NC State Still Thinks Orlando is Possible | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Still Thinks Orlando is Possible

Honestly a re match against wvu gives me a long yawn, we whooped them in the pinstripe and id rather see a regular season series with them scheduled. id rather play an unknown like Texas or give me an sec school like Kentucky. I am so annoyed hearing the sec homers cry the acc is trash wed run it down there throats yada yada, i wanna shut up the nonbelievers.

wouldn't mind Kentucky or a shot at Texas.

I don't know much about Giglio. The News Observer looks to me to be the best paper in NC, as least as far as coverage of ACC sports is involved. He seems to be the dean of the sportswriters there. He should have sources and is well positioned to be in the know.

Young Bailey seemed confident in his sources saying Syracuse was headed to Orlando. That soundbite Niko posted from John Wildhack made it sound like John, in his understated and diplomatic way, was also confident we are heading to Orlando.

This could become a political mess, with both sides lobbying hard to get this slot. NC State has a lot better chance to win that game than the one that was played on the football field between these programs a couple of weeks ago. I hope that people do the right thing, and assign the best ACC teams to the best bowls.

The league is down this year. No one is going to enjoy watching NC State lose to WVU 100-20 in the Camping World (if they pair those two, that is exactly what will happen). Syracuse can beat the Mountaineers and NC State might be able to beat whoever they get paired with in the Belk,

North Carolina newspaper writers may know the bowl selection folks really well, but ESPN is also involved, since networks are paying a lot of money to broadcast these games. We had a very exciting team this year. I'll be surprised if we get hosed, although if we get bumped from Orlando and wind up in the Sun Bowl, that's not too bad.

Honestly a re match against wvu gives me a long yawn, we whooped them in the pinstripe and id rather see a regular season series with them scheduled. id rather play an unknown like Texas or give me an sec school like Kentucky. I am so annoyed hearing the sec homers cry the acc is trash wed run it down there throats yada yada, i wanna shut up the nonbelievers.
cuse vs WVU would be an awesome QB battle though

The thing that makes the most sense to me is a development where NC State ends up in the Gator. If the Gator wants an ACC team, wouldn't a 9-3 NC State be more attractive than a 7-5 Miami team?

Yes, and NCSt fans would likely see this as a more prestigious New Year's Eve game than CWBowl. The big if is whether or not the Gator wants an ACC team over a BiG team. Maybe NCSt v. MissSt. That's pretty good proximity for both fan bases. Let the cow bells loose.

Totally agree, I have no interest in WV. We have played them so many times and crushed them in a recent bowl appearance, it’s really repetitive. Iowa St isn’t that exciting but I think it would give us a chance to get 10 wins this season. Also it’s a P5 program that we never play so it’s a unique chance to face someone new. WV was top 10 for a portion of the year and they’d be a tougher match for us than most realize. I’m hoping WV gets picked by Alamo and Iowa St goes to Camping.

Just a fan(atics) impression, but I want the Gator Bowl or the Sun Bowl just for its name recognition and long history w/college football. It's more relatable and reeks (in a good way) of college football.
Give me the Champs Sports Bowl all day, cause that's what this is, and we have some demons to purge to completely finish out our season of revenge. Orlando/Champs Sports is where this all started. It was the day of Calvin Johnson, it was the day of embarrassment, it was the final day for P and the reason we ended up with Gerg. We need Orlando, we need to put up 50+ points, then all will be right in the world and with Syracuse football. The circle will be complete.

Give me the Champs Sports Bowl all day, cause that's what this is, and we have some demons to purge to completely finish out our season of revenge. Orlando/Champs Sports is where this all started. It was the day of Calvin Johnson, it was the day of embarrassment, it was the final day for P and the reason we ended up with Gerg. We need Orlando, we need to put up 50+ points, then all will be right in the world and with Syracuse football. The circle will be complete.
I didn't see that underlying wave, but I understand your perspective.

Sign me up. What name does the Champs Sports Bowl go by nowadays?;)

I'd also prefer the Tangerine Bowl, the Russell Athletic Bowl or the Carquest Bowl

Sign me up. What name does the Champs Sports Bowl go by nowadays?;)

I'd also prefer the Tangerine Bowl, the Russell Athletic Bowl or the Carquest Bowl
Camping World Bowl which is pretty appropriate since it doesn't seem to have a a permanent home lol
I do wish it was still the Tangerine bowl though. I like fruit bowls.

Camping World Bowl which is pretty appropriate since it doesn't seem to have a a permanent home lol
CF98F669-E119-4346-8F33-D7D3751CFFC4.jpeg

Texas wins we play Iowa state bottom line cause Alamo will choose wvu. If Oklahoma wins then think it’s wvu?

I haven't read this whole thread, but here's what doesn't make much sense to me.

Let's say, for sake of argument, that NC State could sell more tickets and bring more fans to Orlando. I don't necessarily think that's true, but let's assume it is. How many more would it even be, 5,000 max?

I think we can all agree that Syracuse is the better story, the better team, the million times more interesting coach, and the team that should generate more TV interest.

So we're talking the city of Orlando, in late December, which I assume is just already a mob scene of tourists. They have another game just 3 days after Camping World that traditionally sells out. Are they really going to pick NC State because of some potential small bump in ticket sales and travelers?

Makes no sense. Complete and utter travesty if it happens.

North Carolina newspaper writers may know the bowl selection folks really well, but ESPN is also involved, since networks are paying a lot of money to broadcast these games. We had a very exciting team this year. I'll be surprised if we get hosed, although if we get bumped from Orlando and wind up in the Sun Bowl, that's not too bad.
There's a reason everyone and their brother is projecting cuse to the cw bowl.

Update: Giglio posted an article in the News-Observer late yesterday where he stepped back a bit from flat out saying NC State was definitely headed to Orlando.

His use of quotes on the word surprise is not very professional and a dead giveaway that he is not happy with the way things are developing. The sentence I highlighted is his first step towards backing down from his initial position.

I admire his willingness to stick his neck out and continue to hold a position no one else in the business agrees with. It is hard for me to understand his not even acknowledging there is a possibility NC State ends up playing in the Belk. Maybe he really has a source that knows more than people at ESPN and the Sentinel. I suppose anything is possible.

When the Orlando Sentinel changed its prediction from NC State to Syracuse yesterday morning, I felt a lot better about Syracuse's chances. Giglio conceding Syracuse might be too attractive pretty much clinches it for me. But I would never under estimate the power of lobbying in this in Southern conference we find ourselves in.

Clemson aside, here’s the latest breakdown on the ACC’s muddled bowl picture

Syracuse (9-3) was a “surprise” on the Atlantic side, emerging after a pair of 4-8 seasons, but even the feel-good story on the Coastal side — your choice Pitt (7-5) or Virginia (7-5) — didn’t exactly close the season with a bang.

That leaves the ACC bowl picture, after Clemson’s playoff spot and ACC title (I mean, the Tigers could lose ... ) muddled.

The Camping World Bowl in Orlando, Fla., gets the first choice after the CFP process. It’s important to note: The Camping World gets to make its choice based on its preference. Bowls care about two things: television appeal and selling tickets. Head-to-head results or ACC record/standing is not a factor. The only criteria the league gives Orlando (and the Tier I pool) is the “one-win” rule (ie a 7-5 team can’t be picked over a 9-3 team but an 8-4 team can).

If Syracuse jumps up in the CFP standings, the Orange might be too attractive pass up. N.C. State (8-3) is still considered the favorite to land in Orlando. The Wolfpack, with one more game with ECU (3-8), would be an interesting option to pair with West Virginia from the Big 12. Those two teams were supposed to meet in Raleigh on Sept. 15 but the game was wiped out by Hurricane Florence.

On paper, a West Virginia-N.C. State matchup would pit two of the top quarterbacks in the country. But there’s a chance WVU’s Will Grier will opt to sit out the bowl game to protect his NFL draft status. N.C. State’s Ryan Finley will have a choice to make on that front as well.

This guy sounds like the Todderick Hunt of the ACC.
Which is probably appropriate, considering NC State is the Rutgers of the ACC.

Can Syracuse turn down the Pinstripe for a lower tier Bowl? I rather go just about anywhere else. Let the apinstripe take VA Tech.
Pinstripe shouldn't even be an option if we don't get. Cw we should get belk or sun.

Your first line is awesome, and has been totally underrated joke.

Idk about y’all but I’m still praying for Nashville.

Flights are roughly half the cost to Nashville. Get a nice Airbnb. Would be an amazing trip.

Those who are saying no to a WV matchup do not understand the history of the program(s).
It is a heated rivalry game and would be great for recruiting if played in Orlando for more than one reason.
This^^^^^

Plus, the Pinstripe Bowl against WVU was 6 years ago. Dino was just finishing up his first season at Eastern Illinois and Dungey was still 2 years away from receiving an offer from Cuse. It feels like yesterday, but its been awhile.

Texas wins we play Iowa state bottom line cause Alamo will choose wvu. If Oklahoma wins then think it’s wvu?
If Oklahoma wins they may be in playoff with Texas to Sugar and WV to Alamo, ISU Camping. Some people think Alamo could pass up WV for ISU, probably based on geography. WV should be 8-9 places ahead of ISU in CFP rankings tonight so I’d think Alamo should grab them leaving us with ISU in Orlando.

This is the year we became a true member of the ACC on the football side. Before this year we were just happy to be here. Now that we've had success, we are a lot more exposed to conference politics and get to complain about how a conference that wants to represent the entire east coast is still so NC centric.

SU has a better angle to sell with both those teams than NCS. ISU becomes the battle of who made the better MAC coach hire 3 years ago and WVU is a long-time rival with a trophy at stake.

This^^^^^

Plus, the Pinstripe Bowl against WVU was 6 years ago. Dino was just finishing up his first season at Eastern Illinois and Dungey was still 2 years away from receiving an offer from Cuse. It feels like yesterday, but its been awhile.
Exactly. Not like we played them last week.

I get that it's not something "new" but I'd rather play a higher rated team with a chance to knock them off. Brand recognition creates excitement. Iowa state does nothing for us. Might as well play Kentucky in the music city bowl again. Bleh.

Last edited:
I think we are going pinstripe now. After this debacle of a COY award, the old boys network is gonna stick together and screw the yankees again