New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise

The article says he did not use an agent when he was originally hired.

"Hurley was uncomfortable talking money, and making his own argument, when dealing with his boss. He did so when he first arrived because he badly wanted the job."

I have the worst reading comprehension.

The whole thing, to me, looks like Hurley's first time dealing with all of this, his guilty conscience kicked in, and he didn't want to be labeled as one of those job jumping coaches. So it was made to look like he had no choice.

He'll get over that quickly. They all do.

If it's White, it's interesting to speculate on whether his head coach search would be similar to UB.

He hired a d3 coach with national championships and an amazing record (no talk about denominators and quartiles there) and offensive background

I'm all for hiring offense and taking a chance to find someone great.

AD news. football supporter from Ontario who raised a ton of money. Going back to Ore St where he worked previously.

Last edited:
Whitey23 said:
The 7 biggest challenges facing Syracuse's new athletic director 1. A struggling football program 2. Internal upheaval 3. A coach-in-waiting 4. An aging Carrier Dome 5. NCAA probation 6. The '44' debate 7. The budget Carlson also added that the salary is near the bottom of the conference and that the guy from NIU, that wasn't contacted for the job, doesn't want the job.

Looks like my post from yesterday pointing out the issues that say to me, go with an experienced AD.

The 7 biggest challenges facing Syracuse's new athletic director

1. A struggling football program
2. Internal upheaval
3. A coach-in-waiting
4. An aging Carrier Dome
5. NCAA probation
6. The '44' debate
7. The budget

Carlson also added that the salary is near the bottom of the conference and that the guy from NIU, that wasn't contacted for the job, doesn't want the job.
#1 is viewed as an opportunity by any real candidate. He may need only to come in and maintain the status quo, and ride the wave.

#2 is what a new AD causes, isn't it? By design.

#3 is only an issue if the guy is a bum.

#4 is a great opportunity to either (a) revamp and make relevant a classic college sports venue, or (b) break ground on a shiny new facility.

#5 is an issue... for now. The appeal may turn that into more of a speeedbump than a stop sign.

#6 is a complete non-issue. Nice try.

#7 is an issue for sure, but is a great opportunity for someone with sound fiscal sense. The revenue stream is in good shape, and a realistic appraisal of what the department can support should get us on solid footing. That includes paying competitive football salaries across the board, if and when that becomes necessary.

2. Internal upheaval
3. A coach-in-waiting
4. An aging Carrier Dome
5. NCAA probation
6. The '44' debate
7. The budget

Carlson also added that the salary is near the bottom of the conference and that the guy from NIU, that wasn't contacted for the job, doesn't want the job.
So not only does he get his story ideas from here, he also knows what Kent is prepared to pay. Carnac has nothing on Carlson.

#1 is viewed as an opportunity by any real candidate. He may need only to come in and maintain the status quo, and ride the wave.

#4 is a great opportunity to either (a) revamp and make relevant a classic college sports venue, or (b) break ground on a shiny new facility.

#5 is an issue... for now. The appeal may turn that into more of a speeedbump than a stop sign.

#7 is an issue for sure, but is a great opportunity for someone with sound fiscal sense. The revenue stream is in good shape, and a realistic appraisal of what the department can support should get us on solid footing. That includes paying competitive football salaries across the board, if and when that becomes necessary.

I never argue with my doctor.

Thank you for pointing this out. I would be excited by this challenge and its a major selling point I think. Cuse has shown it is ready to invest in program, Einsley, Dome, etc., so why would that scare anyone off. Top conference, plenty of money, moderate expectations. Come on!

Whitey23 said:
The 7 biggest challenges facing Syracuse's new athletic director 1. A struggling football program 2. Internal upheaval 3. A coach-in-waiting 4. An aging Carrier Dome 5. NCAA probation 6. The '44' debate 7. The budget Carlson also added that the salary is near the bottom of the conference and that the guy from NIU, that wasn't contacted for the job, doesn't want the job.

This list is great insight into how Carlson and co. view Syracuse. A candidate views just about all of those things as opportunities.

The only one that is worth mentioning is the NCAA stuff.

This list is great insight into how Carlson and co. view Syracuse. A candidate views just about all of those things as opportunities.

The only one that is worth mentioning is the NCAA stuff.

In other news, Chris Carlson kicked his mother in the head yesterday for not keeping a previously agreed-upon quantity of Pudding Pops available for consumption.

2. Internal upheaval
3. A coach-in-waiting
4. An aging Carrier Dome
5. NCAA probation
6. The '44' debate
7. The budget

Yeah, most of those are kind of silly, at least if we assume that the author means "challenges" as "my reasons why I think this job sucks and no one wants it".

Only 1, 5 and 7 are real things. And only 7 would be a true dealbreaker on taking the job for most candidates who have other options.

Yeah, most of those are kind of silly, at least if we assume that the author means "challenges" as "my reasons why I think this job sucks and no one wants it".

Only 1, 5 and 7 are real things. And only 7 would be a true dealbreaker on taking the job for most candidates who have other options.
to me the only thing that matters is #7.

you need to make sure you will have the $$ to do what needs to be done.

#1 should be what any new AD worth their salt would be chomping the bit over to have. go be the hero.
#2 par for the course with this type of change
#3 i would hope not, best to see what is out there
#4 bah-humbug. its all about the practice facilities. maybe make the home locker room bigger and better if possible, but not a real issue
#5 over with.
#6 what? thats for message boards to argue over
#7 now lets debate that, thats your enigma...
LED-ZEPPELIN-Presence.jpg

i'm not so sure that syracuse is an easy sell,at this point in time. sanctions, shaky football program, dome antiquity and lack of future plan, new chancellor, which no one has a feel for his commitment to athletics yet,and the ad has to report to. bucknell is a stable job,w/o the high risk factors of a p5 school with issues, and notoriously cheap. i don't know if being a private school is a negative or not. i do believe that the local politics of the mayor, if researched by the candidate, would be a negative
It would not be a difficult "sell." If you polled every Athletic Director in the country, I would guess 99.9 % of them would say the Syracuse AD job is a better role than the Bucknell role. SU is Power 5, better facilities, higher revenue from gate and conference contracts, more sports, more nationally known, higher profile coaches..; I get tired typing all of the ways the 'Cuse AD role would be considered a "better role" in the AD community.

In any job search, you want to recruit an employee who is happy with their current role/city, etc . In the AD employee category that means they have built something it will be hard to walk away from, including admin team developed, coaches hired, inroads built to fundraising; and that they have made familial connections in their community. But there is no scenario where the SU AD role is a "tough sell" to the AD of a program at Bucknell's level, IF that AD wants to move up a level. There can be scenarios where that AD does not accept the role (family considerations, promised a role with a Power 5 school in their optimal region in a few years, etc). But the roles, on their own merit, are equivalent to major league versus top notch AAA. Everything bigger at Major league level, including the challenges.

Btw, schools changing ADs almost always have challenges (unless the AD retired while all sports and athlete academics are at zenith), since that is what usually prompts the change.

It would not be a difficult "sell." If you polled every Athletic Director in the country, I would guess 99.9 % of them would say the Syracuse AD job is a better role than the Bucknell role. SU is Power 5, better facilities, higher revenue from gate and conference contracts, more sports, more nationally known, higher profile coaches..; I get tired typing all of the ways the 'Cuse AD role would be considered a "better role" in the AD community.

In any job search, you want to recruit an employee who is happy with their current role/city, etc . In the AD employee category that means they have built something it will be hard to walk away from, including admin team developed, coaches hired, inroads built to fundraising; and that they have made familial connections in their community. But there is no scenario where the SU AD role is a "tough sell" to the AD of a program at Bucknell's level, IF that AD wants to move up a level. There can be scenarios where that AD does not accept the role (family considerations, promised a role with a Power 5 school in their optimal region in a few years, etc). But the roles, on their own merit, are equivalent to major league versus top notch AAA. Everything bigger at Major league level, including the challenges.

Btw, schools changing ADs almost always have challenges (unless the AD retired while all sports and athlete academics are at zenith), since that is what usually prompts the change.
i did not say that the bucknell job was better, i said it was stable. what i did say is that the su job is a tough sell. i think you over estimate the su position. we have been listed as the worst football coaching spot in the acc to say nothing about nationally perception as a power 5. the bucknell guy had been here and says no---whats does that say of how he sees the support???the su job is for the up and comer, not for the experienced. i am not saying thats bad but i am saying that is where the appeal will be. you are naive to ignore the negativity of this position given the instability of the athletic program and UNKOWN commitment from a new chancellor who is "belt tightening".the only major plus is the acc money.

i did not say that the bucknell job was better, i said it was stable. what i did say is that the su job is a tough sell. i think you over estimate the su position. we have been listed as the worst football coaching spot in the acc to say nothing about nationally perception as a power 5. the bucknell guy had been here and says no---whats does that say of how he sees the support???the su job is for the up and comer, not for the experienced. i am not saying thats bad but i am saying that is where the appeal will be. you are naive to ignore the negativity of this position given the instability of the athletic program and UNKOWN commitment from a new chancellor who is "belt tightening".the only major plus is the acc money.
Where did you read that "the bucknell guy had been here"?

tipphill said:

So tired of the "belt tightening" as a negative. Would you rather have someone who doesn't know what to spend money on go over budget constantly? Or have a guy who sticks to a budget and is squeezing every drop out efficiently?

tipphill said:

Also: you're missing just about all the positives going for this school. The list is too long. Even football that feels like a train wreck coming off a 3-9 season - is in a good spot given our built-in disadvantages. New IPF didn't make your list?! How about the Melo Center?!

Since Frazier was a candidate at Pitt, and SU used the same search firm, I find it hard to believe that he wasn't contacted. I am not surprised by his public comments since he's out raising money for NIU and can't afford to be seen as looking everywhere else for a job, just like I bet every other candidate can deny.

As for Mink and Carlson, I would imagine it's not that hard to generate a list of possible candidates if you do a little research. A couple of guys at Nunes apparently did: http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/3...-next-syracuse-athletic-director-orange-daryl

Are you talking about Joe Frazier? I would rather him be the AD and he is dead than Herm Frazier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom