my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Dad and I hung at the lake too long and caught the tail end of the gate at Manley. time for one bump and walked over to the dome. Settled into 321 for our group to watch what i had hoped would be a solid showing by our Orange.

Was immediately disappointed that Army didn't bring the cadets in full and didn't travel in the traditional gray uniforms. I remember as a kid getting goose bumps watching the cadets and midshipman and suffice to say everyone in our party was disappointed.

Almost as much as we were throughout the course of the game with our team. I felt that the kids were flat and unprepared. Really disappointed in the base D that Rocky started out with couldn't understand why it took him till half time to realize we need to load the box.

As to the O it was disjointed, never in sync the entire contest. Becks worst game by far. Not sure what he saw that kept him running LA off tackle and yes, he did get a TD and a few chunks runs but it was obvious that the underneath throws were there all game and he very rarely took what was given by Army. Rather he tried to force his will in both the run game and by taking shots down field. Im sure i will take heat for this but i felt it was his worst called game as OC since taking the reins.

Special teams were weak. Other than the kickoffs which are automatic we missed an extra point and almost muffed two punt returns. Pray that Pena is ok going forward as the kid back there now is a turnover waiting to happen. He has talent but he doesn't make good decisions and he is going to cost us.

D pulled it together in the second half and won the game for us. Rocky finally gave in, took away their bread and butter and the game was over. Felt that Bama played well with the limited snaps, Like what the back up LBs did and our D Back field was solid although Army didnt have much of a threat as the WR were average and the QB couldnt find his arse with a flash light.

Not sure what Dino was thinking at the end of the game leaving LA and Shrader in. Let alone running both of them. I mean really. Games over and you are running those two. Crazy and its decisions like this that make me wish he would 100% leave the game day decisions to his staff.

Here are some points based on what i witnessed.

We do not have a back up RB who can win games unless the true frosh gets more run. Hopefully they are saving his games, for the next run because if LA goes down we are in major trouble.

I jones being out is a blow. We are down our top two receivers. We desperately need Pena back. Not sure why Gil and or Long don't get more run but we are hurting in that department.

Glad to see Dan get significant snaps and make a nice play with the catch. Need to see more of him hopefully he is being saved for Clemson.

Going forward i hope that Beck gets his mojo back and is saving some plays for the big boys.

Our D needs to carry us as they are the strength of this team. We need to play with energy and brains next week or we will get destroyed. Hopefully the kids were just flat.

4-0 Next week is huge.

Dad and I hung at the lake too long and caught the tail end of the gate at Manley. time for one bump and walked over to the dome. Settled into 321 for our group to watch what i had hoped would be a solid showing by our Orange.

Was immediately disappointed that Army didn't bring the cadets in full and didn't travel in the traditional gray uniforms. I remember as a kid getting goose bumps watching the cadets and midshipman and suffice to say everyone in our party was disappointed.

Almost as much as we were throughout the course of the game with our team. I felt that the kids were flat and unprepared. Really disappointed in the base D that Rocky started out with couldn't understand why it took him till half time to realize we need to load the box.

As to the O it was disjointed, never in sync the entire contest. Becks worst game by far. Not sure what he saw that kept him running LA off tackle and yes, he did get a TD and a few chunks runs but it was obvious that the underneath throws were there all game and he very rarely took what was given by Army. Rather he tried to force his will in both the run game and by taking shots down field. Im sure i will take heat for this but i felt it was his worst called game as OC since taking the reins.

Special teams were weak. Other than the kickoffs which are automatic we missed an extra point and almost muffed two punt returns. Pray that Pena is ok going forward as the kid back there now is a turnover waiting to happen. He has talent but he doesn't make good decisions and he is going to cost us.

D pulled it together in the second half and won the game for us. Rocky finally gave in, took away their bread and butter and the game was over. Felt that Bama played well with the limited snaps, Like what the back up LBs did and our D Back field was solid although Army didnt have much of a threat as the WR were average and the QB couldnt find his arse with a flash light.

Not sure what Dino was thinking at the end of the game leaving LA and Shrader in. Let alone running both of them. I mean really. Games over and you are running those two. Crazy and its decisions like this that make me wish he would 100% leave the game day decisions to his staff.

Here are some points based on what i witnessed.

We do not have a back up RB who can win games unless the true frosh gets more run. Hopefully they are saving his games, for the next run because if LA goes down we are in major trouble.

I jones being out is a blow. We are down our top two receivers. We desperately need Pena back. Not sure why Gil and or Long don't get more run but we are hurting in that department.

Glad to see Dan get significant snaps and make a nice play with the catch. Need to see more of him hopefully he is being saved for Clemson.

Going forward i hope that Beck gets his mojo back and is saving some plays for the big boys.

Our D needs to carry us as they are the strength of this team. We need to play with energy and brains next week or we will get destroyed. Hopefully the kids were just flat.

4-0 Next week is huge.
Great point about Villari. Would love to see some trickeration with him this Saturday. We are going to need a handful of explosive plays to win this game.

Last edited:
I have a hard time telling if Beck is telling Shrader where to throw or he is making the decisions on his reads

Some wide open stuff is being missed.. On the other hand with better throws they are open as well just a big harder to hit..

We have not been good throwing deep all year really.. The best stuff has been the 10-15 yd stuff and some of that is because Shrader does not have the best of arms. It hurts because we have guys open if we could at least get it in a catchable spot.

army qb's (daly?) picks were square in the chest of our defenders. garrett got away with a couple sloppy throws.

Villari outsnapped Mang 48 to 8

He has been throughly outplaying him in the run blocking, pass blocking and recieving areas and looks like he may be tacking full control of the position

Villari outsnapped Mang 48 to 8

He has been throughly outplaying him in the run blocking, pass blocking and recieving areas and looks like he may be tacking full control of the position
I did see if miss two blocks. One stoped LA on fourth down and the other resulted in a sack. Nice they threw to him. Hopefully we see more of that going forward instead of just putting on film for Clemson to prepare.

Curious how much of the playbook we’ve seen so far. Not sure why so few runs to the outside. Hoping another week means more plays designed for Trebor in space.

Have a feeling the D is going to need to put up some points against Clemson.

Farmer’s in game adjustments for the OL are apparent. If More and Ellis are both a go (saw Ellis’s boot came off), hopefully it opens up some holes for LQA.

I wondered what took the D so long to adjust. Not sure it was anything that complicated.
I think we overestimated the potential of their passing game. I think Rocky saw their early runs as a setup. He outsmarted himself. I don’t think stacking the box was the actual solve. I think it was a conscious strategy of emphasizing the ends getting past their tackles and backside pursuit. Stuffing the middle definitely slowed the penetration through the line by the RB down, but the backside pursuit is what negated their lateral line wash-out game plan.

Curious how much of the playbook we’ve seen so far. Not sure why so few runs to the outside. Hoping another week means more plays designed for Trebor in space.

Have a feeling the D is going to need to put up some points against Clemson.

Farmer’s in game adjustments for the OL are apparent. If More and Ellis are both a go (saw Ellis’s boot came off), hopefully it opens up some holes for LQA.
Ellis isn’t playing until VT other than maybe goal line.

if we hold a couple of those plays 1-2 yds less then dont try the fouth downs and we get off the fields. the had very few food runs.

Almost wonder if both coordinators wanted to see if we could impose our will on Army, playing straight up.

On a similar note, I was wondering if SU’s first two plays of the game were runs by Shrader solely because they wanted to see if Army was as soft as Purdue.

There was a bad half, and a great half. Not a bad game. 26pts and over 300yds in a half is excellent no matter who you are playing.

I hear you and yes, the stats were fine, but do you actually think we played well? I don't. I think that we were flat, and I wasn't impressed with Beck yesterday. Granted maybe he wanted to stay vanilla. Still, we just seemed off.

Ellis isn’t playing until VT other than maybe goal line.
Agree. Seems like Bradford and Bleich have been our best beat OL so far.

More might take some PT from Petry but unless someone gets hurt, Ellis is going to have a hard time cracking back into the starting lineup.

Last edited:
I hear you and yes, the stats were fine, but do you actually think we played well? I don't. I think that we were flat, and I wasn't impressed with Beck yesterday. Granted maybe he wanted to stay vanilla. Still, we just seemed off.
KC-
I’m with you, too many head scratchers for me yesterday.
1) if Beck thinks we’re going to impose our will, why start the game with 2 Shader runs? Save him.
2) way too many off tackle runs and nothing to the outside when we were clearly faster and bigger with the wrs
3) we were all screaming to load the box and penetrate, what took so long?
4) missed extra point
5) diving catch on the punt- way too risky
6) playing off the receivers 8 yards way too much
7) Dino not taking a TO at the end of the 1H
8) Dino puts Shrader and Allen back in at the end and gives them the ball! Unbelievable!
Etc, etc

I hope it’s a one time thing with Beck and Rocky. We know it’s not with Dino.

Florange44

It was a C game. They haven’t brought a ton of intensity so far. They’ve gotten by just throwing deep in three of four games and out talenting opponents.

They’ve shown very little quick game, and the pass to Villari out of the bunch was the first time we’ve seen anything like that.

This is a very good team. Up there with 12 and 18. Chance to be better.

It was a C game. They haven’t brought a ton of intensity so far. They’ve gotten by just throwing deep in three of four games and out talenting opponents.

They’ve shown very little quick game, and the pass to Villari out of the bunch was the first time we’ve seen anything like that.

This is a very good team. Up there with 12 and 18. Chance to be better.
You've probably forgotten more about football than ill ever know so i hope you are right. Guys will need to play their best Saturday if we are going to win as Clemson would beat every team we have played going away.

The video board showing the teary eyed veteran looking up at himself on the big screen brought a tear to my eye. What a great moment.

The two teams showing mutual respect by staying on the field and standing for each others’ alma mater was wonderful.

The fact that the SU fans showed enough class to not boo the cadets when they came out of the tunnel gave me hope for our future.

Exiting the Dome through the open double doors and surprising the ushers by making a loud “whooshing” sound and pretending to get sucked out like old times was fun. Could be a new tradition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom