Naes Howard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Naes Howard

He was unable to get p.t. at Wagner? One of the worst 1AA progrmas I have ever seen? Was he suspended at Wagner or something?

He's listed on several websites (ESPN, Fox, etc.) as having been on the Wagner roster, but without any stats. Wagner doesn't list him as being on the 2015 roster. I checked one of their game preview guides and only saw him listed in their pronunciation guide, not on the actual roster. It's not clear what his situation was...

I just want to let this play out. The kid seems to really want to be at SU AND play on the team. Let's see how it works out. Hard to fault a kid for wanting a college education even if it takes him a couple years to figure it out.

Hate to be negative, but, if I'm a new HC I'm very hesitant. You're trying to get an entire roster to buy in and sell out. Bringing back a guy who could've been considered devisive and not dedicated may not be on the top of the list.

I presume he is paying his own way at SU then? Let him walk on and earn back his scholarship.

Zackly! Let the kid put his money where his mouth is and put him on a very short leash. Tiniest infraction--out on his a$$.

In an email to syracuse.com, Howard wrote he recently approached Babers in the parking lot adjacent to the football building and was told to "speak with the athletic director."

Sounds to me that if he wants it that bad, and is enrolled, his chance is as a walk-on, if at all. That seems OK to me, make him earn it after he previously threw away the opportunity.

Sounds to me that if he wants it that bad, and is enrolled, his chance is as a walk-on, if at all. That seems OK to me, make him earn it after he previously threw away the opportunity.

Agreed. And if the local boy makes good and does everything required of him, it will be a nice success story. Ball's in Nasean's court.

And keep in mind Baber's comment that he is still looking for players--even if he has to post an ad in the Daily Orange.

Nasean-- here's your chance, young man. Don't blow it again!

Can someone refresh my memory on what happened with Howard? If it's sensitive - a DM would be appreciated.

Why do we care about someone who couldnt crack a snap at Wagner??

image.jpg

Why do we care about someone who couldnt crack a snap at Wagner??

I don't think he was ever really on the game day roster there, he's a good athlete and could certainly help at Syracuse in some aspect. Kid just cant get it together though. I guess it's in his court now. There were a lot of question marks with him dating back for sure, I don't think many are surprised as to what has happened here but maybe he's finally taking responsibility.

Sounds like Syracuse is saying, let us get through spring ball first and then we may take you on as a project. Get in shape, etc and show up for tryouts ready to go, if he puts the work in maybe he gets a 2nd shot. Looks like he will have 3 years left

Not second guessing the coaches, but this doesn't make much sense to me Why would they not want him to go through spring practice, if for no other reason than to decide quicker if he has what it takes and can potentially help the team or not?

And if he can, then not having him involved in spring ball is a missed opportunity. I'm not pro- or anti-Howard, so I'm not advocating for him just because he's a local prospect -- I'm just suggesting that it makes sense to determine if he passes Babers's muster as quickly / soon as possible, and then to move on from there.

Not second guessing the coaches, but this doesn't make much sense to me Why would they not want him to go through spring practice, if for no other reason than to decide quicker if he has what it takes and can potentially help the team or not?

And if he can, then not having him involved in spring ball is a missed opportunity. I'm not pro- or anti-Howard, so I'm not advocating for him just because he's a local prospect -- I'm just suggesting that it makes sense to determine if he passes Babers's muster as quickly / soon as possible, and then to move on from there.

The way I see it, this is their first coaching time with the kids on the team. Nas, for whatever reason, isn't currently on the team and therefore could be considered a distraction from the other student athletes. what I mean by distraction is that he would be another person for the staff to spend time with coaching and mentoring instead of someone that has done the necessary things to "deserve" to be there.

I am sure they will let him walk on in the summer, but they have so much evaluation and information to get out that they simply don't have time for a project right now.

Maybe after losing the SS/OLB flip they reconsider bringing him in early.

I don't see where he fits on this team though- practice squad free safety? Does he have the skills to play CB in the Tampa 2?

They don't have walk on tryouts in the spring. Coach isn't going to make a special exception for a local kid that isn't on the team. I'm sure he will be able to tryout in the fall with the rest of the potential walk ons.

The way I see it, this kid got himself suspended and then kid quite the team. Why would any new coach be thrilled to bring that type of kid come back to his new team??

They don't have walk on tryouts in the spring. Coach isn't going to make a special exception for a local kid that isn't on the team. I'm sure he will be able to tryout in the fall with the rest of the potential walk ons.
that makes sense.

and i see all the hullabaloo is because hes local.

The way I see it, this kid got himself suspended and then kid quite the team. Why would any new coach be thrilled to bring that type of kid come back to his new team??
New staff = clean slate

That explanation is the first one I've seen that makes sense. Thanks.

I'll say this ... and I have no skin in the game. None.

Football coaches these days, unfortunately, often times have to share job responsibilities with pastors and those who work with troubled youth. I mean, if you put nearly 100 players in a room, in any program nationally, a few are bound to have troubles.

So, here is a local kid who has had some issues. Nothing too diabolical from what we know (and perhaps I don’t know enough). Why not at least entertain the idea of helping or perhaps even "saving" an individual who is in need of the structure and discipline that college football can provide?

In some way, Howard and his family want it badly enough that they are paying tuition to attend SU. That's not cheap and it signals some evidence of commitment/contrition.

Many (not all) football coaches talk about producing good players and good citizens. Well, here is a chance for Dino to perhaps change the course of a kid’s life locally. Not as much on the football field, but by providing the path for Howard to finish his schooling at SU.

To me, it is worth exploring, making a few calls and having a few conversations. And if that investigative process does not raise any prohibitive red flags, doesn’t it merit having an assistant coach work out Howard for 30-40 minutes some Sunday afternoon in February? See what you have (which is likely a skilled walk-on).

Honestly, this has less to do with Howard helping on the field the next few years and more to do with helping a young adult and sending a message to the CNY coaching community that these kids are worth our time.

(okay, time to get off my pedestal)