My only comment on the Mike Rice situation. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My only comment on the Mike Rice situation.

Oh, I agree. That is the point. Where do you draw the line?

I agree that punching a player in the face would have been over any line.

I do not agree that his use of language was "horribly homphobic". It was pretty mild stuff and he wasn't actual;y accusing them of being homosexuals.

Some questions:

Did any of these basketball ever hit anybody in the head?

What do you actually know of America in the 1950's? Especially as it relates to how people were treated, what was acceptable, etc. Are you drawing your conclusions based on movies you might have watched?

Anyone ever accuse you of being a drama queen?

translation..."it really wasn't that bad back then..just a bunch of hype by some negroes"

Did he actually credibly accuse anyone of being gay? Or did he compare their efforts to that he might expect from a faggot?

gays are actually higher earning subset of the population than non gays. higher educated. one could argue that he should have been shouting

"you play like a heterosexual"

If anyone is a drama queen, isn't it Mike Rice? He has less control of his emotions than anyone I've ever scene.

Rice used poor judgement. I don't think his actions were particularly motivational. That was what he was trying to do. You realize that don't you?

I'd say the drama queens among us are hyperventilating over the use of a few newly forbidden words.

translation..."it really wasn't that bad back then..just a bunch of hype by some negroes"

Actually, its just factually incorrect.The sort of thing he describes never happened that I saw or heard about ... except in current movies about the 1950's. Which is, of course, where you guys are getting your information from.

Remember in "The Express" when Ernie Davis was called names by the WVU crowd. Great theater, I guess. But bad history. It never happened.

You cannot depend upon the Hollywood version of things for history. It's make-believe.

gays are actually higher earning subset of the population than non gays. higher educated. one could argue that he should have been shouting

"you play like a heterosexual"
What higher earnings has to do with effort playing basketball escapes me.

But if he had called them "heterosexuals" the uber-sensitive pc's among us wouldn't be horrified because one of the "forbidden" words wouldn't have been used.

I'm the original live and let live guy. I couldn't care less about anyone's sexual preference.

Actually, its just factually incorrect.The sort of thing he describes never happened that I saw or heard about ... except in current movies about the 1950's. Which is, of course, where you guys are getting your information from.

Remember in "The Express" when Ernie Davis was called names by the WVU crowd. Great theater, I guess. But bad history. It never happened.

You cannot depend upon the Hollywood version of things for history. It's make-believe.
Wait, are you arguing that the n-word was never used as an insult in the 1950s? If so, read the letter to Jim Brown on p. 65 here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ot4DAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA65&ots=6jAGihtwG6&dq=jim%20brown%20%22nigger%22%20threats&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q&f=false.

Wait, are you arguing that the n-word was never used as an insult in the 1950s? If so, read the letter to Jim Brown on p. 65 here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ot4DAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA65&ots=6jAGihtwG6&dq=jim%20brown%20%22nigger%22%20threats&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q&f=false.

Never used? Never used? You actually think anyone's position was that any words were never used?

What we are talking about here was what was in common or even frequent use. I went to integrated schools and served in an integrated armed forces and I rarely heard the word used and certainly never heard anybody called that.

The picture of America of in the 1950's you get from watching Hollywood movies isn't any more accurate than the picture of the Old West in the 1880's shown in Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

Find someone you trust who was actually there and ask them what America was like then.

At first your attempts in this thread were somewhat humorous. But then they started to become embarrassing and are now nearing the repulsive category. You might just want to cut your losses on this one.

At first your attempts in this thread were somewhat humorous. But then they started to become embarrassing and are now nearing the repulsive category. You might just want to cut your losses on this one.
I take it you don't like opinions other than your own.

How were you able to become right about everything?

Never used? Never used? You actually think anyone's position was that any words were never used?

What we are talking about here was what was in common or even frequent use.
You wrote (emphasis added): "Actually, its just factually incorrect.The sort of thing he describes never happened that I saw or heard about ..."

And you're right: We are talking about language that is in common use today -- and if you don't think that, in 2013, "faggot" is anything but inflammatory, bless your heart.

I take it you don't like opinions other than your own.

How were you able to become right about everything?
How about you take it over to the non-basketball forum so we don't have to be subjected to your delusions here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom