New Uni Story From P-S | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Uni Story From P-S

Alsacs said:
Responses like this are basically saying well I don't personally think your opinion as any merit of importance so I am going to give a smug response and sound smarter than you with my response. We are called the Syracuse Orange that is the freaking nickname. If you watched the football team last year and saw their uniforms if I gave you a guess would you think the only official color of the University is Orange or Blue? I don't see this see as a #firstworldproblem I see it as a school who has NO freaking clue what their brand identity is.

I do identity for a living - and I can safely say you are overplaying the obvious (it's in our freaking name!!!!) in place of a good well rounded strategy. If uni's were about fans, we'd all get a vote and see McNabb era uni's. The branding is being directed at players and recruits (see Shafer on this) not fans. It's like watching PBS kids and complaining that they don't show Mash reruns.

Sounds like there will be more orange and more options ... Breathe, man. Respectfully.

rrlbees said:
Here's my rule of thumb. Do they say "Syracuse" (I don't mean the word). If not, they're the wrong ones.

That's a perfect argument for how you pick what you will wear to the game. Uni's are not meant to say "Syracuse" to fans primarily - the role of uni's have changed.

I do identity for a living - and I can safely say you are overplaying the obvious (it's in our freaking name!!!!) in place of a good well rounded strategy. If uni's were about fans, we'd all get a vote and see McNabb era uni's. The branding is being directed at players and recruits (see Shafer on this) not fans. It's like watching PBS kids and complaining that they don't show Mash reruns.

Sounds like there will be more orange and more options ... Breathe, man. Respectfully.
we are getting closer to you admitting that you chose the uni combos that the kids got to choose from.

and you chose to show them all blue. :)

I give opinions I usually give some evidence to support where I am coming from. I don't expect nor care if anyone agrees with me. I won't admit I like it when people support my positions, but it doesn't define what I believe. If I give a legit opinion and then its thrown back in my face without acknowledging the freaking point then and takes my position completely out of context then I am going to unleash my inner-lawyer and say what I believe. I never state nor believe my opinion is superior's to anyone else's, but when I get a smug response response back you can guarantee I won't be afraid to call it for what it is.

I believe 100% you no more about branding than me. I have taken an IP class and that is about the extent of my branding expertise. However, my point was the football uniforms last year had too much blue and not enough orange. If the new uniforms rectify this discrepancy and have more Orange in 2014 I will and be done with it. If someone disagrees with me 100% and I agree with them on something I will say it as I don't care who says what. I am not right in everything I say, but I don't spend all my time saying crazy stuff to have something like that thrown in my face.

I have to respectfully say...

I don't like change either. BUT, those of you who want the "McNabb era" uniforms back think of this...

There are pictures in my cave, of McNabb in a white jersey with blue numerals.
The Morris era had white pants.
Bill Hurley wore a white helmet.
Ernie Davis had numbers in the side of the helmet.
The G-rob era uni was a catastrophe for the most part.

The McNabb era was a particular point in time. Who's to say that an old timer from the Jim brown era, didn't see the 80's and 90's uniforms and think the exact same thing.

The unis the last few years were just the modern version of the McNabb ones.
The unis have rolled with the changes over the years, and are going to continue rolling.

Cheer for your team, and help them win regardless of the design.

But I agree I want orange featured.

KaiserUEO said:
we are getting closer to you admitting that you chose the uni combos that the kids got to choose from. and you chose to show them all blue. :)

I wish. That's more money than I make for sure.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't give them an all blue uni to choose from. But I can live with them ;).

Alsacs said:
I give opinions I usually give some evidence to support where I am coming from. I don't expect nor care if anyone agrees with me. I won't admit I like it when people support my positions, but it doesn't define what I believe. If I give a legit opinion and then its thrown back in my face without acknowledging the freaking point then and takes my position completely out of context then I am going to unleash my inner-lawyer and say what I believe. I never state nor believe my opinion is superior's to anyone else's, but when I get a smug response response back you can guarantee I won't be afraid to call it for what it is. I believe 100% you no more about branding than me. I have taken an IP class and that is about the extent of my branding expertise. However, my point was the football uniforms last year had too much blue and not enough orange. If the new uniforms rectify this discrepancy and have more Orange in 2014 I will and be done with it. If someone disagrees with me 100% and I agree with them on something I will say it as I don't care who says what. I am not right in everything I say, but I don't spend all my time saying crazy stuff to have something like that thrown in my face.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't worth anything - I largely agree with your position. It's the frequency at which you post about it that made me suggest you "breathe." Didn't mean any harm - and respect your opinion.

I was attempting to offer a reason that the branding doesn't make sense. It's like wondering why MTV does what it does when you're a 30 something. I don't get the marketing, but that's because I fall outside of the target audience.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but when the uniforms don't reflect SU tradition I feel disrespected. And when I feel disrespected I don't invest as much in the program (tickets, donations, etc.). Sorry, kids.

OrangeAl said:
Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but when the uniforms don't reflect SU tradition I feel disrespected. And when I feel disrespected I don't invest as much in the program (tickets, donations, etc.). Sorry, kids.

It's calculated risk. Anger older fans but get better recruits? Keep tradition but look stale to kids?

They are guessing that fans will be more forgiving when we start winning at a higher clip. And that your kids will want to buy a few alt jerseys ;).

I'm not saying your opinion isn't worth anything - I largely agree with your position. It's the frequency at which you post about it that made me suggest you "breathe." Didn't mean any harm - and respect your opinion.

I was attempting to offer a reason that the branding doesn't make sense. It's like wondering why MTV does what it does when you're a 30 something. I don't get the marketing, but that's because I fall outside of the target audience.
It wasn't you that my message about my opinion isn't worth anything it was the response to my post by the poster above. I believe he was defending his friend and thought he was being cute in telling me its not a first world problem. If you disagree with me fine, but if somebody gives me a dbag response don't be surprised when I come back with a strong response.

It wasn't you that my message about my opinion isn't worth anything it was the response to my post by the poster above. I believe he was defending his friend and thought he was being cute in telling me its not a first world problem. If you disagree with me fine, but if somebody gives me a dbag response don't be surprised when I come back with a strong response.
im pretty sure we have a board for first world problems too.

or at least we can suggest a place and an object for posters with out of touch responses like that to go sit on.

im pretty sure that the school is getting the message, or at least they should,...that all blue and/or blue 90% of the time or whatever, was a fail.

and if anyone doesnt like it, well the hoop team is #2 in the country and we also have a board for that. i realize that since most of you cant work a remote, its likely you cant work a mouse, but come on now...

why anyone is crying about us debating the football uni color in january is beyond me.

i suppose we could debate whos your favorite player that wore gray wool socks with black hightops, but i think we should leave that for the hoop board this june.

btw: what bees said about turning on the tv and being able to know whos playing right away or at least have an idea, should matter. we shouldnt have to wait for a sixth sense moment when going to commercial break and they that play lou reed spot. (i know the SYR is in the corner blah blah blah, shutup. once again you miss the point)

Responses like this are basically saying well I don't personally think your opinion as any merit of importance so I am going to give a smug response and sound smarter than you with my response. We are called the Syracuse Orange that is the freaking nickname. If you watched the football team last year and saw their uniforms if I gave you a guess would you think the only official color of the University is Orange or Blue? I don't see this see as a #firstworldproblem I see it as a school who has NO freaking clue what their brand identity is.
It wasn't a problem as it didn't affect us on the field and didn't have any effect on the perception of our program.

We haven't even seen the redesign yet and people here are already complaining and losing their minds.

It's all about winning. Start winning and no one will care that much but with uniforms look like.

Scooch said:
Huh? SU hoops wins a ton and people still care about what the uniforms look like.

Another thing, it's not like syracuse was the only team. A lot of teams changed to that uniform at the same time, and continue to do so.

Huh?

SU hoops wins a ton and people still care about what the uniforms look like.
But compared to the amount of discussion on this board about the football uniforms, almost no one on the basketball board discusses it. The men's b-ball team wins. The football team has struggled. Though I do agree with the "more orange" crowd and as said before I like the traditional orange/blue/orange combo. I also accept that my voice doesn't matter.

But compared to the amount of discussion on this board about the football uniforms, almost no one on the basketball board discusses it. The men's b-ball team wins. The football team has struggled. Though I do agree with the "more orange" crowd and as said before I like the traditional orange/blue/orange combo. I also accept that my voice doesn't matter.

Well, the hoops unis have been the same for, what, 4 years now? There was a TON of discussion about it when the change happened, which occurred while the program was in the top 10 I believe.

I just tire of the cliche WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT UNIFORMS...IS THIS A FASHION SITE... JUST WIN AND OTHER SUCH THINGS comments.

Uniforms have always been a fairly important part of sports. No one gives a crap what the musicians in New York Philharmonic wear, but abandon the Yankee pinstripes and there'd be bloodshed in the Bronx.

I don't agree with those that want the "classic" uniforms of 1998 to never be touched (let's all think on that one a while, shall we) but I'm cool with people discussing it. Every 5th post in uniforms threads is someone saying "who cares?!". Well, if you don't care, don't post about it, dummies.

well, i can assure you that there was an absolute shlit-show when the hoop team came out with orange unis and blue numbers about 10 years ago.

and when the grey duct tape unis came out, it was worse.

its still present, except now its in whatever status for most.

and at least the away are 95% ORANGE.

football just changed the uni, basically a whatever thing. updates are good, hip is cool and what not...but they dropped orange altogther.

and welcome to january 27, 2014......

-d9ba13b0c25ef8d9.JPG

Syracuse offensive linemen Jim McKenzie (60) and Carroll Madison try to help quarterback Andrew Robinson get up after a sack on Sept. 15, 2007. Frank Ordonez | Post-Standard

This says everything about the entire GRob era. As long as we stay away from these with a 10-foot pole, it can't be that bad.

well, i can assure you that there was an absolute shlit-show when the hoop team came out with orange unis and blue numbers about 10 years ago.

and when the grey duct tape unis came out, it was worse.

its still present, except now its in whatever status for most.

and at least the away are 95% ORANGE.

football just changed the uni, basically a whatever thing. updates are good, hip is cool and what not...but they dropped orange altogther.

and welcome to january 27, 2014...
So if we wore the exact same pattern and design as hoops, just as football unis, you would be happy?

Well, the hoops unis have been the same for, what, 4 years now? There was a TON of discussion about it when the change happened, which occurred while the program was in the top 10 I believe.

I just tire of the cliche WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT UNIFORMS...IS THIS A FASHION SITE... JUST WIN AND OTHER SUCH THINGS comments.

Uniforms have always been a fairly important part of sports. No one gives a crap what the musicians in New York Philharmonic wear, but abandon the Yankee pinstripes and there'd be bloodshed in the Bronx.

I don't agree with those that want the "classic" uniforms of 1998 to never be touched (let's all think on that one a while, shall we) but I'm cool with people discussing it. Every 5th post in uniforms threads is someone saying "who cares?!". Well, if you don't care, don't post about it, dummies.

So if we wore the exact same pattern and design as hoops, just as football unis, you would be happy?
well, since you asked...i hate all white for football.

hated the Giants in it in the 80s & 90s. hate it on the vikings, colts, browns etc...just doesnt work for me. :noidea:

if Syracuse does a 'white out', well i think it would be a fail because id prefer an Orange out, but whatever. as long as the helmets are orange ;)

i dont mind grey on the unis.

to me grey is a filler. its like white, its non denominational.

now you can be the white owls (cto ;) ) or the grey avenger (miss that sob), but to be all white or grey is stupid.

if we can drop blue as trim and go grey, im all for it.