Nick Saban Retiring | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Saban Retiring

I love the stats they are posting that he had a record amount of players drafted first round since 2009. I know he is a good coach, but I think this stat shows he was playing with a stacked deck. He also had some of number one rated recruiting classes in the last 20 years. He wasn't squandering his talent and should have consistently had a top 5 team.
I think you're heavily underestimating the value he brought to the program. He didnt get those top classes by accident, that took WORK. He also didn't coach 3 separate teams to the upper echelon of college football by accident, again that took football know-how well beyond the capabilities of most coaches. I would also point to his QBs being largely garbage in the NFL, while not a great result and showing he probably wasn't a QB builder, he did consistently build and scheme around those guys to make them very successful.

So Alabama players have 30 days to portal. Wouldn't expect any players to leave, it's Alabama.
Saban leaving might free-up some HS players who he recruited in the current cycle. But I would think that current players would want to wait to see where they stand with the new coaching staff (and how their skill-set fits with the new offense or defense schemes).

As others have noted, there will be another round of transfers after spring ball.

Saban leaving might free-up some HS players who he recruited in the current cycle. But I would think that current players would want to wait to see where they stand with the new coaching staff (and how their skill-set fits with the new offense or defense schemes).

As others have noted, there will be another round of transfers after spring ball.

they already lost the #9 player in the country. Apparently, the kid found out on Twitter. No one from Alabama reached out to him.

I think its Kiffin or Sark.
FWIW, Thamel thinks they both will not be serious candidates. He doesn't think Sark will leave Texas and thinks Burns won't hire Kiffen since he was fired from Alabama.

Per Athlon Sports/college Gamdeday Podcast: "I don't think Steve Sarkisian would leave Texas, so that's why I did not put him on the list," Thamel said. "I have a hard time seeing Greg Burns hire Lane Kiffin considering Lane was fired from Alabama before he left and Greg Burns is a very buttoned-up man. That would be a little bit of oil and water, so those are two names that have been thrown out that I did not use."

Ha!
Yep, didn’t think he was leaving. Makes great $, great support in a great community to raise a young family. Oregon to me is top 5 place to coach considering the new landscape.

A good coach? Guys like Luke Fickell are good coaches. Come on. Saban is best coach in college football probably ever. What was Alabama doing on the recruiting front prior to Saban getting there? He's won 7 national championships. Crazy talk here

he isn't the first, won't be the last coach who retired in their early 70's. He has had enough. Sure the portal and NIL stuff are not well liked by many of the older coaches but Saban seems to have adjusted to it. He was in the final four this year.

Nobody said he has won without great talent but where are the 7-5 seasons that show he can't adjust etc. Just think he's had enough, it's not easy NEVER letting your foot off the gas pedal for 16-17 years straight it has a price and takes it's toll and Saban is only going to do things one way and won't run out there like a corpse well after his prime or mail it in, like many older legendary coaches have
And it's important to remember that Bama was struggling (for their standards) before Saban arrived. In the decade before he got there (1997-2006) they had four losing seasons. It took him literally two years to turn them into a national title contender literally every year for 15 years.

Same with LSU. They had losing seasons in eight out of the 11 seasons before Saban arrived. He arrives, they finish #7 in Year 2 and win a title in Year 4.

The guy is a football coaching genius in every sense of the word.

To me Mike Norvell is an absolute no brainer for this job. I live in Missouri and people wanted Eli fired before this season. If it was me Norvell would be the guy.

To me Mike Norvell is an absolute no brainer for this job. I live in Missouri and people wanted Eli fired before this season. If it was me Norvell would be the guy.
If Norvell does take the Bama job, how much does the lawsuit affect the decision of a new coach to go there?

I think they’ll end up hiring Drinkwitz.

Supposedly Washington is trying to counter. It will be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom