More Rebounds than a Dead Guy | Syracusefan.com

More Rebounds than a Dead Guy

OrangeTarheel

It’s time to kick names and take ass
I can’t recall when JB said this and about whom - can anyone provide that context?

I can’t recall when JB said this and about whom - can anyone provide that context?
Pretty sure it was a comment about Danny Schayes getting just one rebound against DePaul in the 1981 game where they waxed us...

Pretty sure it was a comment about Danny Schayes getting just one rebound against DePaul in the 1981 game where they waxed us...
I thought it was a quote JB had about Conrad McCrae after Conrad (more of a shot blocker than a rebounder) had a game where he did not rebound well.

He might have said it about Danny too. Though Danny was usually solid rebounding the ball.

Wow I thought it was a lot more recent than that

Wasnt this a Tyler Roberson reference?
Found it.

But the most significant Syracuse struggle was that of McRae, the junior center who was limited to 4 points. McRae's thundering dunk 9 minutes 7 seconds into the game, with Mourning right behind, gave Syracuse a 5-point and rose the decibel level from ridiculous to painful. Boeheim's Concern

The Orangemen never had a bigger lead. McRae never had another basket. And his effort on the backboards in the past two defeats -- 11 rebounds, all offensive, in 59 minutes -- became a focus of Coach Jim Boeheim's thinking.

"Either he can't rebound, and I don't think that's the case," Boeheim went on, "or he hasn't gotten that message. He has gone 50 minutes without a defensive rebound. Dead people could get rebounds if they're out there 50 minutes."

Thank you - I really thought that happened in the last decade but I probably just heard it from you all from
Time to time in the last decade

Thank you - I really thought that happened in the last decade but I probably just heard it from you all from
Time to time in the last decade

Oh, I'm pretty sure JAB dusted it off in reference to Tyler Roberson at least once in his Cuse career.

He's good at recycling his one-liners over time.

Oh, I'm pretty sure JAB dusted it off in reference to Tyler Roberson at least once in his Cuse career.

He's good at recycling his one-liners over time.
Could be. And he might have said it about Danny. I can only say the first time, and the only time I remember him saying it, it was about Conrad.

I thought it was a quote JB had about Conrad McCrae after Conrad (more of a shot blocker than a rebounder) had a game where he did not rebound well.

He might have said it about Danny too. Though Danny was usually solid rebounding the ball.
Tried to find the box score from that game. No dice. So, no idea if I am right or way off.

BTW, for everyone, that quote is not a JBism. It is attributed to Abe Lemons.

Tried to find the box score from that game. No dice. So, no idea if I am right or way off.

BTW, for everyone, that quote is not a JBism. It is attributed to Abe Lemons.
I believe you. JB has always liked a good quote and a little dig at a player he is disappointed in and thinks can do better...

Could be. And he might have said it about Danny. I can only say the first time, and the only time I remember him saying it, it was about Conrad.
I believe JB first used the criticism when coaching John the Baptist and a group of the original Mandaeans against some Roman soldiers in a primitive form of basketball. He is quoted as saying "John the Baptist a prophet? The guy can't even rebound. A dead man can get more rebounds than that guy."

He definitely said it about James Southerland once (Marquette?) when he earned a random start and then didn't play so well.

i think it was tyler roberson. dude got BOEHEIMED despite holding our all time record for most offensive rebounds in a season . (150) doghoused woof woof.

As Tomcat referenced above, it was Conrad. I was working at voice of the Orange WSYR radio at the time. Ted Deluca, our sports guy, comes back from the press conference laughing about the quote.

I think he used the sound bite 100 times the next day.

I’ll always remember that our sports guys Hyder and Deluca loved “Rad”. Good kid and always nice to the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom