Mt Rushmore of all time great sports photos | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mt Rushmore of all time great sports photos

1590655047808.jpeg

The year for this photo is 1983-84. I believe Brendan Malone is at the center this picture. I am less sure but think the African-American coach next to him is a very young Wayne Morgan.

Gene Waldon is the only player you can see in uniform. I think George Papadakos and Sonny Spera are shown on the far right in their warm ups.

Might be Eddie Moss in the suit behind Brendan.

Not sure what the hubbub is about but based on the craziness, it is probably immediately after Pearl made the half court shot against BC.

Note the student body behind the Syracuse bench. This was when the students still had control of half of the seats in the movable end zone sections and the teams were seated to the east of the court. That was changed later to move the teams to the west of the court, so the TV cameras could pick up the players and coaches better.

If we ever put in individual seating in the dome and force everyone to move their seats, I hope as part of that disruptive operation, we find a way to get the students to court side seating. Get them directly behind the sideline where the teams sit. Maximize home court advantage and make a statement to the students about their importance.

Last edited:
The year for this photo is 1983-84. I believe Brendan Malone is at the center this picture. I am less sure but think the African-American coach next to him is a very young Wayne Morgan.

Gene Waldon is the only player you can see in uniform. I think George Papadakos and Sonny Spera are shown on the far right in their warm ups.

Not sure what the hubbub is about but based on the craziness, it is probably immediately after Pearl made the half court shot against BC.

Note the student body behind the Syracuse bench. This was when the students still had control of half of the seats in the movable end zone sections and the teams were seated to the east of the court. That was changed later to move the teams to the west of the court, so the TV cameras could pick up the players and coaches better.

If we ever put in individual seating in the dome and force everyone to move their seats, I hope as part of that disruptive operation, we find a way to get the students to court side seating. Get them directly behind the sideline where the teams sit. Maximize home court advantage and make a statement to the students about their importance.

I never saw either of those stills before, awesome.

Eddie Moss was a GA on that team, so you're probably right about that. Looks like Wayne didn't join the staff until 1984, so I don't know who the guy in the suit is.

Poor Bernie with his 1980s mustache, especially in light of the later allegations. Quite the look.

This is definitely the aftermath of Pearl's buzzer beater.

Verified by Sonny. :)

Game 4, 1998, San Diego. I lived in LA at the time and I bought my ticket, but my NY friend bailed on me. It felt like the nosebleeds were 50% Yankee fans. I sat in front of a San Diego fan - he moved there from NYC 40 someodd years ago and was a golden gloves boxing champ. Talked the whole time and I seemed to be one of the only "respectable" Yankee fans in our vicinity. Then again, I was sitting in front of a golden gloves winner, 70 years old or not.
oct-1998-general-view-of-the-new-york-yankees-in-celebration-the-picture-id72570326

Game 4, 1998, San Diego. I lived in LA at the time and I bought my ticket, but my NY friend bailed on me. It felt like the nosebleeds were 50% Yankee fans. I sat in front of a San Diego fan - he moved there from NYC 40 someodd years ago and was a golden gloves boxing champ. Talked the whole time and I seemed to be one of the only "respectable" Yankee fans in our vicinity. Then again, I was sitting in front of a golden gloves winner, 70 years old or not.
oct-1998-general-view-of-the-new-york-yankees-in-celebration-the-picture-id72570326
114-48, then 11-2 in postseason. Seems like yesterday.

Was about 10 years old and was really lucky to have a older cousin and her soon to be husband in "the biz".
Me and my brother got to sit behind the hard camera for a few of the Stanley Cup years for free, never had tickets. Older cousin took us everywhere and we were such knuckleheads.
s-l1600.jpg

Some additional goodies

Attachments

• 285F0238-AFCE-4B0F-A80F-8FAE0715BB42.jpeg
    285F0238-AFCE-4B0F-A80F-8FAE0715BB42.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 4084EC61-DADE-4C82-99D6-22FC54B0D736.jpeg
    4084EC61-DADE-4C82-99D6-22FC54B0D736.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 111

Forum statistics

Threads
Members