Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

If Judah Mintz returns, leave the one remaining scholarship open and use it for one of the two incoming 2024 players.

If Judah Mintz does not return, use one of the two remaining scholarship for a strong point guard candidate like Ty-Laur Johnson. Otherwise if you can’t get him or someone like him, leave both scholarships open for the next year.

Like to see Red have an pressing defensive strategy and make use of the entire 11 scholarship players he has on board right now.
How about woods as a 1 year rental if Judah leaves, steady pass first point guard who defends well. May not be dynamic but would be a strong asset with his gifts.

How about woods as a 1 year rental if Judah leaves, steady pass first point guard who defends well. May not be dynamic but would be a strong asset with his gifts.
He’s going to St. Bonaventure.

I know its been speculated here but not sure we've heard it directly from the coaches until now. Sounds like Maliq will definitely be getting some time at the 5.
Unless Malik significantly improves his offensive game in the offseason, I can't see him getting a ton of minutes at the 4. It's one thing playing the 4 next to an offensively competent center like Edwards, it's another with a bunch of centers w/o much of an offensive game. You can't have 2 guys on the court simultaneously who can't score from outside 3 feet.

Unless Malik significantly improves his offensive game in the offseason, I can't see him getting a ton of minutes at the 4. It's one thing playing the 4 next to an offensively competent center like Edwards, it's another with a bunch of centers w/o much of an offensive game. You can't have 2 guys on the court simultaneously who can't score from outside 3 feet.
Agree. I will add that it may also depend (at least to a certain extent) on our offensive and defensive philosophy. I would think that if we are built on extreme full court pressure designed to cause a lot of turnovers, Maliq could be effective at pressuring and our center on committee could be the last line of defense. But who the heck knows lol.

Woods is not a pass first point guard. He is steady and defends well. He's not a point guard at all.

Did not see he enrolled with the Bonnie's anyway. I do think he is a pg but I could be incorrect. Moot point now.

I don’t see us playing much of it, I think we should based on matchups though.
I expect their defenses will be more situational, and match up driven than has been the case under JAB for the last 20 years. I do not expect this staff to be married to any single defense.

From and older article before Jesse and company.

With Naheem you now have him at 7-4, a 7-2 Patterson, 6-11 Carey( some have said he is 7ft) and 6-11 Hima on the roster.
Put them all on the floor at the same time and play zone.

If we were looking to have a center post up and give us points in the paint he wouldn't be a good option. I don't think we are looking for that. I don't think we should be either.

We have Starling, Westry, Copeland, and maybe Mintz who are all great at getting to the rim. When they get there they are going to be met with the other teams best shot blocker much of the time. They need someone they can throw a lob up to if that happens. Stats aren't super important here, what is important is that McLeod can keep his man pinned to him or catch and dunk the ball when his man leaves. On the other side of the ball we want him to be a rim protector. I think it's reasonable to hope he can be close to as good as Jesse at both things. If so he will be a great pick up.
And not unimportant that this brings us up to between 15 and 20 fouls at the center position.
I certainly hope someone steps it up and surprises, but lacking that the foul depth at the position is a positive in my opinion.

That was me. As it stands now, nobody can tell me that Westry and JJ are better than Mintz and Joe or will match their product this coming year, year after, maybe, but if that’s a downgrade, the forwards are the same and the downgrade of Jesse to McLeod, playing man instead of zone isn’t going to make up for the roster turnover.

It’s a super young team, we could win 10 games next year and I’ll stay believe in Red, you can see what he’s trying to build, doesn’t mean next year will have a successful win and loss record.
No arguement with this years team being young or having holes to fill, but realistically this was written in stone. The crux of the new players is that no one they are trying to replace was the perfect player. Mintz was probably our player with the highest up side, but even he had considerable deficiencies(still would like him back).
The real question is can this group be assembled into a cohesive team. I think we have some talent and hopefully some player improvement occurs, but the crucial thing is becoming a team.

Did not see he enrolled with the Bonnie's anyway. I do think he is a pg but I could be incorrect. Moot point now.
That is a great spot for Mika. I'm glad he was able to get back home or close at least.

okay so you think jj is just as much a project as carey hima and patterson etc...got it.

I disagree.
Yep. I definitely said a guy that averaged more ppg in a rough freshman year then those 3 ever will combined in a single year is very similar...got it.

Yep. I definitely said a guy that averaged more ppg in a rough freshman year then those 3 ever will combined in a single year is very similar...got it.
my original point was about mcleod and the center position. that the problem isnt bringing in mcleod - its that the 3 other centers are also projects. mcleod'spot should be for a center that isnt a project but there shouldnt be 4 centers that are rough around the edges on a roster...doesnt make much sense to construct a roster that way...but the hand was forced by jesse unexpectedely leaving and slim pickins.

then people started responding about how the other players on the roster are unproven - which may be true but has little to do with mcleod or my original point.

my original point was about mcleod and the center position. that the problem isnt bringing in mcleod - its that the 3 other centers are also projects. mcleod'spot should be for a center that isnt a project but there shouldnt be 4 centers that are rough around the edges on a roster...doesnt make much sense to construct a roster that way...but the hand was forced by jesse unexpectedely leaving and slim pickins.

then people started responding about how the other players on the roster are unproven - which may be true but has little to do with mcleod or my original point.
Yeah, Center recruiting is somewhat impossible. There's only about a dozen actual proven good ones at any given time. Have those guys and then maybe 5 "sure" thing 5 star Freshman that come in each year. Those ones usually are gone after a year and it's the lower ranked project ones that filter through and end up eventually becoming the dozen good upperclassmen.

I don't know how the heck you hit the sweet spot on it. The 5 star guys are hard to get to begin with. Then you also have to have an open starting spot to guarantee them. Even if you manage that, then you are also going to have to deal with them likely struggling to get acclimated as Freshman and then they bounce after that 1 hopefully solid year and you get no surplus value out of it.

If we ditch the zone, I think the best value is found with the 6'9 thicker guys instead of the 7 foot, athletic 5s. Give me a Rick Jackson or a slightly bigger Maliq in lieu of these guys we currently have. The Notre Dame type guys that beat our ass forever with 14 points and 9 rebounds and have actual basketball skills beyond being extra tall.

Yeah, Center recruiting is somewhat impossible. There's only about a dozen actual proven good ones at any given time. Have those guys and then maybe 5 "sure" thing 5 star Freshman that come in each year. Those ones usually are gone after a year and it's the lower ranked project ones that filter through and end up eventually becoming the dozen good upperclassmen.

I don't know how the heck you hit the sweet spot on it. The 5 star guys are hard to get to begin with. Then you also have to have an open starting spot to guarantee them. Even if you manage that, then you are also going to have to deal with them likely struggling to get acclimated as Freshman and then they bounce after that 1 hopefully solid year and you get no surplus value out of it.

If we ditch the zone, I think the best value is found with the 6'9 thicker guys instead of the 7 foot, athletic 5s. Give me a Rick Jackson or a slightly bigger Maliq in lieu of these guys we currently have. The Notre Dame type guys that beat our ass forever with 14 points and 9 rebounds and have actual basketball skills beyond being extra tall.
Totally agree with this post. It seems to be the most difficult position to deal with. Fab Melo struggled and would probably have been gone after one year in today's world.

It's a problem really at all levels. Just look at the conference finals. No real traditional centers to be found. You've got a point center , multi skilled power forwards and a stretch 4 manning the center spot. Then some guys that are basically defense and rebounding with garbage buckets and lobs.

Embiid was likely the closest true center in the playoffs.

It's a problem really at all levels. Just look at the conference finals. No real traditional centers to be found. You've got a point center , multi skilled power forwards and a stretch 4 manning the center spot. Then some guys that are basically defense and rebounding with garbage buckets and lobs.

Embiid was likely the closest true center in the playoffs.
And even Embiid often starts with the ball on the perimeter. There isn't a single player in the NBA who plays like Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Shaquille O'Neal right now. But Robert Williams playing with Harford was essential in the Celtics knocking the Sixers out in game 7. What Celtics fans are calling the "two bigs" lineup.

In college, having a very tall athletic rim defender is more valuable, because the skill level of the offensive players is lower. Switching a big slow guy onto a forward or a guard isn't as catastrophic in college.

I like the way we've handled the center position in the past... One developed starter, one mostly developed backup and one project a year or two away from contributing. Getting a center recruit every year isn't a problem, it's getting a center recruit every year and having them not develop that creates problems.

Compounding the problem is not getting our primary targets year after year. Look at the center recruits we have pursued and failed to recruit, and compare them to the guys we got... It's a world of difference. We'd be perfectly happy with Clingan as a starter with Etienne as his backup, with Papa Kante coming in as their depth in the fall. But we didn't get any of those guys to commit.

Well, we'll see how the plan and the results develop with Red as the coach over the next few years.

you have to stagger it a bit in terms of graduating class...the usual allocation is 3 centers/roster. with 4! - there should be some good options...not 4 projects.

if I had 4 centers on a roster at least one would be a grad transfer or senior - either from the portal or not.

another should be a junior or senior - but at least 2 should have already had decent playing time in NCAA - if you're going to carry 4.

i think a lot of fans on this board are assuming nothing from either carey or patterson next year but I'm hopeful at least one of them can come in and surprise...I hope that's why they are on the roster...

it's definitely hard to hit the sweet spot on...

I suppose if you cant land the big fish 5 stars...just bring in a bunch of options and see who rises to the spot. ... is the best alternative ...which is what they are doing...

you have to stagger it a bit in terms of graduating class...the usual allocation is 3 centers/roster. with 4! - there should be some good options...not 4 projects.

if I had 4 centers on a roster at least one would be a grad transfer or senior - either from the portal or not.

another should be a junior or senior - but at least 2 should have already had decent playing time in NCAA - if you're going to carry 4.

i think a lot of fans on this board are assuming nothing from either carey or patterson next year but I'm hopeful at least one of them can come in and surprise...I hope that's why they are on the roster...

it's definitely hard to hit the sweet spot on...

I suppose if you cant land the big fish 5 stars...just bring in a bunch of options and see who rises to the spot. ... is the best alternative ...which is what they are doing...
Yeah, I'm counting on absolutely nothing from Patterson. Carey I still have some hopes for based on his athleticism which may only be due to watching him dunk on 5'10 white kids in a 2020 highlight tape. McLeod I hope can be the guy for 25 mins a night and give us 7 pts and 7 boards with 2 blocks. Give Maliq 10 mins there and maybe he goes for 3 and 3 in those minutes and then Hima gets a bucket and a board or 2 in 5 mins. Total out somewhere around 12 pts, 12 boards and 3 blocks from the position over 40 mins.

I saw enough from the freshmen last year to be bullish about this year. If Judah does return we may have an awesome year

Yeah, I'm counting on absolutely nothing from Patterson. Carey I still have some hopes for based on his athleticism which may only be due to watching him dunk on 5'10 white kids in a 2020 highlight tape. McLeod I hope can be the guy for 25 mins a night and give us 7 pts and 7 boards with 2 blocks. Give Maliq 10 mins there and maybe he goes for 3 and 3 in those minutes and then Hima gets a bucket and a board or 2 in 5 mins. Total out somewhere around 12 pts, 12 boards and 3 blocks from the position over 40 mins.
The main thing I want from that center position is rebounds, rebounds, and rebounds. A few put backs would be nice however.

The main thing I want from that center position is rebounds, rebounds, and rebounds. A few put backs would be nice however.
He’s athletic I know he’ll have his flaws but I love having the biggest dude on both teams. And he’s hardly forth.

No he can’t take fadeaways like Jesse but we don’t play zone anymore he’s just gotta glue himself to the other teams best big when we don’t have the ball.

This is gonna go well for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom