Nice being a protected seed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nice being a protected seed...

It's not about crying or making excuses. This could have easily been avoided. There is no good reason why anybody should have an advantage, particularly a low seed. Btw I think you are vastly underrating the crowd for Cal tonight.

exactly it will be no less then 80% cal. and there is a huge difference between 40 miles and 3 hours

come on ATL..
you're right that we should all admit we had a nice little advantage in 03 with Albanay, but at the same time I think you ought to admit that it's at least a little perplexing that a so-called protected 4 seed is playing where they are - against a 12 seed who is playing less than 50 miles from home.

come on ATL..
you're right that we should all admit we had a nice little advantage in 03 with Albanay, but at the same time I think you ought to admit that it's at least a little perplexing that a so-called protected 4 seed is playing where they are - against a 12 seed who is playing less than 50 miles from home.

didn't the committee or someone associated with the ncaa already admit it was a mistake?

and while we're at it i admit that we did have a nice home court advantage in 03. A lot of it is a testament to the fans though. It isn't nearly as convenient as the ones Michigan St, Kansas, and Cal have. The protected seed is the issue. If it was a higher seed then us, so be it.

come on ATL..

Sure, a little odd... yes.

But if it was another 12 seed from the midwest... UNLV prob wins.

I'm OK with playing @cal over a neutral UNLV game.

Im not going to worry about it and Im certainly not going to call the ESPN preview a joke. That's what set me off. I hate when Cuse fans are such hypocrites.

I can't make heads or tales of it either. How is Cal a twelve getting two home games? But at the same time who cares, we crashed and burned for a while down the stretch and all we have to do is beat Montana and Cal to get a game in DC against IU. Losing this game to Cal would probably be our worst loss of the season. Take care of our business and IU will be the team crying about it being unfair

Sure, a little odd... yes.

But if it was another 12 seed from the midwest... UNLV prob wins.

I'm OK with playing @cal over a neutral UNLV game.

Im not going to worry about it and Im certainly not going to call the ESPN preview a joke. That's what set me off. I hate when Cuse fans are such hypocrites.
why is that being a hypocrite?

I think it is a joke they mention it in the preview for our game but not the MSU game ... or Kansas ... or any other 'home' game

I think it is a joke they mention it in the preview for our game but not the MSU game ... or Kansas ... or any other 'home' game

i kind of see your point. although i dont think the KU preview is out yet.

But I am not sure why that's a big deal. They brought up the fact that the lower seed will have a lot of fans... and then said syracuse has had it in the past too. I would question their journalistic integrity if they didnt bring that point up if I was a Cal fan reading it.

I can't imagine Oregon fans in the building rooting for Cal but it's whatever. As you mentioned, bring our A game and the crowd is irrelevant.

But we will need our A game, nothing less, or this game will go down to the last possession.

i'm fine with playing california 45 minutes from their campus in the tourney. what i DON'T want to hear is even one douchemouth opening their stinking pieholes about syracuse never traveling next season.
NOT EVEN one F#@KING REFERENCE!!!!!

Protection is only for first round contests, and only for top 4 seeds. If Cal was a 13 seed, we would not be playin Cal in first round.

Committee tries to keep teams as close to ome as possible yet follow bracket rules.

Well, I'm not sure why they would mention it in the MSU or Kansas previews. Those guys are being actually protected. The fact that they are playing near home is kind of expected. Of course it gets mentioned in our preview, since we are the protected seed playing in unusual location circumstances. And because we are playing a virtual road game, they would probably want to reference times when the higher seed is basically the visitor, and obviously we've been in that situation.

I don't think it's that big a deal. It seems like a pretty logical continuation of the original thought of "higher seed playing close to the lower seed's location."

Well, I'm not sure why they would mention it in the MSU or Kansas previews. Those guys are being actually protected. The fact that they are playing near home is kind of expected. Of course it gets mentioned in our preview, since we are the protected seed playing in unusual location circumstances. And because we are playing a virtual road game, they would probably want to reference times when the higher seed is basically the visitor, and obviously we've been in that situation.

I don't think it's that big a deal. It seems like a pretty logical continuation of the original thought of "higher seed playing close to the lower seed's location."
but we were protected then too ... s0?

but we were protected then too ... s0?
We were, but Oklahoma was still the higher seed. If, say, Kansas were to end up playing Florida in Miami I'm sure it would come up as well.

Like when we played Vermont in Worcester, MA?

Eh, Worcester isn't really a good example. Burlington isn't exactly right next door to Worcester. I haven't looked at driving distances, but having grown up in northern Vermont, it took three or four hours to get to the Boston area, for example. And having driven from the Boston area to Syracuse, it's not much of a difference.

Not sure what threshold committee uses (maybe its just judgment call), but an out of state school with a limited fan base, and 235 miles away. will not be protected against.

Syracuse playing Cal today is fully within guidelines of NCAA. Fair from that perspective.

Of course one could make a valid claim that a rule needs to be adjusted for reasons of fairness.

Syracuse playing Cal today is fully within guidelines of NCAA. Fair from that perspective.

Of course one could make a valid claim that a rule needs to be adjusted for reasons of fairness.
The real point is that the committee did a lousy job seeding this year. Picking the right 68 teams was no big deal--see Lunardi getting them all.

The real point is that the committee did a lousy job seeding this year. Picking the right 68 teams was no big deal--see Lunardi getting them all.

Cal definetely deserved a 12 seed. Could have easily been a play in team.

Overall, committee seeded teams fairly on top 12 lines with 3 exceptions IMO.

Marquette as a 3
Pitt as 8
Ore Ducks as 12.

13/14 lines were a little off as well.

Cal definetely deserved a 12 seed. Could have easily been a play in team.

Overall, committee seeded teams fairly on top 12 lines with 3 exceptions IMO.

Marquette as a 3
Pitt as 8
Ore Ducks as 12.

13/14 lines were a little off as well.
Well, the committee had Cal as an 11 per later reports. Of course, they also had Oregon as 11, and that was probably 4 lines off.

This is a whiny and confusing thread. It's Cal, they haven't been good since Tony Gonzalez tried to be like Donovan.

Are Berkeley fans that intimidating...

If we lose it will probably not be due to their fans.

Protection is only for first round contests, and only for top 4 seeds. If Cal was a 13 seed, we would not be playin Cal in first round.

Committee tries to keep teams as close to ome as possible yet follow bracket rules.

That makes zero phuking sense.

This is a whiny and confusing thread. It's Cal, they haven't been good since Tony Gonzalez tried to be like Donovan.

Are Berkeley fans that intimidating...

If we lose it will probably not be due to their fans.

Really not a complicated issue. And this has zero to do with SU. Why does anybody, but particularly low seeds, need to play in arenas 50 miles from their campus? Never gotten a good answer to that question but I guess that's because there isn't one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom