my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Beautiful day on the hill for my 59th opener with my Dad. Day started up with coffee on the dock talking about past games, listening to my father go over old Colgate games and the pranks that went on between the two schools.
The crowd was pretty good for gate considering the weekend and weather. Students were absolutely fantastic and most of them stayed till halftime. We had a couple of refreshments at a TG at Manley headed to the Varsity for a slice before going up to the quad. On the way stopped by and said hi to Lincoln and of course gave Earnie's shoes a rub for good luck.

Found our seats in 320 and settled in to watch warmups. My take is that Jack is all he is made out to be. booms everything with excellent hang time. Our kicker the same. he has one heck of a leg and if he can find accuracy, he has a chance to play at the next level. Consistent 70 plus yards on his kicks. These two are going to help us win a few this year.

As to the game here are my two cents.

Shrader was off. His arm strength didn't seem to be very good, and his throws were for the most part just ok. Hopefully he improves next week.
Carlos on the other hand looked as good as i have seen him. Very sharp with a rifle. He has a pro arm as the ball jumps off his hand vs Shrader who still is pushing and floating his throws. This is the difference between a pure passer and a thrower. Still Shrader is the man based on his leadership skills and feet.

We have a receiving group that is very good and deep. Hatcher has a knack for getting open. Has that Marvin thing to him. Great to see Jones back and the young guys all looked strong. I really like Long. He just seems to have it.

As to the OL i don't know what to say. Guess I will wait for Bees report but to my eye they have serious work to do. Hopefully the walking boot wounded get better in time for the real games. I thought the general did a good job at center but again I'll wait for the Bees report.

D is the strength of this team, and it isn't close. We are fast and deep. Loved seeing Bama take on doubles and loved the team speed. Hope that Rocky plays it smart against teams that can beat us over the top as we can play field position against them with our punter and want teams to have to sustain drives against us which very few will be able to do.
This is the deepest team in years and if the OL can get it together, we can play with everyone on the schedule. Last note. How lucky are we to have our stadium on campus. we were talking about games in Arch with trash bags over our heads and cold arses. My arse was cold yesterday, but it wasn't because of the weather. Air was cranked and it felt good.

We are truly blessed to have this venue and I think we are going to have a good year. Can't wait for next week's game.
59 home openers and it seems like it was just yesterday I was going to my first.

Go Orange!!

Nice summary. OL definitely needs to gel some, but I did seem to me that they and the WR group in general were blocking much more aggressively yesterday.

The General had a couple of instances I recall where he helped from the side with what appeared to be something bordering on what could be considered bad intent.

Beautiful day on the hill for my 59th opener with my Dad. Day started up with coffee on the dock talking about past games, listening to my father go over old Colgate games and the pranks that went on between the two schools.
The crowd was pretty good for gate considering the weekend and weather. Students were absolutely fantastic and most of them stayed till halftime. We had a couple of refreshments at a TG at Manley headed to the Varsity for a slice before going up to the quad. On the way stopped by and said hi to Lincoln and of course gave Earnie's shoes a rub for good luck.

Found our seats in 320 and settled in to watch warmups. My take is that Jack is all he is made out to be. booms everything with excellent hang time. Our kicker the same. he has one heck of a leg and if he can find accuracy, he has a chance to play at the next level. Consistent 70 plus yards on his kicks. These two are going to help us win a few this year.

As to the game here are my two cents.

Shrader was off. His arm strength didn't seem to be very good, and his throws were for the most part just ok. Hopefully he improves next week.
Carlos on the other hand looked as good as i have seen him. Very sharp with a rifle. He has a pro arm as the ball jumps off his hand vs Shrader who still is pushing and floating his throws. This is the difference between a pure passer and a thrower. Still Shrader is the man based on his leadership skills and feet.

We have a receiving group that is very good and deep. Hatcher has a knack for getting open. Has that Marvin thing to him. Great to see Jones back and the young guys all looked strong. I really like Long. He just seems to have it.

As to the OL i don't know what to say. Guess I will wait for Bees report but to my eye they have serious work to do. Hopefully the walking boot wounded get better in time for the real games. I thought the general did a good job at center but again I'll wait for the Bees report.

D is the strength of this team, and it isn't close. We are fast and deep. Loved seeing Bama take on doubles and loved the team speed. Hope that Rocky plays it smart against teams that can beat us over the top as we can play field position against them with our punter and want teams to have to sustain drives against us which very few will be able to do.
This is the deepest team in years and if the OL can get it together, we can play with everyone on the schedule. Last note. How lucky are we to have our stadium on campus. we were talking about games in Arch with trash bags over our heads and cold arses. My arse was cold yesterday, but it wasn't because of the weather. Air was cranked and it felt good.

We are truly blessed to have this venue and I think we are going to have a good year. Can't wait for next week's game.
59 home openers and it seems like it was just yesterday I was going to my first.

Go Orange!!
That’s some good stuff there kc, love that your dad is still doing his thing with ya, and man oh man your right re old Archie!

D looks stellar and I will repeat what I wrote elsewhere that if we had those four portal transfers on the defense this year would be a top 15 team. Even with the perennial position of concern at OL (Think they will be fine and serviceable).

Did the Bama kid see any time in the first half? If so I missed it, same for the Notre Dame transfer didn’t see him till the end. That means even with the our transfers elsewhere from last year we have very good depth. And even with the concerns with the O line, they will be overcome for a good and fun season.

You are spot on on Shrader, even though he’s not a great passer, love the kid as he has the “it“ factor for success at the position given our particular issues here. Seeing Del-Rio do his thing makes it less concerning if and when Garret has physical issues.

Great write up kc

Love to see your comments about your Dad. My Dad took me to my first games at Archbold in the late 60s/early70s. Got me hooked at an early age. Still am. Dad was friends with Rocco Pirro who coached under Ben as you know. They grew up together in Solvay.
Peace.

Florange44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom