Next year's frontcourt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's frontcourt

JB has stated many times that he prefers freshmen to play only one position. It's too complicated to try to learn two different positions in the zone. That's why he waited so long to move Rak to the center spot. If Noel comes, we will know very quickly where he plans on playing Coleman and Noel. We already know that Rak can play the 4 or 5. Look for Rak at the 4 and Coleman and Noel playing the five. If we played man to man than any combination is possible. Maybe JB shocks us next year with some man defense:rolleyes:.

I have real concerns about Rak at the 4 again, unless he comes in lighter next year. And I really don't think JB wants that. Much like Rick Jackson when AO was here, the twin towers on the front line doesn't always work out with the zone. There is far too much distance to cover to get out on the shooters and then back to rebound. Which is one of the reasons Rak got pulled so quickly before Fab pulled his disappearing act. It's a huge area that guys who have played center or man to man their entire young lives to try to cover. If this Nerlens kid comes in, I think JB's headache of next year is getting all of his centers time - much like he struggled getting all his guards floor time this year. If it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Rak get a redshirt (and hopefully a second meal card).

Hey I'm all for landing him, suppose I'm just not expecting a 20/10 avg. Hope I'm wrong FWIW. It's hard for me to compare a 240lb C with a 205lb C/F but I'm noone in particular. Oden was 18 in a 28 year olds body whereas NN is 17 and looks 17. If he comes in at 220-225, with low post moves then all bets are off.

We don't need (or EVER get) 20 points a game out of our centers. More like 10 pts, 8 rebounds and 3 or 4 blocks - if we get those numbers IN OUR SYSTEM, then we would be another Final Four contender.

I have real concerns about Rak at the 4 again, unless he comes in lighter next year. And I really don't think JB wants that. Much like Rick Jackson when AO was here, the twin towers on the front line doesn't always work out with the zone. There is far too much distance to cover to get out on the shooters and then back to rebound. Which is one of the reasons Rak got pulled so quickly before Fab pulled his disappearing act. It's a huge area that guys who have played center or man to man their entire young lives to try to cover. If this Nerlens kid comes in, I think JB's headache of next year is getting all of his centers time - much like he struggled getting all his guards floor time this year. If it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Rak get a redshirt (and hopefully a second meal card).

You're right. And that's why Noel could work better in the corner - he's lean and agile and covers ground quickly.

One thing that will be interesting about the Noel situation, if he decides to play here, is figuring out where he would play. It seems like most of the board believes that he will play the 4 next year, with the debate being DC2 vs Rak at the 5.

My issue with that is we would be taking a potentially Anthony Davis-like shot blocker and moving him farther away from the basket. The two things that seem to work best in the zone are big guards and a shot-blocker at the 5. So, if we do get Noel, I'd want him at the 5.

I'm sure that there are a million things that I am missing here, but that's jut my thoughts.
Think Wes Johnson as a weak-side shot blocker, multiply by 2, and you get the impact that Noel could have at the "4".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom