My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

But our tailgating is spread out and weak...it was embarrassing before the USF game. The Fine and Standart Lots had about 4 active tailgates going 3 hours prior...that is weak for 12:30pm. The USF fans (all 3 of them) in Standart were not impressed.
our home record against P5 or just in general has been horrific for 15 years. I couldn't give a flying about what some shitty USF fan had to say about our tailgating scene. grow up dude.

I don't agree with that. You can hedge your bet. Sure you can get a team like CMU that beats Okie State. But then they go out and lose to UVA. They are capable of beating you but aren't a Top 40 team. You can never be 100% safe. AAC and MWC teams are generally stronger than the other G5 teams. We probably should never play any of those schools ever again.
I agree with what you say but I don't think Cuse fans want 4 OOC schlubs every year. I'm a fan of 3 G5 and 1 P5 OOC model. I think we can agree that Cuse has over-scheduled but I also think they (SU AD and Staff) didn't expect us to be mostly mediocre or worse since 2001.

I honestly don't know who you are...but Syracuse.com wants you back.
wait, so are you honestly saying that you don't understand why the tailgating scene isn't as good as you think it should be?

I agree with what you say but I don't think Cuse fans want 4 OOC schlubs every year. I'm a fan of 3 G5 and 1 P5 OOC model. I think we can agree that Cuse has over-scheduled but I also think they (SU AD and Staff) didn't expect us to be mostly mediocre or worse since 2001.

I think within the next 5 years all the P5 conferences will be at ten P5 games plus two G5 games per year. I think FCS games will go away (unless a 13th game is added). When that day comes SU should never play AAC or MWC teams ever again. We will need 2 cupcakes to go along with the ten P5 games. Until then we have to play by ACC rules one P5 OOC. As long as everyone else is, we should play one FCS OOC. That leaves 2 OOC games. IMO those should be from the list I provided earlier. I would probably add Tulane to that list as well given our close relationship with them. Also you can add Buffalo and EMU.

As a fan I would love to play pretty much all of the AAC teams. But that is not what is best for the program.

Last edited:
I think within the next 5 years all the P5 conferences will be at ten P5 games plus two G5 games per year. I think FCS games will go away (unless a 13th game is added). When that day comes SU should never play AAC or MWC teams ever again. We will need 2 cupcakes to go along with the ten P5 games. Until that day comes we have to play by ACC rules one P5 OOC. As long as everyone else is, we should play one FCS OOC. That leaves 2 OOC games. IMO those should be from the list I provided earlier. I would probably add Tulane to that list as well given our close relationship with them. Also you can add Buffalo and EMU.

As a fan I would love to play pretty much all of the AAC teams. But that is not what is best for the program.

Sal...I agree 100% with that...but Cuse has to hedge their bets until then.

Personally I think when UConn comes to the Dome we will steamroll them...their recruiting is falling behind. I still like playing them as a close geographic road trip...it also is in the sweet spot for our alumni and future students.

wait, so are you honestly saying that you don't understand why the tailgating scene isn't as good as you think it should be?

It's OK, TexanMark is still trying to get a handle on the tailgating scene, but have some patience with him. Otherwise he is a very good fan.

I thought the color guy on tv was good. Better than dave. Thought he had good insight.

I'll leave the scheduling fights to others. Made the trip to UConn from Liverpool in a little less than 4 hours. (5 and a half back though - talk about that later) Gorgeous weather for a game and for traveling. Thank you to CTO for the hotel suggestion, it was great. Was fortunate to be able to see and even meet some of the new young staff and wish the players that I saw, my best for a fantastic game the next day. Thank you also to my sons for a great birthday present, seats in the 3rd row behind SU's bench at the 35 yard line.

I like the Rentshler,- wide, wide concourses easy to navigate. They had separate kiosk type booths separate from the food, selling individual brands of beer etc. Bud , Coors, Sam Adams etc plus some craft beer kiosks (Harpoon seemed very popular) helps keep lines very manageable at the food venues. There were no ushers double checking your ticket going to your seats, making it smoother, quicker to get to and from your seats. For old people( like me) and little kids ( like how I act) there is a handrail down the middle of wider aisles than the dome between sections, making it safer to get to, from your seat to the concourse. UConn also has issues with late arrivals. Lots of prime empty seats too, must be a more universal problem. Surprised to see UConn picking the sidelines looking right into the sun. Despite being 30 miles from their Campus, they had good student attendance.

Their band is huge. It looked like they had about 300+ or so members in their band. Definitely more than double SU's size. Hard to figure when we have so many locally nationally known high school bands. The CBS telecast had a cameraman on a platform lift obscuring views from the seats along SU's (visitor's) sideline following the action. That's something the prime seats in the dome don't have to contend with. The most noticeable difference between the teams right away was the size differential. UConn looked huge , taller and carrying much more "girth" than SU. Thankful that SU proved the old saying "the bigger they are... " . Our kids played tough. Got to love the human vacuum, Amba, - the UConn fans around me kept saying "we can't guard #7". True dat.

Not one of the policemen, security, nor various parking attendants had any idea where the Pratt and Whitney Aero Club nor lot was. We got there early and were able to checkout the entire stadium and most of the parking lots trying to find the Syracusefan.com tailgate with no luck. The UConn fans I met were very good sports. A few asked me my feelings about leaving the Big East, being in the ACC and their hopes to be in a P5 conference. There were a couple of loud jerks who were mocking Strickland and Frederick while riding bikes on the sideline but it was pretty much a drama free game between fans.

It was a beautiful day, perfect football weather so the venue was perfect. If it had been colder, rainy, more windy, cloudy day - to be honest... I'm also certain my thoughts on the venue and walking through mud lots, open concourses etc might be different. I could see how the wind could be a real issue there. It was a perfect day , a great venue for being outside watching football Saturday.

Went to the basketball Hall of Fame on the way home Sunday. Great seeing JB references everywhere, the Syracuse Nat's and all the SU greats honored etc. However leaving the Hall of Fame resulted for us being in the biggest traffic nightmare we've ever experienced. The city of Springfield closed the city on-ramps back to route 91 N. We were stuck on a 4 lane one way boulevard that moved 3 blocks in an hour and 40 minutes. Sunday morning vocabulary and traffic etiquette were definitely not on display. Springfield is now a dirty word in our house, at least until my husband's suppressed road rage dissipates. :noidea: Sorry for the length.

That is okay Cherie I asked several UConn fans what radio station broadcast the game and was met with blank stares...I knew it was an am station. Finally found it...I enjoy listening to the opponent's broadcast for a different POV.

Umass is a no brainer team to be scheduling. We should schedule Colgate/Buffalo, Umass/Uconn yearly. At least with Umass we could play them in Gillette which would be a great venue for fans.

I am firmly on the tomato can side for OOC games and the longer UConn is not P5 the better game it is for us. We should win it, and a good local trip.

Teams in FL and Ohio have too much talent that can jump up and bit a team like ours. UConn, etc not so much.

I thought the color guy on tv was good. Better than dave. Thought he had good insight.

I finally watched the game last night. I thought Chavous was pretty good too for most of it. But a real slip up at the end. Saying maybe UConn is going to go for 3 first, then try to get the ball back for the TD...when they were down 14.

I didn't feel like it was a game full of those miscues though. I liked his defensive insight. He seemed pretty interested in Coleman and Black for us, thinks they're both going to be good.

20,000 people aren't going to games.

I was up there for Louisville and things were pretty lively by 4. Of course I'm normally in the Adams/University area. That's always an early and often tailgate area.

Yeah I was in that area for USF and thought it was bumping early. The lot we parked in was full by 1.

Except when he kept saying that UConn should kick the FG and make it a one score game when they were down 14 toward the end of the game. He said it like 3 times haha.

Spend a football weekend in Knoxville. You'll never have more fun and you'll never see people more spread out for tailgating.

People were tailgating at gas pumps!

Just got back from Knoxville...and YES! By far the best football tailgating and game experience ever! The people of Knoxville are so friendly too! We got invited to so many tailgates. Seeing all the tailgating along the river where we were, then the huge garage next to the stadium and all the lots around there...just amazing. At halftime when the Vols were down 21-3, I was thinking in my head. Wow just like home the tailgating is better than the game. Then the second half explosion by the Vols sent Neyland into a frenzy and it was insane!! I've never heard Rocky Top so many times...and it's even in my head this morning thinking about the trip!
Just a great time...highly recommended!
And oh yeah just about everyone we talked to thanked Syracuse!! They all knew it wasn't pass interference! Man, makes you wonder how 98 would've went if we started off 2-0 vs Tennessee and Michigan!?
I'll be rooting for the Vols for the rest of the year along with the Orange! I can't wait for Babers to get this thing rolling because we can get back there again!!
And one more thing...Florida was doing the same thing we've experienced with the fake injuries to slow the other team down. 105,000 people booing the "injured" Gator as he pops up smiling. The rule needs to be changed with more teams going hurry up. The player should be out until the change of possession.

Their AA candidate at CB, Summers, was matched against Amba and was as abused as any CB has ever been abused in the history of college football. Amba made some money and Summers lost some, no question.
I mentioned to TexanMark a couple of times during the game that UCONN had an NFL caliber corner. Figured it must have been #6 on the opposite side of the field. Wondered why they weren't matching him up with AET not realizing the NFL caliber corner WAS the poor guy that Amba was undressing all day. Amba transferring to Cuse will go down in history with buying Manhattan for $24 dollars worth of beads as one of the all time great financial decisions.

UB is a no brainer. Was there Saturday. Huge lots near the stadium. Band playing in an open tailgate area right next to the stadium.

Would take over that place.

UB is a no brainer. Was there Saturday. Huge lots near the stadium. Band playing in an open tailgate area right next to the stadium.

Would take over that place.
I agree. We have before and hopefully will again.

It is like a dress rehearsal for real away games. And the players can have top notch wings after the game.

Their first available opening is in 2020. If SU wants to book them, someone has to wake up and make a phone call soon.

Nice win for the Bulls upsetting Army Saturday. Congrats Trueblue25. Was worried they were going to go 0-12.

Last edited:
I agree. We have before and hopefully will again.

It is like a dress rehearsal for real away games. And the players can have top notch wings after the game.

Their first available opening is in 2020. If SU wants to book them, someone has to wake up and make a phone call soon.

Nice win for the Bulls upsetting Army Saturday. Congrats Trueblue25. Was worried they were going to go 0-12.
That Lance Leipold guy has mega recruiting contacts thru out the midwest from his time as coach at WiscWW .. That team could become very dangerous when he gets things the way he wants them , and that defeat of Army shows they are improving fast .

I finally watched the game last night. I thought Chavous was pretty good too for most of it. But a real slip up at the end. Saying maybe UConn is going to go for 3 first, then try to get the ball back for the TD...when they were down 14.

I didn't feel like it was a game full of those miscues though. I liked his defensive insight. He seemed pretty interested in Coleman and Black for us, thinks they're both going to be good.
I don't see the genius of Matt and Chris. I've had to listen to them for 2 games now and whether it be filler (USF) or analysis (UCONN), I am missing their genius. I watched the replay of UCONN and thought the TV guys were superior.

I don't see the genius of Matt and Chris. I've had to listen to them for 2 games now and whether it be filler (USF) or analysis (UCONN), I am missing their genius. I watched the replay of UCONN and thought the TV guys were superior.

Matt does a poor job with football. He is a lot better at BBall. I don't think Gedney is great either. IMO for radio you want a total homer who is a cheerleader. It is hard to analyze without a picture. I woudl prefer Conley. I really liked when Coach Mac used to do it. I know it is "too soon" but Shafer IMO would be great at it. He would root for SU and offer entertainment value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom