Next Season... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next Season...

yeah, I think it is entirely possible that Duke finishes in the top 3. But maybe not. Sorry, I think we will be terrific next year.

Don't say you're sorry. If we bring back everyone but Tyus we should be top 6. If not, something is very wrong.

Don't say you're sorry. If we bring back everyone but Tyus we should be top 6. If not, something is very wrong.

I'm starting to question next year a little bit. We lose Tyus and that's a huge loss, will our defense be as good, and how much better will our offense be?

If our offense improves but not by a lot, we're still in trouble. Will Bazley be able to carry the load as a freshman, is Carey the next Flynn or the next Joseph, is Hughes the next Wes Johnson or Ethan Cole?

There are a lot of questions marks and our recent years with new players entering the system doesn't have the best results.

I'm starting to question next year a little bit. We lose Tyus and that's a huge loss, will our defense be as good, and how much better will our offense be?

If our offense improves but not by a lot, we're still in trouble. Will Bazley be able to carry the load as a freshman, is Carey the next Flynn or the next Joseph, is Hughes the next Wes Johnson or Ethan Cole?

There are a lot of questions marks and our recent years with new players entering the system doesn't have the best results.
Thank you for helping this thread get a little more realistic.
We don't know how new players will impact the team whether it's skill level on offense or defense, adding good chemistry or just being in shape to play at an ACC level.
It looks good but are we (as usual) overhyping what will really happen?

Thank you for helping this thread get a little more realistic.
We don't know how new players will impact the team whether it's skill level on offense or defense, adding good chemistry or just being in shape to play at an ACC level.
It looks good but are we (as usual) overhyping what will really happen?

I agree with both of you. That's why I threw cold water about next year throughout this thread. But roster turnover is a reality in college basketball. If we can't finish top 6 next year with everyone back other than Tyus and the new players coming in, it's panic city. Oh, and everyone back does not include HW too, as it's unrealistic to expect him back at this juncture.

Should we not expect a top half of the ACC finish? The guys we had this year should get better with their experience. Maybe Sidibe's knee issue is resolved. There is reason for optimism but the team has to do it on the court and like you guys said, lots of work to be done.

I agree with both of you. That's why I threw cold water about next year throughout this thread. But roster turnover is a reality in college basketball. If we can't finish top 6 next year with everyone back other than Tyus and the new players coming in, it's panic city. Oh, and everyone back does not include HW too, as it's unrealistic to expect him back at this juncture.

Should we not expect a top half of the ACC finish? The guys we had this year should get better with their experience. Maybe Sidibe's knee issue is resolved. There is reason for optimism but the team has to do it on the court and like you guys said, lots of work to be done.

Top 6 in the ACC I see, I thought you meant top 6 in the country.

A perfect illustration of expectations getting shaky this year is Duke. Great talent that is very inconsistent especially on defense.
I think I heard they were going to blow everyone away!

I keep wondering about Hughes as well, which isn't quite fair. I mean, I've read some comments on his shooting being decent from the coaches, but 27% off a lot of attempts his Frosh year isn't all that impressive. Chukwu...Moyer...we don't have very good luck lately with these lower ranked kids that aren't arriving as NBA ready one year and out pretty much finished products.

I don't know if anyone here has ever heard me say that next year we would be terrific before. I said it one other time. Before 2012. Next year we will have at least 4 guys that can score on the floor at all times. In today's college basketball, that puts you ahead of the game. I think I know how good Hughes is. Good idea about Bazley as well. We will have guys with experience and that alone will help. We will lose games. It's tough on the road in the ACC. Having said that, I am going to get tickets (scalper) for the Duke game.

Top 6 in the ACC I see, I thought you meant top 6 in the country.

I meant ACC. I was responding to dasher's post that we should be top 3 in the ACC, which is a tall order.

Battle will not be at Syracuse next year.
I’m not sure but his game currently is significantly flawed. He has a weird hitch to his shot he rarely gets assists. He makes many mistakes and turnovers He doesn’t get teammates involved. He doesn’t talk or coach on court he doesn’t drive the basket often or well. He needs another year in my humble opinion. In his current state he gets eaten up

Your point about Oshae being well built is an interesting one. That was the first thing I noticed when I saw him this year - sure he can always get stronger, but I felt he was starting at a much better point than a lot of freshmen. Just don't get his difficulty finishing inside.

i do not understand it either, b/c there are moments in the games where he literally flies in for a dunk, but usually there is not anyone in his way on these, leads me to believe it is more of a concentration issue, i watched some of his tape from high school, he would drive to the hoop aggressively and get fouled, not able finish either, now the talent level is higher, i also noticed at the game on Sat many times his shot was not even close, like he is throwing it up there, that to me looks like concentration as well, hopefully he can get better at finishing.

Oshae was also rebounding better earlier in the season, this is all about too many minutes on the floor

On the other hand, which was upsetting to see on vs. VA, the team was holding their shorts at the foul line in the 2nd half, I do not agree with JB here, give the players a few minutes off, especially when they are struggling like Tyus was, he could have used a few words of advice, he did work thru it, but if i am a parent, i am not happy about time management, does not matter that we only have 6 scholarship players available, they practice everyday, play a few walk-on's to burn minutes, kids deserve and need a blow and should be playing ballpark 32-34 min avg range per game.

Have they thought of checking with Dino to see if any of the football players are interested in playing basketball, got to believe some of the kids would want to play, again even for 2-4 minutes per 1/2, if i am a parent of one of the 6 guys I am livid about the playing time

I meant ACC. I was responding to dasher's post that we should be top 3 in the ACC, which is a tall order.

Top 6 in the ACC isn't good enough. FF'n Clemson is 2nd right now. I'm expecting at least top 3. If it isn't better, JB should let Autry have a shot at the gig.

Do we have any updates on HW? It was very encouraging to see him in the huddles during TOs the other day. He looks far more mobile than I was expecting.

What's the story? Waiting for the swelling to go down before they operate?

I’m sure you’ve seen most if not all the games this year. Many many games Frank has had no trouble getting into the lane. That’s how he gets up so many floaters in the lane, or dumping the ball to a big who makes it or usually misses. It get progressively more difficult as teams pack it in more and more as we show we can’t shoot from outside.

Our problem isn't Frank. Our problem is we have no one who can make a jump shot on a consistent basis. If Carey can score, he will play next year. Who cares who starts.

do not think so
I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am. Just a gut feeling. I think being a scholarship player is a point of pride. Buddy's only other high major offer* was Few at Gonzaga, a certified Friend of JAB, so that Buddy's only offer wasn't SU. There are spots open for 2018 and most chatter is that SU is done with 2018 recruits.

* not saying that Buddy can't play at SU/D1, but just that every coach knew exactly where he would be playing so offering him wasn't a thing.

Edited to add: Waters has consistently stated that Buddy won't count as a scholarship, but I dunno. LIke I said, just a gut feeling and frankly, I can't remember the last time SU had 13 scholarship players - so 14 is just crazy talk and I don't think it matters.

Last edited:
Admittedly I only read the 1st page of this thread...but my 2 cents is of course Howard starts next year. I believe we can also bank on a front line (if healthy) of Bazley, Brissett and Sidibe. The other starter will come from Carey, Hughes or...Battle. Sure he might leave but he's not going to FN Europe! If he wants to make some coin for a couple years in the G-League so be it. My initial thought is Hughes because he's older, more experienced and has been in the system for a year (which all basically mean the same thing). Carey will make an excellent 3rd guard. We'll see how his ball handling ranks. Carey, Moyer, Chukwu and either Buddy or HWash as the 4th G (hopefully Buddy as a Rautins type shooter). One ray of light to help counter the lack of a pure PG is the fact that Bazley is a tremendous, and willing, passer.

I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am. Just a gut feeling. I think being a scholarship player is a point of pride. Buddy's only other high major offer* was Few at Gonzaga, a certified Friend of JAB, so that Buddy's only offer wasn't SU. There are spots open for 2018 and most chatter is that SU is done with 2018 recruits.

* not saying that Buddy can't play at SU/D1, but just that every coach knew exactly where he would be playing so offering him wasn't a thing.

Edited to add: Waters has consistently stated that Buddy won't count as a scholarship, but I dunno. LIke I said, just a gut feeling and frankly, I can't remember the last time SU had 13 scholarship players - so 14 is just crazy talk and I don't think it matters.

you might be correct, i was going off Waters too, the one kid is a preferred walk-on, i guess that means if they have 13 scholarships he does not receive 1

He doesn't need to be an elite athlete. He needs to distribute the ball and score when he can. Unfortunately, with this roster, he is being asked to do things he can't. You are being way too critical. Sherman would struggle with this front court.
I don't think Sherm would have struggled (edit: as much) with this front line because SU ran an offense back then. JBs teams of the past were much more dynamic than they have been the past 4-5 seasons. To pre-emptively counter those who will say we've always had a lot more offensive talent, I say poppycock. We have had a few really offensively challenged teams in the past that were on a par with this one but were more prolific because we ran a half court offense and we got out and ran a little. I think the zone defense just dominates the practices to the detriment of offense and fast break work. I could be wrong, however.

Last edited: