Myths vs Reality | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Myths vs Reality

Just for your interest. The ESPNU "Terrific Top 25, Class of 2012" - published on February 8, 2010 - listed DaJuan Coleman, PF 280# NY, as their #1.
Andre Drummond and Shabazz Muhammad, both now making big bucks in the league, were listed as #2 and #3.

How you use your talent is also a factor.
Really? Did those guys get crippling injuries?

His son hit about a 900 foot home run against us in a HS tournament. The ball may not have landed yet. He played in the pros for a bit as well.
The title of this thread is Myths vs Reality. I think I gotta sit down.

In all fairness, the OP gave facts not opinions.

I'm not sure what bringing up facts from 10 years ago really does.

I mean, just because Uconn recruited well and won some titles this decade doesn't mean squat when it comes to the future.

How about biggest bust ever class recruits. 2004 after we won National Championship.

Dayshawn Wright and Josh Wright. How about missing on Adonis Foyle and Andrae Blatche. We seemed to do OK.

I always thought Dayshawn had potential. Though he may not have been a great fit for our system, but I thought he had the ability to be a good college bball player. His career basically never even got started with the academic issues.

Josh Wright...the story was we offered Wright, AJ Price, and Kyle Lowry(who were all similarly ranked if I recall) and took the first one that committed. Can anyone confirm that? That one didn't work out too well at all. But that was hindsight. At the time we were getting a highly regarded CNY kid that everyone else(UConn, Pitt, etc.) was recruiting too.

I'm not sure what bringing up facts from 10 years ago really does.

I mean, just because Uconn recruited well and won some titles this decade doesn't mean squat when it comes to the future.
Really? he pointed out that our recruiting hasn't really changed over the last 10 years. for those that say that we aren't recruiting like we once did, doesn't that say that's not true? Isn't that sort of a important fact. Not just some opinion?

You really think DC was ever at or ever going to be at Drummands level?
?? What difference does that make in the context of the post I was referring to. Someone tried to use the fact that those guys were in the NBA and Dc was where he is at as a shot at how we develop players. . If DC was over rated as a high school soph, and I have no way of knowing one way or another, I never saw him play back then, that has nothing to do with how much he was coached at Syracuse. What is relevant is that he has been hurt since he got here.

That list says we can recruit SFs, and big men well enough, but ooooooooooooooh boy, do we suck at getting/evaluating guards.
Yes we are great at recruiting small forwards. I can't decide which one to start we are so deep at the position.

Really? he pointed out that our recruiting hasn't really changed over the last 10 years. for those that say that we aren't recruiting like we once did, doesn't that say that's not true? Isn't that sort of a important fact. Not just some opinion?

You just can't put recruiting rankings up and say "it was great recruiting"

We had 4 open scholarships at the end of last year WHILE we were restricted and only filled one of the spots. We got 2 fifth year guys because we literally had nobody else and then gave another one to a guy who is a walk on. I don't care what espn or anybody says, that's a bad recruiting class.

?? What difference does that make in the context of the post I was referring to. Someone tried to use the fact that those guys were in the NBA and Dc was where he is at as a shot at how we develop players. . If DC was over rated as a high school soph, and I have no way of knowing one way or another, I never saw him play back then, that has nothing to do with how much he was coached at Syracuse. What is relevant is that he has been hurt since he got here.

DC is like 6'8 and bulky...even with good knees, 4 years of great health, and a great college career he wouldn't project that well as a pro. He just doesn't have the "measurables" for his game. Like AO...maybe our most skilled low post scorer I can think of. If these guys were 6'11 with live and healthy legs like Drummond, that's a different story.

Yes we are great at recruiting small forwards. I can't decide which one to start we are so deep at the position.

Eh, Grant, Malachi, BJ Johnson, Moyer - we stacked them well. Throw in G, who ended up a PG, but nevertheless...

Even with all the unexpected departures, if we don't chase off BJ, we pretty much stacked that deck perfectly to get us through with a mix of stars/4 year types.

You just can't put recruiting rankings up and say "it was great recruiting"

We had 4 open scholarships at the end of last year WHILE we were restricted and only filled one of the spots. We got 2 fifth year guys because we literally had nobody else and then gave another one to a guy who is a walk on. I don't care what espn or anybody says, that's a bad recruiting class.
We brought in two freshman that I think both will play in the NBA

Ghost said:
That list says we can recruit SFs, and big men well enough, but ooooooooooooooh boy, do we suck at getting/evaluating guards.

Really?! I see some pretty fine guards among our recruits: Flynn, Scoop, Dion, MCW, Ennis, Triche, Mali and Battle...

Eh, Grant, Malachi, BJ Johnson, Moyer - we stacked them well. Throw in G, who ended up a PG, but nevertheless...

Even with all the unexpected departures, if we don't chase off BJ, we pretty much stacked that deck perfectly to get us through with a mix of stars/4 year types.
It's been a few years since Grant was here. I was more talking going forward. Also Mali was a 2 and Moyer is a 4. If you put them together and divided by 2 you would have some 3's. If only basketball worked that way.

I always thought Dayshawn had potential. Though he may not have been a great fit for our system, but I thought he had the ability to be a good college bball player. His career basically never even got started with the academic issues.

Josh Wright...the story was we offered Wright, AJ Price, and Kyle Lowry(who were all similarly ranked if I recall) and took the first one that committed. Can anyone confirm that? That one didn't work out too well at all. But that was hindsight. At the time we were getting a highly regarded CNY kid that everyone else(UConn, Pitt, etc.) was recruiting too.
We focused on recruiting more than 1 kid at the same position? That doesn't sound like something we would do.

Good try but the proof is right in our faces regardless of
How you want to spin it. The recruiting is all relative. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal that we had 0 top 100 recruits and no pg signed in if the 6.5 man rotation didn't consist of 3 seniors and 2 underclassmen who are likely gone, with obvious concerns at the most important position on the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom