Next year’s roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s roster

How funny would it be if we don't use all our scholarships after complaining for the last few years about how lack of scholarships has put us in this hole?
Hence I am bringing it up now.
We have 1 scholarship for next year now.
We recruited Roberts and he chose Washington.
So we still have a scholarship.
We can thank Griff for Bazley so I hope the guy can find another.

I saw clips of him at LBJ skills academy and saw Lamar Odom.
Odom is basically a level below Durant but a really solid player who was long and tall but not a post player.
That is how I see Bazley. He has handle to drive and can score but his height makes him a forward. Like Odom he can pass as well.

Yeah, I can buy that. Interesting to see how he will be used and deployed. Francis had some interesting and valid thoughts on his last pod about the guys coming in next season as well as the team regarding sharing the ball/volume.

He started the first half of his frosh year and then was benched for James Thues.

yes, true. The original question was about starting a player one year but not the next, so I thought that you were saying that Warrick was benched the following season after a season of starting.

Bazely from what I have read and seen more and more seems like a perimeter guy trying to play like Durant or like a DerMarr Johnson (actually was a 6’9 SG). I think CuseinCincy saw him live recently and said we shouldn’t be expecting a Derrick Coleman type of player who I have seen comparisons to, even from our coach.
I believe Bazely was the 3rd leading rebounder on the Nike EYBL circuit. He boards.

To confirm, you mean like 2008 Lamar Odom and not 2017 Lamar Odom, right?
No doubt.
Tall, skilled big with driving, passing ability and can finish at the rim.
His perimeter shooting looked fine like Odom.
I just think that is the type of player we are looking at.
Odom was really good in the NBA and better than that in college.

We don’t want to put the transcendent talent label on this kid.
He is just really really good and is the best recruit we have gotten since Green and have had him 3 top 6 NBA picks since then.

How funny would it be if we don't use all our scholarships after complaining for the last few years about how lack of scholarships has put us in this hole?
I could see JB not using all of the scholarships. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're recruiting another player for next year.

I think we would be pressing more this year had the 2nd center not gut hurt and the transfer quit. We finally have a roster type of guys and a1/2 shot blocking centers and it all falls apart. next year is set up to be more like UL with the press if JB wants too.

Buddy gets a scholarship.

Why would they do that? There is literally no reason to do so. We'd be better off giving that out to a walk-on to repay them for being the water boys for our scholly athletes. And facing the abuse they must go through during practices.

I could see JB not using all of the scholarships. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're recruiting another player for next year.
If Battle goes and I expect he will have 2 open scholarships. If we don’t recruit another player or 2 then patience runs thin. JB recommitted last summer he worked his butt off for Tucker and I give him credit for that. He needs to do the same this year if we have 2 scholarships hell even with one he should.

I love these threads. Repeats of threads past with different names but similar results. I remember so many debates about pressing when we had three solid guards (didn't do it). Guys not starting despite being better (Dion).

Keep on keepin' on fellas.

Why would they do that? There is literally no reason to do so. We'd be better off giving that out to a walk-on to repay them for being the water boys for our scholly athletes. And facing the abuse they must go through during practices.
I don't know. From I've read, SU is done recruiting for 2018. They have an extra scholarship already + another when Battle declares. I just know that Boeheim does things and from what I understand (and I may be wrong here) he hasn't confirmed that Buddy isn't using a schollie.

Buddy gets a scholarship.
As the son of a university employee we can get around using one on him.
Buddy is our 13th scholarship player so if we use the 12 we can next year we will have a full roster.

I don't know. From I've read, SU is done recruiting for 2018. They have an extra scholarship already + another when Battle declares. I just know that Boeheim does things and from what I understand (and I may be wrong here) he hasn't confirmed that Buddy isn't using a schollie.

Buddy is the son of a University employee. His tuition is covered already.

Syracuse basketball commit Buddy Boeheim is more than walk-on son of a coach

Giving the scholarship to Buddy would be a proverbial slap in the face to other kids on the team.

you dont press because you have guards, you press because you have the right combination of forwards/centers. malek/Moyer have no skill on O but have solid skills in pressing and helter skelter style plays. JB has shown he loves the press and we did it ton back in the day..

I love these threads. Repeats of threads past with different names but similar results. I remember so many debates about pressing when we had three solid guards (didn't do it). Guys not starting despite being better (Dion).

Keep on keepin' on fellas.
Dion as the 6th man was fine.
We had 2 good guards starting and Dion was the microwave off the bench.
That team didn’t have anyone playing 30mpg because we had good players.
If we had anyone of Scoop, Triche, Waiters now they would be playing 38+ plus.

Cooney played more mpg than those 3.
Give me any of those 3 guards over any post 2013 guard except Ennis or Gbinije.

If Battle goes and I expect he will have 2 open scholarships. If we don’t recruit another player or 2 then patience runs thin. JB recommitted last summer he worked his butt off for Tucker and I give him credit for that. He needs to do the same this year if we have 2 scholarships hell even with one he should.

Agreed. He uses one on a big [possibly a euro], Buddy gets the other one.

Dion as the 6th man was fine.
We had 2 good guards starting and Dion was the microwave off the bench.
That team didn’t have anyone playing 30mpg because we had good players.
If we had anyone of Scoop, Triche, Waiters now they would be playing 38+ plus.

Cooney played more mpg than those 3.
Give any of those 3 guards over any post 2013 guard except Ennis or Gbinije.

It was just an example I was using to show how these threads are echos of threads past. Please don't take it so literally.

It was just an example I was using to show how these threads are echos of threads past. Please don't take it so literally.
I didn’t take offense I was just making the point while typing our downfall has coincided with the downfall of our backcourt.
Thus we should be recruiting talented guards galore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom