No bowl game this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No bowl game this year

Bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far, if you were to look at the vast majority of pre-season predictions, the season has played out exactly as expected. The only split most people had was whether or not Syracuse would beat Maryland. All of the other games have happened as expected, though I think that the Villanova, Clemson, and FSU games turned out to be closer than most people expected.

So, I don't really get all of the angst. It's not like we came into the season expecting to win all of these games.

Now, the rubber really meets the road. Most Syracuse fans have been expecting (or at least predicting the possibility of) 2-3 wins out of the NC State/Duke/Pitt/BC stretch. Since SU missed the chance for a win on the swing game against Maryland, now the season hinges on whether they can win 3 of these games or not to make a bowl game. Given how the other teams have played lately, I think that the NC State game is 60/40 win, Duke is 25/75 loss, Pitt is 50/50 win, and BC is a 40/60 loss. That would be a 5-7 final record which would be disappointing, but not entirely unexpected if you look at preseason expectations.

Let's see what AJ has . He came on strong , a bit brash , and the big moment and great talent got him down in Clemson. If he can refocus and play a strong game against NCSU , then it will be a good finish to the season .

If I had to put money on it right now I would say no bowl. We will certainly be underdogs in the Duke game and more then likely the Pitt and BC games. ( thats assuming we even beat NC State which is no gimee for us ) But there is still hope lets just get a home win Saturday.

So far, if you were to look at the vast majority of pre-season predictions, the season has played out exactly as expected. The only split most people had was whether or not Syracuse would beat Maryland. All of the other games have happened as expected, though I think that the Villanova, Clemson, and FSU games turned out to be closer than most people expected.

So, I don't really get all of the angst. It's not like we came into the season expecting to win all of these games.

Now, the rubber really meets the road. Most Syracuse fans have been expecting (or at least predicting the possibility of) 2-3 wins out of the NC State/Duke/Pitt/BC stretch. Since SU missed the chance for a win on the swing game against Maryland, now the season hinges on whether they can win 3 of these games or not to make a bowl game. Given how the other teams have played lately, I think that the NC State game is 60/40 win, Duke is 25/75 loss, Pitt is 50/50 win, and BC is a 40/60 loss. That would be a 5-7 final record which would be disappointing, but not entirely unexpected if you look at preseason expectations.
Good analysis. Maryland was certainly the the linchpin. Now, we have to beat Duke I think. Duke is winnable - they have 4 cream puff wins and their stats are inflated. I think we have a 50-50 shot. Pitt depends on which Pitt shows up. BC is the one I worry about the most. If we lose to NC State at home, well forgettaboutit.

Good analysis. Maryland was certainly the the linchpin. Now, we have to beat Duke I think. Duke is winnable - they have 4 cream puff wins and their stats are inflated. I think we have a 50-50 shot. Pitt depends on which Pitt shows up. BC is the one I worry about the most. If we lose to NC State at home, well forgettaboutit.
Don't even mention the possibility of loosing to them. It sounds weird just putting 'Duke' and 'football' in the same sentence. If we loose to them, it'll be like the Richmond spiders loss on crack.

Don't even mention the possibility of loosing to them. It sounds weird just putting 'Duke' and 'football' in the same sentence. If we loose to them, it'll be like the Richmond spiders loss on crack.
Dook very good.

Dook very good.
It'll make the Akron loss look like Florida State. Let's not even go there.

puking.jpeg

It'll make the Akron loss look like Florida State. Let's not even go there.

View attachment 29274
Really. Dook won the Coastal last year and leads it this year. They had A&M beat in the Chick Fill-A except for some "Funny" officiating late in the game. Dook is now where The Orange need to. Hopefully , they can put it together against NCSU and set up a great last Dome game against The Blue Devils. Who knows , they might even be allowed to wear the Orange in that game.

Really. Dook won the Coastal last year and leads it this year. They had A&M beat in the Chick Fill-A except for some "Funny" officiating late in the game. Dook is now where The Orange need to. Hopefully , they can put it together against NCSU and set up a great last Dome game against The Blue Devils. Who knows , they might even be allowed to wear the Orange in that game.
That was last year. Duke is an average team this year.

helmets

I don't understand the disrespect for Duke. Cutliffe is a very good/great HC, & they've been pretty consistent these last coupla years.
We always cry about folks dissing us even though we've won 3 outta 4 bowl games, yet the "Syracuse sucks" narrative stays the same.
The Duke of old is no longer- lets give credit where its due.

I don't understand the disrespect for Duke. Cutliffe is a very good/great HC, & they've been pretty consistent these last coupla years.
We always cry about folks dissing us even though we've won 3 outta 4 bowl games, yet the "Syracuse sucks" narrative stays the same.
Not dissing them by any means just pointing our the facts. They are 6-1 with wins against Elon, Troy, Tulane and Kansas. With that schedule their stats are inflated. We have played tougher teams this year and Duke is clearly beatable. No disrespect intended.

credit there ad for scheduling softly yes but if we played that schedule we would be 5-2 at worst

Duck Fuke!!!

We need to worry about the Pack. 12 straight ACC losses, losing to them would be like losing to Rutgers/Temple back in the P days.

Duck Fuke!!!

We need to worry about the Pack. 12 straight ACC losses, losing to them would be like losing to Rutgers/Temple back in the P days.
Sack the Pack with a Paddy Wack!

Just don't agree. Giving the current state of the program, you just can not schedule in guaranteed losses playing heavy weights from the SEC. It's admirable. But the "fools gold" is thinking that playing up and getting hammered is better than getting wins, getting to bowls, have additional practices after the regular season, and chipping away at the national perception of being a losing program.

We have plenty of opportunity to show our chops playing FSU, Clemson and Louisville every year.
You will never, ever, ever hear me complain about playing a big-time opponent. I'm so hyped for LSU next year.

You will never, ever, ever hear me complain about playing a big-time opponent. I'm so hyped for LSU next year.

I definitely respect that position.

Let me ask this, if we miss going to a bowl game next year by one game - at a time when the program desperately needs wins and post season practices - are you ok with that? How about if the schedule makers do us another favor and we have a run of LSU, FSU, Clemson, Miami (guessing), Louisville without a bye week to recover? Do we have the depth yet to risk the additional physical pounding and injury potential from an elite SEC team on top of the top 25 teams we already have on the schedule?

The bravado is great. But it's fool's gold. The program needs wins NOW more than playing the best of the best from the SEC.

There will come a time again when should play an additional Big Boy out of conference. That time is not now.

Mississippi St has or will play 4 non P5 schools in their OOC schedule and are ranked #1. Yes, they have impressive wins over LSU and Auburn but if FSU, Clemson and Louisville are close to that level I can't see why this could not be enough. Hell...all 3 of those teams won a BCS game last year. Mississippi St can not recruit like Alabama, LSU or Auburn so they do what they can to survive and 2014 is the perfect storm for them as they are having a heck of a season.

There are 65 p5 teams. Which ones can Syracuse pencil in as a sure win? A competitive loss , while having the chance at an upset against a team like LSU is way better for the program than struggling to win or losing to Purdue , Vandy , Iowa St , etc.

Try to stay away but still lurk some, I must admit. IMO it is a fan's job to cheer on his/her team and leave it to others to make negative predictions, especially when not in the "heat of the moment" (ie immediately following a loss). That noted, here are my fears:
1. When you're in the position of being in the vast middle of the pack of college football and play a tough OOC schedule to boot you can't afford a What loss. SU suffered one vs. Maryland, a contention I make based on the venue and the ease with which SU piled up yards but failed miserably in red zone/specials. Can't let that happen. I thought at the time it would come back to bite the team and nothing has happened yet in the interim (ie an offsetting big win in an either/or game) to show me otherwise.
2. Pitt and BC are on the road and each staff knows how to attack SU's D. They will line up with big OLs and backs and patiently blast away at the Orange's D, which is built on speed. Each knows the key to success vs. SU is patience and pounding. Petrino did it in another game I thought SU could win at home but didn't. If you're thinking 7-5 (as I was) and those two critical swing games at home go the other way it is easy to assume that 7-5 becomes 5-7 and no bowl unless you win three of the last four, one on the road, which are also swing games imo.
3. The team's most potentially explosive play-makers on offense imo are mostly rookies, who tend to wear down physically and make mistakes mentally as their first long college season against big, athletic foes grinds on.
Those impartial opinions suggest the Orange is in a tough, but not impossible, spot entering the home-stretch. That noted, imo it is up to an impartial observer to point that out and not a fan. I watched the Eagles absolutely give away a victory to Arizona on Sunday and have read a week's worth of Philly writers saying Foles stinks, the secondary stinks and the 5-2 record is deceiving, yet as a fan I'm still pulling for a 14-2 regular season and a ride to the Super Bowl. In other words, for fans it shouldn't be over until it's over. jmo.

Of course, it is against the odds for SU to win 3 and make a bowl. We won't be favored in any of the final 3 games -- so, against the odds. Our offense has been limited so far, so heavy against the odds.

But sometimes underdog teams jump up and beat rivals in November, their alums forget September disappointments, and feel all is right with the program again. Stats from September & October look dull, but the team is somehow better in November.

How do they do it? Young guys learn, improve and get bigger roles (Long, Ishmael, Franklin, Palmer); some injured guys come back and fill a need (Broyld, Rayman). Maybe the coaching staff itself figures some things out, and it starts to work by November (Lester designing the schemes and calling plays; McDonald bringing his energy on the sidelines). Maybe there is a surprise or two with players who haven't had much chance (Custis) or have disappointed in the first part of the season (Morris). Biggest hope -- a true frosh QB might be better with a couple of games under his belt; or the defense can force some more breaks as it did against Wake.

Two home games, and a bye before the rivalry games with Pitt and BC. Not impossible that this team gets better into November.

I definitely respect that position.

Let me ask this, if we miss going to a bowl game next year by one game - at a time when the program desperately needs wins and post season practices - are you ok with that? How about if the schedule makers do us another favor and we have a run of LSU, FSU, Clemson, Miami (guessing), Louisville without a bye week to recover? Do we have the depth yet to risk the additional physical pounding and injury potential from an elite SEC team on top of the top 25 teams we already have on the schedule?

The bravado is great. But it's fool's gold. The program needs wins NOW more than playing the best of the best from the SEC.

There will come a time again when should play an additional Big Boy out of conference. That time is not now.
I 100% see what you're saying, but I don't know how long it is we're gonna have to wait to see that time. Being 6-6 and playing a mediocre OOC just doesn't excite me as a fan, but I see your position, definitely.

I bleed the proverbial Orange just like all of us, but I am not feeling too good about a bowl bid. The offense has been lousy all season. We commit way too many penalties. We have absolutely no return game. The defense has played admirably and is causing a ton of turnovers, and Dixon has been off the charts(as a punter, a running back and a QB!) but a lot has to start going right. Obviously the schedule is a lot easier the last 4 games than the prior 6. However, even if we beat NC State, which we should, I don't think we beat Duke and I don't think we can sweep Pitt and BC. Hope to hell I am wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom