NBA scout on mccullough | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA scout on mccullough

With a torn ACL McCollough should stay and rehab. I feel sick for this kid but hope the rehab goes well and he gets back to 100% and gets to pursue his dream in the NBA.

Alsacs said:
With a torn ACL McCollough should stay and rehab. I feel sick for this kid but hope the rehab goes well and he gets back to 100% and gets to pursue his dream in the NBA.

Another thing to add onto this, if he leaves and is drafted in the second round, SU is no longer on the hook to rehab him and unless Chris signs a contract he's going to have to foot the bill himself which I can't imagine would be cheap considering he is at an elite level of sports.

Another thing to add onto this, if he leaves and is drafted in the second round, SU is no longer on the hook to rehab him and unless Chris signs a contract he's going to have to foot the bill himself which I can't imagine would be cheap considering he is at an elite level of sports.
If he declared now he would have to have a promise from a NBA team to draft him. I doubt an NBA team will promise him now. He should rehab and work to add muscle to his frame. I hate this happened because this kid was getting pushed to return whether he wanted to do so or not. The fact he has to return now because of injury sucks.

Look it's unlikely that he'd get drafted, but it's possible that he doesn't like school, and will take a chance. While I hope that's not the case, last year Toronto picked a guy averaging under 10 pts per game in Brazil with the 20th pick. As ESPN was showing grainy YouTube footage of this guy dribbling down the court (and possibly off his leg), Fraschilla said he was 2 years away from even being a bench guy.

You never know what NBA teams will do. They have some weird ideas about building a franchise.

If he declared now he would have to have a promise from a NBA team to draft him. I doubt an NBA team will promise him now. He should rehab and work to add muscle to his frame. I hate this happened because this kid was getting pushed to return whether he wanted to do so or not. The fact he has to return now because of injury sucks.

True.

I hope he's circumspect about all of this and tries to work hard and improve. Because it's bad for all parties to have a player who doesn't really want to be here.

Given current medical technology you're probably right about most cases, but I can't believe that an NBA would COMPLETELY dismiss an ACL tear when evaluating a player. There are some examples where players don't make 100% recoveries. I know it is a different sport, but RGIII in Washington is nowhere near as explosive as he was before his ACL injury sustained against Seattle in the playoffs his rookie season. (Though admittedly it was the second time he tore it). Even if a player recovers his athleticism 100%, there is no guarantee it doesn't change his mental approach to the game - sometimes players will change their playing style to try to avoid repeat injuries...

In addition, the time out for the ACL lessens the time you have to actually watch a kid play before you have to decide if they are worth the investment of a second contract. For a kid who was probably a developmental pick to start with, having less time for him to develop before fish-or-cut-bait time is a real issue.

Sure it has. He is potentially great! He potentially will not recover sufficiently to play at NBA level. Very, very different potentials, both based upon reality.

In the context of the NBA draft I think potential is commonly understood to mean "upside" not likelihood that the bet being placed will pay off. So in that regard his potential probably hasn't changed, but Teams' willingness to place bets on that potential have almost certainly been impacted.

Uh oh, no one tell CuseHulk this thread exists. He's likely to blow a gasket. Why can't NBA scouts wait until the end of the year to evaluate players?!

Uh oh, no one tell CuseHulk this thread exists. He's likely to blow a gasket. Why can't NBA scouts wait until the end of the year to evaluate players?!
I believe Hulks indian name is finger nails on chalkboard

Given current medical technology...
... people have to move past the BRIAN'S SONG mentality. there is every likelihood than in 8-10 months time he will have completely recovered 100% of his previous mobility. ACL injury is no longer an athletic death sentence. i might also suggest that chris use this recovery time not just rehabbing the knee but seriously studying the game itself.

McCullough is young, and now he can't play for a year either. He can bulk up though during the offseason.
I think he is going to be like otto porter next year( a more athletic aggressive one with a better handle).

We will lose rak but Dajuan will be pretty solid inside, cooney and gbinije are tough and mature, roberson will get better, and joseph will be very solid. I fully expect to have 5 ready starters who can all create the question is on Dajuan. Not to mention 4 really good freshmen, ron bj and obokoh all fighting for some minutes :)

Sub Flyers for Orange and here he is.

Common sense says to come back, hopefully he listens to the right people.

And take us deep into March.

Given current medical technology you're probably right about most cases, but I can't believe that an NBA would COMPLETELY dismiss an ACL tear when evaluating a player. There are some examples where players don't make 100% recoveries. I know it is a different sport, but RGIII in Washington is nowhere near as explosive as he was before his ACL injury sustained against Seattle in the playoffs his rookie season. (Though admittedly it was the second time he tore it). Even if a player recovers his athleticism 100%, there is no guarantee it doesn't change his mental approach to the game - sometimes players will change their playing style to try to avoid repeat injuries...

I remember CJ Fair tore his ACL in high school effecting his college ranking. He admitted it took quite a while to regain total confidence in his knee. The mental aspect is just as important as the physical recuperation.

Hopefully he'll come back like Devo, Andy Rautins etc, in great shape, gaining more insight from the bench and determined to have great year.

SU's insurance for injuries incurred as a player for SU only covers one as they remain a SU student? Or until they receive appropriate rehab for the injury? My daughter tore her ACL playing high school bb and receive rehab services until she was deemed back to normal. The schools insurance never asked if she was still matriculated.

Given current medical technology...
... people have to move past the BRIAN'S SONG mentality. there is every likelihood than in 8-10 months time he will have completely recovered 100% of his previous mobility. ACL injury is no longer an athletic death sentence. i might also suggest that chris use this recovery time not just rehabbing the knee but seriously studying the game itself.

He could come back 100%. He could also tear that ACL again or the other one, since the likelihood of both scenarios increases after you tear an ACL.

The risk of CMac experiencing another ACL tear only increases slightly, but it's an increased injury risk nonetheless. This has to have some impact on his potential.

He could come back 100%. He could also tear that ACL again or the other one, since the likelihood of both scenarios increases after you tear an ACL.

The risk of CMac experiencing another ACL tear only increases slightly, but it's an increased injury risk nonetheless. This has to have some impact on his potential.

But that will have the same impact on his potential in June 2015 as it will in June 2016. So your reasoning is basically saying it is smarter for CM to go pro now. But i think you meant it to say that he should stay in school.

But that will have the same impact on his potential in June 2015 as it will in June 2016. So your reasoning is basically saying it is smarter for CM to go pro now. But i think you meant it to say that he should stay in school.

It makes him a riskier pick to some degree. Going now could cost him a few spots in the draft which could be a big deal. If he stays for a year, is productive and doesn't get hurt again, the potential increase in his draft stock is huge. On the flip side, he could have a really bad season or get injured and completely tank his draft stock.

It's all a matter of whether or not he's confident that he can be productive here. Right now, he's an early second round pick at the very best. He can do nothing to change that from now until the draft. If he stays a year, though, he could certainly get into the first round and possibly a lottery pick. If he has a mediocre season and doesn't get injured again, he's right back where he is now. I don't know how he views risk-reward, but the smart play is staying. The reward of increasing his first contract to guaranteed millions outweighs the risk of getting injured again and losing out on non-guaranteed money, IMO.

Where did you get that from?

Obviously, nobody has anything definitive. Teams aren't going to take such a big risk on a guy who's torn his ACL, lacks strength in a big way, and doesn't have explosive athleticism. We all know Ford is an idiot, but he did tweet that teams tend to shy away from picking players in the 1st round who've torn their ACL (not exactly groundbreaking).

Edit: Not to mention, his stock was tumbling when he started to struggle before the injury. So, whatever the scouts thought they saw early in the season, seemingly disappeared or diminished in the handful of games before the injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've read tons of posts here on how the NBA drafts potential. his potential hasn't changed.
Actually, now you would have to add "potential health issues"3 and that's not a good thing. He should stay and prove himself...too many open questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom