Class of 2023 - New Transfer: Matt Wright (ON / Hill Academy) LSM / Grad Transfer from UNC | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Transfer: Matt Wright (ON / Hill Academy) LSM / Grad Transfer from UNC

This frees up Olexxo to play full time at close as he's the best 1 on 1 defender SU has right now. Could see a starting close of Olexxo Caccamo and Figuerias with Wright and Clary at LSM

Where does that leave Dwan?

Where does that leave Dwan?

Gonna be a big battle for a starting spot assuming Olexxo plays close. Olexxo could play LSM with Wright but seems unlikely SU wants him off the field half the game. Perhaps Dwan beats out Caccamo or Figurias but remember Figuerias was a starter before blowing his knee out as a frosh and before playing a second of actual game time. Assuming he's 100% I suspect he's going to start. Gonna be some tough choices for SU to make next year.

Gonna be a big battle for a starting spot assuming Olexxo plays close. Olexxo could play LSM with Wright but seems unlikely SU wants him off the field half the game. Perhaps Dwan beats out Caccamo or Figurias but remember Figuerias was a starter before blowing his knee out as a frosh and before playing a second of actual game time. Assuming he's 100% I suspect he's going to start. Gonna be some tough choices for SU to make next year.
As we have said when MD DUKE ND etc go crazy in the portal - its a problem, but it is the best problem you could have.

I think Kol is the one that gets bumped

I like Dwan at Close. Great off ball, presence and does his job.

Gonna be interesting.

Yup he showed a lot of promise this past season and was just scratching the surface.

SU does have options with all the depth and guys who can play LSM. Could move Caccamo to LSM and run Wright and him as the LSM combo with Olexxo Dwan and Figuerias at Close with Clary the pivot guy to support at LSM or Close depending on injury or ineffectiveness.

If Figueiras is back to his normal self after ACL surgery I feel he will be on the field. Team is missing that vocal leader on defense in my opinion.

I think Kol is the one that gets bumped

Ya Kol slipped my mind there for a sec he's another guy who has had some struggles but also success. Your looking at Wright, Olexxo, Clary, Caccamo, Kol, Dwan and Figuerias for 4 spots and that's not counting Sagedar who came on strong late. Good luck sorting that out. Scott seems a lock to RS at this point.

If Figueiras is back to his normal self after ACL surgery I feel he will be on the field. Team is missing that vocal leader on defense in my opinion.

Agreed, I suspect he will be starting from Day 1 next season assuming he's ready physically.

Ya Kol slipped my mind there for a sec he's another guy who has had some struggles but also success. Your looking at Wright, Olexxo, Clary, Caccamo, Kol, Dwan and Figuerias for 4 spots and that's not counting Sagedar who came on strong late. Good luck sorting that out. Scott seems a lock to RS at this point.
And then there’s Chuck who red shirted.. loving the depth at defense now

11Riley FigueirasDR-Fr.
25Nick FraterrigoDSr.
26Chuck KuczynskiDR-Fr.
28Nick CaccamoDR-Jr.
30Landon ClaryDR-Jr.
32Jack WitherspoonDR-Jr.
33Cadel KolDR-Jr.
35Billy DwanDSo.
41Jordan BeckDSo.
Donny ScottDFr.
6Kyle GonsiorekLSMR-So.