Next year. Just need a big | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year. Just need a big

I'm going to get skewered but we may need OB to go. If Quincy is here (is that for sure going to happen), and he is legit I think we have too many forwards and not enough minutes. I don't see us going to war next yea with Marek playing only the 5. He is too valuable on the floor doing other stuff to get in foul trouble every game.

Remember pretty vividly last year that after it became certain Battle & OB were returning it became the consensus THIS was going to be a great year. Seems like the discussion now is as it was last year- oodles of talent leavened with returning upper classmen for a change- though the mix of names have changed a bit. I have seen so much slippage in the program over the past five or so years I have become a bit of a skeptic. We know the defense is going to remain the coach's obsession . . . but the real problem is that until we start instituting a multifaceted dynamic offense we will continue to struggle. You can have a terrific collection of talent on the floor, but until the coach dedicates himself to an offensive scheme like he does on defense, you can count on the talent not spontaneously organizing itself into an effective force. Just tired of watching the same old flat and insipid pass-around-the-perimeter-offense. How long has it been since our center has been part of the offense? It is like every trip up the on O is in effect, 4 on 5. Come on now, we are better than that;)

D02rXkwXcAAK646

He took part in Sr. Night.
He isn’t coming back.
Ahh I'm not so sure he won't be back. I'm sure JB would take him back if he wants to come back. And according to the article the other day on Syracuse.com he hasn't made up his mind.

Ahh I'm not so sure he won't be back. I'm sure JB would take him back if he wants to come back. And according to the article the other day on Syracuse.com he hasn't made up his mind.
Listen if we got no other recruits bringing him back makes more sense than being short bodied again.
I just wish we had a C recruit with some offensive skill.

I’m pretty confident in JC.

Less confident in OB.

Not quite sure we are done for next year either.

Carey
Buddy
Hughes
Marek
TBD (Sidibe)

Bench

Girard
Guerrier
TBD (Sidibe)

No need to count higher than 8.

I think Oshae might leave just because he can get paid in Europe.

Really need Carey to return.

A lineup with Girard and Buddy up top would make the Gillon / White team look like the 89 Pistons defense.

Remember pretty vividly last year that after it became certain Battle & OB were returning it became the consensus THIS was going to be a great year. Seems like the discussion now is as it was last year- oodles of talent leavened with returning upper classmen for a change- though the mix of names have changed a bit. I have seen so much slippage in the program over the past five or so years I have become a bit of a skeptic. We know the defense is going to remain the coach's obsession . . . but the real problem is that until we start instituting a multifaceted dynamic offense we will continue to struggle. You can have a terrific collection of talent on the floor, but until the coach dedicates himself to an offensive scheme like he does on defense, you can count on the talent not spontaneously organizing itself into an effective force. Just tired of watching the same old flat and insipid pass-around-the-perimeter-offense. How long has it been since our center has been part of the offense? It is like every trip up the on O is in effect, 4 on 5. Come on now, we are better than that;)
This team has underachieved during the regular season.

I hope it's Washington.

Please, just go conservative for once instead of this moon-shot conversion business. If Carey's up for it, fine, but I'd just as soon let him play to his strengths, either as the starting 2 or as an instant-offense sixth man.

The big hole over the last couple of season, IMO, is steady, consistent floor general play (aside from any sort of offensive contribution from the 5). For this reason, I want to see Howard Washington log a ton of minutes at PG. We don't need flash if we have steady and efficient. We've had none of this since MCW.

Carey
Buddy
Hughes
Marek
TBD (Sidibe)

Bench

Girard
Guerrier
TBD (Sidibe)

A lineup with Girard and Buddy up top would make the Gillon / White team look like the 89 Pistons defense.
Not seeing any minutes for Wash? Think he'll transfer?

The big hole over the last couple of season, IMO, is steady, consistent floor general play (aside from any sort of offensive contribution from the 5). For this reason, I want to see Howard Washington log a ton of minutes at PG. We don't need flash if we have steady and efficient. We've had none of this since MCW.
I am hoping for the Scoop jump from 08 to 10 for HW when he sat out 09 with the injury RS.
We saw in MSG early 2010 how much improvement Scoop had made as a PG.
Hopefully Howard Washington has been healthy enough to workout and develop as his health battle was scary.

Carey
Buddy
Hughes
Marek
TBD (Sidibe)

Bench

Girard
Guerrier
TBD (Sidibe)

Yikes at that big rotation...mid majorish putting it nicely but hopefully add another piece

I am hoping for the Scoop jump from 08 to 10 for HW when he sat out 09 with the injury RS.
We saw in MSG early 2010 how much improvement Scoop had made as a PG.
Hopefully Howard Washington has been healthy enough to workout and develop as his health battle was scary.
Amen to all of this. Exactly my thought, as well. I think the entire position has a lot of raw talent, but my hope is Howard is in great shape and the most game-ready. I'd like to see him have the legitimate shot to LOSE the job (which would be a great problem to have). I was excited about his steady abilities coming in as he's a smart player. With 2 years to soak is all in, I can't imagine he's not going to be an ever BETTER game manager for this team.

I'm still in shock a bit over the stroke story given every headline was just about his knee health for so many months.

Yikes at that big rotation...mid majorish putting it nicely but hopefully add another piece
That rotation puts insane pressure on Carey and Guerrier.
We know Hughes is a hot or cold player who can win us individual games but he is a catch and shoot guy this year.
Hopefully he develops some drivability.
I really don’t know who in that rotation is capable of being all-ACC next year even 3rd team.

That rotation puts insane pressure on Carey and Guerrier.
We know Hughes is a hot or cold player who can win us individual games but he is a catch and shoot guy this year.
Hopefully he develops some drivability.
I really don’t know who in that rotation is capable of being all-ACC next year even 3rd team.

If I had to place bets on who would challenge for some sort of postseason recognition: Hughes assuming some sort of improvement with his handle/conditioning/drive and Guerrier as an ACC-ready frosh with a pretty polished offensive toolkit.

MD might ultimately be the best all around player, but swiss army knives rarely get accolades.

Wow...people thinking oshae is leaving and not even including Goodine or Washington in any kind of rotation. I get it, only so many guys will see the court but man there is some major sleepin on Brycen Goodine. If people think Carey is penciled in as the starter then they better believe Goodine is going to push Carey for playing time...that's all I'm sayin!

I won't speculate on what type of team we are going to be next year until there's some sample size of games played, etc.. But one thing is clear, we will have an immense amount of inexperience and ? at the most critical position in the game, PG. That being the case, it's anyone's guess where were finish next year in the league, etc.

Take Tyus Battle off this team and add Guerrier and Goodine. It's not going to be pretty.

I read that article as him doing everything he could to avoid saying outright that I am not coming back.

Wow...people thinking oshae is leaving and not even including Goodine or Washington in any kind of rotation. I get it, only so many guys will see the court but man there is some major sleepin on Brycen Goodine. If people think Carey is penciled in as the starter then they better believe Goodine is going to push Carey for playing time...that's all I'm sayin!
Ahhhh I forgot about Goodine. I knew I was missing someone.

He’ll be in the rotation.

Seems like we’re going to have 3-4 good players stapled to the bench. A good problem to have so long as it doesn’t hurt chemistry

Next year with the exception of the center position JB is going to have a lot of tools in the box, with many guys being able to play multiple positions.

At point: Jalen, Washington, JG3, Goodine.
2: Hughes, Buddy, Goodine, Guerrier,, JG3
3: Hughes, Guerrier, Buddy, Bras, OB,
4: OB, Bras, Marek, J
5: Sid, Marek, J

My starting 5 next March
PG: Goodine
2: Hughes
3: Gurrier
4: OB
5: Marek

JG3 is the first pg off the bench.
Buddy the first 2
Bras at the 4
Hughes Guerrier OB cover the 3
SId J Marek and possibly the kid at the 5
Very deep team with more options than a Greek diner.
I'm not sure how it shakes out. If we have a good 5 option I think the forward rotation would be Marek/Guerrier/OB but if we end up with mostly Marek at the 5 then I think we have a forward rotation of Guerrier/OB/Eli. The guards would be Jalen/Goodine/Buddy with JG3 in the 4th guard limited minutes role. The guestion is does Eli move up top. I'm would prefer to keep him down low but I think we can't have Marek in the middle for long stretches realistically.

(First off bench)
Carey (Washington)
Goodine (buddy)
Hughes (Quincy)
Brissett (Braswell)
Dolejaz (sid or Braswell)
JG3 could be the odd man out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski