NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20 | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20

If K was a friend to JB.
He would use his pulpit to tell the NCAA to restore a bunch of JB’s wins.

That is what a friend would do. The guy has influence but he doesn’t publicly speak out like he could.

and the whining about losses on his record when his back hurt, the lecturing of other players, the change in demeanor after a loss as compared to a win, the promoting and installing the charge as a real thing in the sport, the list is endless.

I also wonder how tight he and JB would be if we were more of a threat to them.
I was watching our '89 game vs them on youtube the other day.
Hurley took some A+ dives on all of the key defensive positions when they really needed a stop. It's a miracle they didn't get called.
It's so obviously schooled into all their players.
He (K) really understands and and exploits the weak psyche of refs. They're dying to call a charge when the visiting team is up 4 with the ball.
I wouldn't hate them so much for it if guys like Winslow didn't draw blocking fouls for steamrolling dudes who sacraficed themselves to take legit charges. Truly nauseating.

This postgame show is the worst thing I’ve ever watched in my life. Rex Chapman RIP’ing living people and talking about 7 days rest in a tournament that starts up again in 4 days.. Bob Huggins on sleeping pills just mumbling.
Luckily I haven't seen much of this show but I did catch the girl make some snide comment about Kenpom the other day. Perfect if it were 2004 I guess.
It's incredible how they've managed to make Seth Davis seem reasonable.

Speaking of refs... I found it hilarious that Michigan State got tremendous "help" from the refs during the Davidson game, but when the exact same BS happened (4 or 5 fouls on one possession to change the momentum) against Duke, all of a sudden it's an atrocity.

Is this Arizona team comprised of a bunch of theatrical students Or future models? So much mugging, posing. :rolleyes:
Seriously, I heard them described as (paraphrasing) Gonzaga's X's and O's run by an international all-star team.

Of course, over the years, Gonzaga itself has had many internationals on its roster. No coincidence either, as Lloyd, the current UofA coach, has the overseas connections and was Few's assistant for many years.

I’m rooting for conference.

It seems we’re safe for now, as the SEC made their move, kill shot to the Big XII and it looks like the ACC, B1G and PAC will survive.

That said, I’d rather be in a strong conference.

CFB drives everything but Men’s CBB is the co-pilot. Given the ACC’s football struggles outside of Clemson, we can’t have our co-pilot out here in the passenger seat getting drunk.

There are a lot of things you can say about K, but that ain't one of them.
i mean hes a very smart person...but i mean as a coach... i dont think hes that great...hes not bad...but i think hes overrated...hes just benefitted from having superior talent in my opinion...same with phil jackson...put him on the knicks and he did nothing...give K a mid-major roster and hes not gonna do much imo

Last edited:
Anytime the conference has a good showing in the post season it’s good for Syracuse. This isn’t all that debatable. Some of it is money - but like the SEC in football, the perception of the league lifts all boats and that helps in a lot of ways - maybe most importantly in recruiting.

You want to be the best team in the best perceived conference. A good showing this year by the ACC reverses some of the “ACC is down” talk which bleeds into next seasons preseason.

Now all of that is sometimes not enough to overcome the hate of a rival. I feel that way about Duke, honestly. But it’s still good if they go far.
Yeah I just don't think Duke's postseason success has any notable impact on SU hoops. There are five power conferences plus the BE. These conferences' postseason success will wax and wane from year to year, except for the B1G. :). I think u overrate the importance of conference postseason success with regard to our recruiting success. We need to recruit better, regardless of how the ACC is doing. Our sub-par recruiting can not be blamed on the ACC's postseason performance.

The postseason dollars split 15 ways are the proverbial pimple on an elephant's @ss. They're not going to matter to our hoops program at all. It might help the tennis team but most of us are not too concerned about that. Certainly not worth rooting for Duke over that.

Last edited:
It’s helping the perception of the conference we are in which is *helping us right now*
You really believe that has any impact on SU recruiting? C'mon now.

If K was a friend to JB.
He would use his pulpit to tell the NCAA to restore a bunch of JB’s wins.
How do you know he hasn't done so?

Go google Myron Piggie and Duke.
They cheat and don’t get punished.

Syracuse commits 4 misdemeanors gets treated like a habitual offender.

Coach K and Duke are cheaters.
Good riddance. He has been such a friend to Jim Boeheim. He was so good to us he recruited Jordan Tucker to sit on his bench as the 11th guy when Syracuse really wanted and recruited him hard.
K didn’t need Tucker and the kid left halfway thru his freshman year.

K and Boeheim are friends. K hasn’t done anything for Syracuse hoops.
Duke can’t lose fast enough.
Yeah I'm not too concerned who JB's friends are. To base a rooting interest on that is kinda strange imo.

Agree. Close finishes and TV hype cover up the fact that the quality of play in most games is atrocious.
In some strange way that almost heightens the appeal. Incredibly unpredictable but the level of intensity is crazy. The one and done aspect is off the charts. Watching an NBA game in comparison is like watching paint dry.

I’m rooting for conference.

It seems we’re safe for now, as the SEC made their move, kill shot to the Big XII and it looks like the ACC, B1G and PAC will survive.

That said, I’d rather be in a strong conference.

CFB drives everything but Men’s CBB is the co-pilot. Given the ACC’s football struggles outside of Clemson, we can’t have our co-pilot out here in the passenger seat getting drunk.
What if Duke falls off badly after K leaves? Is that bad for us?

Yeah I just don't think Duke's postseason success has any notable impact on SU hoops. There are five power conferences plus the BE. These conferences' postseason success will wax and wane from year to year, except for the B1G. :). I think u overrate the importance of conference postseason success with regard to our recruiting success. We need to recruit better, regardless of how the ACC is doing. Our sub-par recruiting can not be blamed on the ACC's postseason performance.

The postseason dollars split 15 ways are the proverbial pimple on an elephant's @ss. They're not going to matter to our hoops program at all. It might help the tennis team but most of us are not too concerned about that. Certainly not worth rooting for Duke over that.

Having three teams we almost beat make the Sweet 16 makes me feel better about the SU team and season. And I like to feel better. So there's that. :cool:

I'm a bit confused as to the rooting stuff. First, in general, I'm all for more money for Syracuse. Sure, that's great. No doubt.

But, in reality, I'm never going to root for Duke. Just won't happen. Unless maybe if they are playing UConn or something. I dunno.

Duke has been eating everyone's lunch in terms of recruiting. And they've broken away from the rest of the ACC in terms of talent. I don't think that's good for the rest of the league. Syracuse, UNC, LVille need to level up to be right with them. They've also gotten away with seemingly serious potential recruiting violations and K is not some saint. Which is fine, we're all human and college basketball isn't some bastion of purity that I look to for guidance in morality.

Separately, I'm not sure what our past has to do with anything. If K helps JB get his wins back, great. But that helps JB. If K goes to bat for JB during our second probation, great, but 1) that's history and 2) we still got probation. If K has staved off a third probation for us that we don't know about, great.

The ACC stunk this year. UNC got better as the year went along and it makes sense they are having a run. Duke is really talented. Makes sense they are in the S16. UM is the cinderella that has decent talent, a good coach and plays hard.

But I will not root for Duke. I'm fine if UNC and U of M do well. All for it. But I cannot and will not root for Duke.

We're Syracuse, while I appreciate all the benefits of the ACC doing well, I expect us, as a tier 2 school in the college basketball landscape to take care of our own house and keep it in order. The day I have to root for Duke to help float us vs just being a regular fan that can hate Duke is the day we admit to stop being a top program.

I'm a bit confused as to the rooting stuff. First, in general, I'm all for more money for Syracuse. Sure, that's great. No doubt.

But, in reality, I'm never going to root for Duke. Just won't happen. Unless maybe if they are playing UConn or something. I dunno.

Duke has been eating everyone's lunch in terms of recruiting. And they've broken away from the rest of the ACC in terms of talent. I don't think that's good for the rest of the league. Syracuse, UNC, LVille need to level up to be right with them. They've also gotten away with seemingly serious potential recruiting violations and K is not some saint. Which is fine, we're all human and college basketball isn't some bastion of purity that I look to for guidance in morality.

Separately, I'm not sure what our past has to do with anything. If K helps JB get his wins back, great. But that helps JB. If K goes to bat for JB during our second probation, great, but 1) that's history and 2) we still got probation. If K has staved off a third probation for us that we don't know about, great.

The ACC stunk this year. UNC got better as the year went along and it makes sense they are having a run. Duke is really talented. Makes sense they are in the S16. UM is the cinderella that has decent talent, a good coach and plays hard.

But I will not root for Duke. I'm fine if UNC and U of M do well. All for it. But I cannot and will not root for Duke.

We're Syracuse, while I appreciate all the benefits of the ACC doing well, I expect us, as a tier 2 school in the college basketball landscape to take care of our own house and keep it in order. The day I have to root for Duke to help float us vs just being a regular fan that can hate Duke is the day we admit to stop being a top program.

I confess that i rooted for Georgetown to beat Houston in '84.

1647881810039.png

Having three teams we almost beat make the Sweet 16 makes me feel better about the SU team and season. And I like to feel better. So there's that. :cool:
That's fine. Nobody should be questioned on whether they want to root for Duke or not. We're all sports fans and usually we end up rooting for one team or another. But the idea that Duke's success will accrue to our benefit in any material way borders on being comical tbh.

Last edited:
Tell the ACC to learn how to negotiate a competent media rights deal so the league isn’t the SEC and B1G’s little brother instead of worrying about Dook losing in the sweet 16 instead of the second round and Syracuse losing out on a chunk of change that doesn’t even cover all of our coach’s country club memberships

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom