner and sometimes even the 2nd division winner (as it was in last year's NL). In that scenario, the #1 seed is playing the best potential opponent in the division series.

2. If the #3 seed and #4 seed are from the same division, there is little incentive for either team to win the division.

3. I wish the division series were best of seven.

How many games have the Mets lost for Jacob DeGrom going 7 IN allowing 0 or 1 ER?

Now he can pitch as long as he is effective and potentially get more run support with a DH.
The only reason I care is because I HATED inter league games at the NL park when I’d have to watch our AL pitchers suddenly have to hit. Otherwise I wouldn’t care if the NL wanted to continue with their “pure” form of baseball . They could have require a kangaroo to play SS and I wouldn’t care otherwise

Sort of ridiculous that many players repped by one guy all get on the committee.. and all of them were huge money players .. a little diversity maybe ?

The only reason I care is because I HATED inter league games at the NL park when I’d have to watch our AL pitchers suddenly have to hit. Otherwise I wouldn’t care if the NL wanted to continue with their “pure” form of baseball . They could have require a kangaroo to play SS and I wouldn’t care otherwise
To bad they didn't get rid of interleague games, absolutely ridiculous to have to play teams not in your league.

FNmnTitXIAY-_ls

To bad they didn't get rid of interleague games, absolutely ridiculous to have to play teams not in your league.
Get rid of the separate leagues. There is no longer any difference between them. Three ten team divisions would be pretty cool.

The Mets continue to trade top prospects for 1 year rentals. Not a fan of this but with a shortened spring training, and lingering effects from the partial COVID year, I expect a lot of pitching injuries. The Mets at least addressed starting pitching depth here.

With DeGrom, Scherzer, Bassett, Carrasco and Walker, they have a nice 5 man rotation. Peterson, Megill, Lucchesi, Yakamoto, and even Trevor Williams, they have a lot of guys who have started games in the majors.

Gotta address the bullpen now. Lost Familia to the Phils today, which might not be a bad thing. If we can add a solid righty and a lefty, I will be happy with the pitching staff. Guessing McNeil is going to be traded shortly. It is a shame because he is a terrific hitter but he and Lindor can’t play with each other and they aren’t going to get rid of Francisco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom