More cord cutting news | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More cord cutting news

That's pretty cool. Definitely an option now.
I have one from a few years ago (different brand) that used time-based recording... not nearly as handy as program-based recording which this box offers.

Coupled with PS Vue/SlingTV this could provide a decent solution.

PS Vue offers a couple of "must have" channels as well as multiple streams (up to 5: 1 PS4, 1 PS3, multiple Amazon Fire/stick devices) in the house. It provides WatchESPN/ESPN3 access. You're also tied to your home location other than through their mobile app which limits the channels a bit, but does include the ESPN streams. $35/mo.

SlingTV has fewer channels and only allows one concurrent stream in packages with ESPN, It does offer WatchESPN/ESPN3 access and allows you to use the service anywhere... just log in. $20-$40/mo.

Edit: updated to reflect PS Vue access to WatchESPN/ESPN3.

Last edited:
I have one from a few years ago (different brand) that used time-based recording... not nearly as handy as program-based recording which this box offers.

Coupled with PS Vue/SlingTV this could provide a decent solution.

PS Vue offers a couple of "must have" channels as well as multiple streams (up to 5: 1 PS4, 1 PS3, multiple Amazon Fire/stick devices) in the house. It appears to lack WatchESPN/ESPN3 access. You're also tied to your home location other than through their mobile app which limits the channels a bit, but does include the ESPN streams. $35/mo.

SlingTV has fewer channels and only allows one concurrent stream. It does offer WatchESPN/ESPN3 access and allows you to use the service anywhere... just log in. $20-$40/mo.

FYI PS Vue does have WatchESPN/ESPN3 access.

I got my Directv down to 70$/month for a year and I get everything I want. Will go back to war with them again in December

you can cut the cord, limit the choices and have a much worse tv experience, or you can pay the money. the more tv you watch the more having cable/sat has a value. when you can get down to just a few shows and dont care that you watch a series months after it was live then cutting the cord is much easier.. i cant see doing it just because of sports. i watch more than 1 game all the time and all the streaming apps in the world just suck at channel changing.

i watch more than 1 game all the time and all the streaming apps in the world just suck at channel changing.
That's why you have more than one TV. :)

During college football season we always have at least 2 TVs going, a third gets added on several weekends.

upperdeck said:
you can cut the cord, limit the choices and have a much worse tv experience, or you can pay the money. the more tv you watch the more having cable/sat has a value. when you can get down to just a few shows and dont care that you watch a series months after it was live then cutting the cord is much easier.. i cant see doing it just because of sports. i watch more than 1 game all the time and all the streaming apps in the world just suck at channel changing.

That tech will change and get better. Switching "channels", scrubbing, picture in picture - is all technically possible.

Cheapskates!

I don't know how you chord-cutters do it. I would love to eliminate my Dish Network bill but I like too many shows and sports programs. Plus we never watch anything live unless it's on after the kids go to bed. If there was a way to do all of that cheaper I'm all for it but I just haven't found it yet.

That tech will change and get better. Switching "channels", scrubbing, picture in picture - is all technically possible.
not really. streaming and buffering are a long way off from equaling just changing a channel. PIP is done on espn now but even with gigabet download and pretty good computers it still buffers way worse than a cable picture. now in 3-5 years it may work but by then its also likely the costs will have gone up. remember cell phones started at $25-30 a month too.

Cheapskates!

I don't know how you chord-cutters do it. I would love to eliminate my Dish Network bill but I like too many shows and sports programs. Plus we never watch anything live unless it's on after the kids go to bed. If there was a way to do all of that cheaper I'm all for it but I just haven't found it yet.
PS Vue has a cloud DVR function. Will retain your "recordings" for 28 days. They also claim to have the last 3 days' programming available for on-demand viewing.

upperdeck said:
not really. streaming and buffering are a long way off from equaling just changing a channel. PIP is done on espn now but even with gigabet download and pretty good computers it still buffers way worse than a cable picture. now in 3-5 years it may work but by then its also likely the costs will have gone up. remember cell phones started at $25-30 a month too.

Switching channels in SlingTV's app is pretty quick.

It won't be that long.

Costs will be competitive because you're not dealing with one vendor (TWC) - more competition, lower prices. I expect cable will lose customers until it finds a way to cut its prices, break up large bundles (more choice).

Plus Internet will continue to get better. Algorithms for shrinking sizes and quicker delivery methods will continue to get faster.

Look where the pressure is and who is applying it. Customers (esp young customers) are screaming for faster internet to do like 10 things, and complaining that the cost to watch cable TV is too high.

I cut cable and went with Sling. I already had Netflix, so I just kept that. After a week, I didn't miss cable.
I'll check out the Playstation option if it comes to Roku, since I already equipped 3 TVs with Roku, I don't want to buy other devices.
Grab a decent antenna for CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC.
I have the Kodi thing, but it is garbage for sports. Good, but not great for movies and TV, I barely use it though and I really overpaid. Plus, it feels pretty illegal, though I don't know. I paid enough money for the thing a couple years ago that my conscious is clear lol!!

#KeepTheKord

My son and I are both Red Wings fans. I have 2 kids, one of which is only 7, and I have to get him in the shower, read stories, etc at bed time. Well the other night, during the NHL playoffs, I wasn't able to watch the game completely live and we weren't even home until after it started. So what happened was this, the game was set to record, my older son got his stuff done and started to watch the game on delay in his room. After I finished with my younger son, he went to the living room to watch his show, my older son was still watching his version on delay, at which point I was able to go in my room and start my version on delay. This did not affect my older son at all. We had two delayed versions of the game playing at the same time but at different parts of the game all while my younger boy was watching regular TV on the DVR box. DirectTV and their genie boxes are awesome. I pay about $70/month and will continue to do so happily. The free NFL Sunday Ticket package to sign on didn't hurt my feelings towards them either.

#KeepTheKord

My son and I are both Red Wings fans. I have 2 kids, one of which is only 7, and I have to get him in the shower, read stories, etc at bed time. Well the other night, during the NHL playoffs, I wasn't able to watch the game completely live and we weren't even home until after it started. So what happened was this, the game was set to record, my older son got his stuff done and started to watch the game on delay in his room. After I finished with my younger son, he went to the living room to watch his show, my older son was still watching his version on delay, at which point I was able to go in my room and start my version on delay. This did not affect my older son at all. We had two delayed versions of the game playing at the same time but at different parts of the game all while my younger boy was watching regular TV on the DVR box. DirectTV and their genie boxes are awesome. I pay about $70/month and will continue to do so happily. The free NFL Sunday Ticket package to sign on didn't hurt my feelings towards them either.

Wait until next year when they ask you to re-sign up for the NFL Sunday Ticket and it is $349 a year. Or after 2 years when your $70 becomes $99 or $119.

#KeepTheKord

Pyle for you it might work...Sling works great for me. (I'm really only passionate about Cuse sports and college games in general). I get 98% of my fix with Sling and I save over $1000 a year with a totally portable viewing platform. Trust me there are some compromises: picture quality occasionally fades and it is slower channel surfing but it works for me.