Nick Saban Retiring | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Saban Retiring

FWIW, If Vrabel went back to college, it'd only be Ohio State and Taylor Lewan said yesterday, no chance.

The thing about Lanning is he really doesnt have any ties to Bama (other than the one year as a GA)

At Oregon he can go 11-2 or whatever and everyone is happy. If he goes to Bama and doesnt make the playoffs 2 years in a row, he's toast. Not sure it's worth it.

Vrabel is getting any NFL job opening he wants he isn't coming back to college.

I don‘t think Lanning is going anywhere, he didn’t even blink when the A&M job opened up and I think he‘s building some thing really nice at U of O and he doesn’t have to deal with the level of ridiculousness there that he would at Bama

Both
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Only Urban Meyer and Dabo have coached teams at the national championship level, and of those two only Meyer is currently unattached. Remember Saban like Meyer had a failed pro stint, and as far as character stuff Auburn wasn’t put off by Freeze’s. So I think they go all in for Meyer.
Dark horse Stoops from Kentucky.

Saban to Gameday, and Corso retires?
Corso already said he is returning next season. Love Corso. I hope he stays on even if he just does game picks at the end of the show. Gameday wouldn’t be the same without Coach Corso. Absolute legend. There was recently a good Athletic article on the relationship Corso and Herbstreit has and how Kirk has subtlety helped him out since his stroke, especially recently.

I’d bet big $ Harbaugh is in the NFL next year.

Kirby Smart would be in a no-win situation to go to Bama but I bet he gets a killer deal to stay by Saban retiring.

I’d be fascinated to see Dabo at Bama. I think he’s one of the few with something to prove that could stomach it. As a grad, he’d have a little (more than none) slack than others.

NIL is accelerating a total changing of the guard.

God I hope not. While he's a savant at his craft, he has zero charisma as a public speaker. Similar to Tiger Woods.
I think Tiger has a pretty good sense of humor at times actually.

I’d bet big $ Harbaugh is in the NFL next year.

Kirby Smart would be in a no-win situation to go to Bama but I bet he gets a killer deal to stay by Saban retiring.

I’d be fascinated to see Dabo at Bama. I think he’s one of the few with something to prove that could stomach it. As a grad, he’d have a little (more than none) slack than others.

NIL is accelerating a total changing of the guard.
I think Dabo might be an interesting option, I just wonder if he has thick enough skin to handle the pressure there.

This is really mind blowing to think Saban is retiring. If i’m an Alabama fan i’m a little nervous. Even at a place with unlimited resources it’s always hard when a legend moves on and you have to make a change. Just look at the string of bad hires they had before they eventually got Saban.

I think there are 2 can’t miss candidates and I think there’s only a slim chance that 1 takes the job. Dan Lanning and Kirby Smart. If either takes the job it would be Lanning, but really why would he when he has all the resources and ability to recruit at the same level at Oregon. Plus i’m sure there is a huge buyout (Not that it matters really?). Smart already has started his own legacy at Georgia that will be humming for at least the next decade +.

Next candidates would be Sarkisian, and Lane Kiffin. Both were obviously reclamation projects who have gone on to be highly successful thanks to their time under Saban. I can see them wanting Sarkisian a little bit more, but does he leave Texas now that he has them humming with similar resources. I could see Kiffin taking the job, but i think that would be more of a gamble for Bama and would be far from a sure thing.

If it were 5 years ago everyone would have said Dabo Sweeney, but he and Saban have similar positions on the portal and NIL so he wouldn’t be considered imo.

Now we’re basically in gamble mode. Outside of the ones listed above, and the ones who won’t take the job, like Hardbaugh and Day, leaves guys like James Franklin, and Mike Norvell? For me getting either one out of our way would be great for Syracuse, but as HC at Alabama it could be hit or miss.

If we’re thinking outside the box, what about someone like Elijah Drinkwitz. He has deep southeastern roots and has been a success wherever he’s been building Missouri to a top 10 program, with even higher expectations next year. He has proven he can recruit, and for an SEC program basically in the midwest he has built a solid program. My most outside of the box option would be Demarco Ryans. Former Alabama star, who played in the NFL, and took a terrible Texans franchise to the playoffs. Bama could probably double his salary too. If I was them i would certainly kick the tires to see if Demarco Ryans has any interest. Other than that we just witnessed the end of one of the greatest dynasty of modern age of college football. It will certainly be surreal not seeing Saban on the sidelines. This hiring process should be entertaining.

I think Dabo might be an interesting option, I just wonder if he has thick enough skin to handle the pressure there.
If he doesn’t, who does?

I think he got agitated with his own fan base because they became spoiled. He might be bored or sick of running down the mountain to start games.

Alma maters have a special pull. And it’s Bama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom