Next year major new contributors | Syracusefan.com

Next year major new contributors

kcsu

Living Legend
Looking at the roster and incoming recruits the following players should all have a chance at significant contributions.
We all know our returning players including those that have been injured such as Cordy, Black, our best OL and Pickard will contribute and of course guys like Shy and the rs LBs. But the
guys i expect to see a big jump as well as some others are as follows.

Devon Clarke: Has been in the systems and has the size.
Coley and Mulf: same as above
Stritzinger: Great Athlete. Does he get moved to the slot or D?
Harper: 300 plus pounds will contribute
RT Bishop: Of all the WR this guy just looks the part
Mike Clark: Has been on the 2 deep all year. 6.8 and agile.
Morton: If he comes back at 250 does he make the 2 deep
Holy Cross transfer: forgot his name seems like a player.
Hackett: Do we go more with a 2 TE look in the red zone?

Incoming frosh.

Sampson: Jan enrollment does he start
Jonas: Jan enrollment offered by all the powers. Film is off the chart.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

When you look at the above group which im sure i missed others and figure that Dino will add some solid Jucos and transfers it is obvious that this team is going to improve in talent and depth. The addition we need is for someone to step up as a true threat at WR as im not sold on Custis or Butler ever becoming a true number 1.
Outside of that i believe that each position including LB will improve.
The future is looking solid.

Go Cuse!

High hopes for this young man.

IMG_20170901_212655748_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

KCSU, how does the Holy Cross transfer "seem like a player"? I don't understand that analysis.

Always good to speculate about Rs-F and incoming true frosh, keeping in mind that Babers did not play many true frosh this season.

The RsF who stepped up this season -- Heckle & Sevrais in the OL, and Foster on D.
True frosh this season -- Jonathan at DE as the #5 guy in the rotation; Nykeim Johnson lightly used as an inside receiver (slot); Elmore as an H-back and on specials had the most snaps of the true frosh and made the most impact. Pierre played 2 or 3 series, fumbled, hasn't played in recent games. Sherrod Johnson is on the 2 deep, but he is behind Ishmael and hasn't had much chance. 2 or 3 others on specials?

Next season, where are the opportunities? Roberts should fill the only open position on the OL. Maybe Hughes competes with Ruff for #4 in that rotation? The currently starting DBs return, though Cordy takes one safety spot from that returning group, Clarke and Jones are the top spares, and Hudson/Dowels are in the 2 deep. The RB duo returns, plus Pierre who has a chance to emerge.

So, you have the obvious open positions at LB & WR where one the RsF might surprise, as well as some opportunity to join a deep rotation at DB.

Jonas tore up his knee and will probably redshirt next year

Incoming frosh.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

When you look at the above group which im sure i missed others and figure that Dino will add some solid Jucos and transfers it is obvious that this team is going to improve in talent and depth. The addition we need is for someone to step up as a true threat at WR as im not sold on Custis or Butler ever becoming a true number 1.

Go Cuse!

Always good to speculate about Rs- and incoming true frosh, keeping in mind that Babers did not play many true frosh this season.

The RsF who stepped up this season -- Heckle & Sevrais in the OL, and Foster on D.
True frosh this season -- Jonathan at DE as the #5 guy in the rotation; Nykeim Johnson lightly used as an inside receiver (slot); Elmore as an H-back and on specials had the most snaps of the true frosh and made the most impact. Pierre played 2 or 3 series, fumbled, hasn't played in recent games. Sherrod Johnson is on the 2 deep, but he is behind Ishmael and hasn't had much chance. 2 or 3 others on specials?

Next season, where are the opportunities? Roberts should fill the only open position on the OL. Maybe Hughes competes with Ruff for #4 in that rotation? The currently starting DBs return, though Cordy takes one safety spot from that returning group, Clarke and Jones are the top spares, and Hudson/Dowels are in the 2 deep. The RB duo returns, plus Pierre who has a chance to emerge.

So, you have the obvious open positions at LB & WR where one the RsF might surprise, as well as some opportunity to join a deep rotation at DB.
Curious how ready clarke is.

I dont know how to tell what the WR who step up can do since we throw to them 5-10 a game now.. I think Johnson is quicker/faster than Phillips so he might make more plays in space, but can he catch enough?

I dont know how to tell what the WR who step up can do since we throw to them 5-10 a game now.. I think Johnson is quicker/faster than Phillips so he might make more plays in space, but can he catch enough?
\
Erv's hands weren't awesome early in his career - but they surely are now.
No reason to believe Nykeim can't improve in a similar manner, and I think he's already further along physically than Frosh Erv was.

Speaking of Erv - wouldn't shock me in the least if Moe Neal follows his career path, and gets moved to Slot WR next year. He's most effective in space, so why make him fight thru all the Big Uglies before he actually gets into space?
And with Jawhar coming in next year, he could be even more explosive as the "lightning" RB for us than Moe is - he's like Moe with all the cheat codes turned on; blazing fast and leaves the field littered with lost jocks and broken ankles.

RTB is already built now as a Frosh, like Ish is currently - dude is a stud, looks more like a tall RB than a WR.

What we'll lack in experience, we'll hopefully make up for with speed and athleticism, and volume - there are going to be just a whole lot more fast/athletic dudes for next year, than we have this year. Some of them will work out well for us.

Stop worrying about WR. This staff gets them right and maximizes talent.
So, they have that history with inherited talent, and AET. Wondering what you think of the guys they have brought in - Riley, Butler, Nykeim Johnson, Sherod Johnson?

Or do you assume new names will be added, through juco or otherwise?

So, they have that history with inherited talent, and AET. Wondering what you think of the guys they have brought in - Riley, Butler, Nykeim Johnson, Sherod Johnson?

Or do you assume new names will be added, through juco or otherwise?

I think they Riley, Butler, and N. Johnson all look the part and have a chance to be good. So far they are all inconsistent but have shown a flash or two. I don't have much of an opinion on Sherod Johnson except that he seems undersized for the outside spot and good enough to crack the two-deep anyways.

I'm liked RTB and Cam Jordan coming out of HS. But am really high on Hendrix, Queely, and Cooper Lutz this class.

I think we'll know if they are not content with the young guys by any JUCO/grad transfers offered in the offseason.

Looking at the roster and incoming recruits the following players should all have a chance at significant contributions.
We all know our returning players including those that have been injured such as Cordy, Black, our best OL and Pickard will contribute and of course guys like Shy and the rs LBs. But the

Incoming frosh.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

Go Cuse!

Incoming frosh.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

Go Cuse!

Incoming frosh.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

Go Cuse!

Watch out for DeVito. The kid is coming for the starting spot whether Dungey comes back or not. I have a funny feeling about this young man. If Dungey returns, Babers and staff will have some decision making to do.

Clarke is going to be a beast for our secondary. He keeps his crap together, he will be starting along side Cordy

I can’t wait to see Hackett and Ravion out there together. Going to be a huge boost to the running game

I am going out on a limb here, but I think Sampson and White come in and start on the OLine. We will finally have a little depth at this position.

We will have an EXCITING young group of LBs. the talent level is through the roof. Don’t sleep on Nadarius Fagan.

The RBs will be a blast to watch. I think it is very possible Jordan redshirts unless he comes in and blows the staff away. This young man is very exciting.

Ooooh the WRs! Take your pick on this one!!! Again, a very talented group, but will be young. I see Moe Neal working in the off-season heavy as Slot WR. This kid has ALL the tools to be as exciting, if not more, than Erv. That’s really saying something cause Erv is the man! We will be loaded here.

Our DLine will be stellar. Not sure Black will be back this year. Alton Robinson has only been here, what, 3-4 months?! This kid is a beast and will be great next year with a full off season in the Cuse. Would really like to see Ruff back on the outside. He is a bull. We all know the interior. Going to be good again, especially with the addition of Harp.

DBs will gain some serious depth with the addition of Ifeatu and others. This kid is going to be a ROCKSTAR.

As we look forward to the last 2 games, let’s hope and pray we can get them both. A BC win is looking better with Brown out. Let’s hope we play a lot of contain/spy to keep Kackson in check. It’s fun to look forward to next year, but we still have 2, possibly 3 left. #OrangeNation !!!!

Last edited:
\
Erv's hands weren't awesome early in his career - but they surely are now.
No reason to believe Nykeim can't improve in a similar manner, and I think he's already further along physically than Frosh Erv was.

Speaking of Erv - wouldn't shock me in the least if Moe Neal follows his career path, and gets moved to Slot WR next year. He's most effective in space, so why make him fight thru all the Big Uglies before he actually gets into space?
And with Jawhar coming in next year, he could be even more explosive as the "lightning" RB for us than Moe is - he's like Moe with all the cheat codes turned on; blazing fast and leaves the field littered with lost jocks and broken ankles.

RTB is already built now as a Frosh, like Ish is currently - dude is a stud, looks more like a tall RB than a WR.

What we'll lack in experience, we'll hopefully make up for with speed and athleticism, and volume - there are going to be just a whole lot more fast/athletic dudes for next year, than we have this year. Some of them will work out well for us.
When Coach Acosta was here, he tried SO hard to convince the idiot OC at the time to give Erv to him full time. He was denied. Imagine if Erv had that extra time at slot?? Good lord.

Incoming frosh.

Others.
Both RBs
Hendrix at WR.

Go Cuse!

A lot of people are sleeping on Markenzy Pierre. I think once he learns the protections, he will take a big step forward. And that also has to be kept in mind for true freshman RB contributions.

Nykeim Johnson will be a beast. Whomever plays WR with him will put up big numbers.

I still don't see Sampson starting as a true frosh, but if anyone is gonna do it, it's him with the C position being available and him enrolling early.

Don't sleep on Melifonwu.

Custis and Butler will be the outside WR's game 1. May change into the season, but would be shocked to see either of them jumped.

Watch out for DeVito. The kid is coming for the starting spot whether Dungey comes back or not. I have a funny feeling about this young man. If Dungey returns, Babers and staff will have some decision making to do.

Clarke is going to be a beast for our secondary. He keeps his crap together, he will be starting along side Cordy

I can’t wait to see Hackett and Ravion out there together. Going to be a huge boost to the running game

I am going out on a limb here, but I think Sampson and White come in and start on the OLine. We will finally have a little depth at this position.

We will have an EXCITING young group of LBs. the talent level is through the roof. Don’t sleep on Nadarius Fagan.

The RBs will be a blast to watch. I think it is very possible Jordan redshirts unless he comes in and blows the staff away. This young man is very exciting.

Ooooh the WRs! Take your pick on this one!!! Again, a very talented group, but will be young. I see Moe Neal working in the off-season heavy as Slot WR. This kid has ALL the tools to be as exciting, if not more, than Erv. That’s really saying something cause Erv is the man! We will be loaded here.

Our DLine will be stellar. Not sure Black will be back this year. Alton Robinson has only been here, what, 3-4 months?! This kid is a beast and will be great next year with a full off season in the Cuse. Would really like to see Ruff back on the outside. He is a bull. We all know the interior. Going to be good again, especially with the addition of Harp.

DBs will gain some serious depth with the addition of Ifeatu and others. This kid is going to be a ROCKSTAR.

As we look forward to the last 2 games, let’s hope and pray we can get them both. A BC win is looking better with Brown out. Let’s hope we play a lot of contain/spy to keep Kackson in check. It’s fun to look forward to next year, but we still have 2, possibly 3 left. #OrangeNation !!!!
Where's Dungey going??

I think they Riley, Butler, and N. Johnson all look the part and have a chance to be good. So far they are all inconsistent but have shown a flash or two. I don't have much of an opinion on Sherod Johnson except that he seems undersized for the outside spot and good enough to crack the two-deep anyways.

I'm liked RTB and Cam Jordan coming out of HS. But am really high on Hendrix, Queely, and Cooper Lutz this class.

I think we'll know if they are not content with the young guys by any JUCO/grad transfers offered in the offseason.
Sorry, but this is a list of every name in the roster and the commit list -- and unfiltered optimism. We have seen a little of Riley (very small -- not much impact in his opportunities), and Butler (several drops in the first half of Wake, but the passes might have been low; he is versatile and throws a nice pass). Really haven't seen enough of the others to sort them out.

Sorry, but this is a list of every name in the roster and the commit list -- and unfiltered optimism. We have seen a little of Riley (very small -- not much impact in his opportunities), and Butler (several drops in the first half of Wake, but the passes might have been low; he is versatile and throws a nice pass). Really haven't seen enough of the others to sort them out.

Sorry. You asked for my assessment on those players. The shorter answer is this staff has earned my trust when it comes to WRs.

I don’t know *who* it will be. But we throw so much in practice and in games - the cream will rise to the top.

It’s cool if you got doubts. I feel the same way about the RBs. But until we don’t have a couple of guys with numbers like the last two, they get a pass.

Jonas tore up his knee and will probably redshirt next year
Although I tend to agree, ACL's & MCL's aren't what they used to be. Kids routinely get back after 6-8 months now.

Again, I think there's a full year of adjustment after clearance, but you never know I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom