Class of 2014 - Noah Vonleh | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Noah Vonleh

Everyone was raving about Lawrence when it looked like a commit was imminent. As soon as he announced he was putting off his decision, it was amazing how others' skills made them better choices. But it does seem evident that the staff did not like hearing him put off his decision. It certainly seems as though they cooled, and armory is probably correct in that the staff is looking for a 2013 big. It's probably why the staff is back on Vonleh again.

To me, it looked like Lawrence was option 1, Roberson option 2. Vonleh at least option 3. Lawrence announced he was waiting, so they really pushed on Roberson, and started up conversations again with Vonleh. Gotta have someone in the back pocket, just in case your primary option goes in another direction.

Next year, with a Sr - Fair, Jr - Rak, Soph - Grant, it's not hard to see why they are not having the easiest time convincing someone to go Orange. It will be much easier to convince a 2014 recruit like McCullough. They have to sell the idea that Rak will probably be gone, and before the season starts, that isn't an easy task to accomplish.

Everyone was raving about Lawrence when it looked like a commit was imminent. As soon as he announced he was putting off his decision, it was amazing how others' skills made them better choices. But it does seem evident that the staff did not like hearing him put off his decision. It certainly seems as though they cooled, and armory is probably correct in that the staff is looking for a 2013 big. It's probably why the staff is back on Vonleh again.

To me, it looked like Lawrence was option 1, Roberson option 2. Vonleh at least option 3. Lawrence announced he was waiting, so they really pushed on Roberson, and started up conversations again with Vonleh. Gotta have someone in the back pocket, just in case your primary option goes in another direction.

Next year, with a Sr - Fair, Jr - Rak, Soph - Grant, it's not hard to see why they are not having the easiest time convincing someone to go Orange. It will be much easier to convince a 2014 recruit like McCullough. They have to sell the idea that Rak will probably be gone, and before the season starts, that isn't an easy task to accomplish.

Vonleh is by far the best talent out of the 3 imo. If you saw the game he had at the Adidas nation tournament vs Lawrence you would probably agree. Lawrence I rate ahead of Roberson purely on measurable (taller/longer) Roberson is a very sound player (a right handed CJ imo)

Everyone was raving about Lawrence when it looked like a commit was imminent. As soon as he announced he was putting off his decision, it was amazing how others' skills made them better choices. .

Not that you were referring to me, but...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/jermaine-lawrence.25853/page-11

Still have some reservations on him. Looks to have a little KJo in him, the kind of ability that looks good vs. lesser opponents but doesn't quite translate against stiff competition. He looks like he tries to put defenders off balance but doesn't ever commit to the move. That's just based on a tiny sample size though & would love to be proven wrong if we land him.

armory, Aug 16, 2012

Jermaine Lawrence Will Sign Late (UPDATED) zagsblog.com/2012/08/25/jer…

Madbiker, Aug 27, 2012

let the record note that I was never on the Lawrence train!

Yes people were excited about Lawrence when it looked like he might commit. It will happen with most recruits.

I disagree with your ranking, and think Vonleh was first. I just think the staff assessed the odds of getting him to be long. But with Young probably going to UK, the sweet possibility of being in the hunt for Vonleh may now be in play. And just because people were excited at one time about Lawrence, does not mean they would be hypocritical if they are ecstatic if Vonleh comes here.

And you don't sell the recruits on Rak going pro. You sell them on the opportunity to play for SU. Generally players experience a progression of responsibilities and improvement. They are joining a top 5 program where the norm is for the freshman to have limited PT and to learn and improve.

Vonleh is by far the best talent out of the 3 imo. If you saw the game he had at the Adidas nation tournament vs Lawrence you would probably agree. Lawrence I rate ahead of Roberson purely on measurable (taller/longer) Roberson is a very sound player (a right handed CJ imo)

That may be the case, but it still seems very clear that the staff was on Vonleh before Lawrence or Roberson. Lawrence certainly seemed to become the staff's primary focus, with Roberson in the background.

Vonleh even reported at one point that he had no idea what the story was with SU, as they just stopped contacting him.

But as soon as Lawrence decided to hold off, all we heard was crickets chirping when it came to him and SU. Roberson has surged to the foreground, and now they are talking with Vonleh again. I expect it has taken them a while to repair relations with Vonleh, so it would be quite the coup to get him to MM.

I expect that if Roberson chooses someone else, they will be all in on Vonleh.

The bad scenario is if they can't get Roberson or Vonleh, and Rak leaves after this year. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but if it does, the staff may have to get creative. We might see Gbinije playing quite a bit of the 3.

And the worse case scenario would be if both Rak & DC2 left after this year. At least it would make it very easy to get commits with tons of immediately available minutes.

Lawrence is an inch taller at 6'9, while Roberson is 6'8, but Roberson is actually longer with a 7'1 wingspan, while Lawrence's is only 6'10. Both weighed the same at 201lbs.

Yes people were excited about Lawrence when it looked like he might commit. It will happen with most recruits.

I disagree with your ranking, and think Vonleh was first. I just think the staff assessed the odds of getting him to be long. But with Young probably going to UK, the sweet possibility of being in the hunt for Vonleh may now be in play. And just because people were excited at one time about Lawrence, does not mean they would be hypocritical if they are ecstatic if Vonleh comes here.

And you don't sell the recruits on Rak going pro. You sell them on the opportunity to play for SU. Generally players experience a progression of responsibilities and improvement. They are joining a top 5 program where the norm is for the freshman to have limited PT and to learn and improve.

Kids don't want to hear about limited PT and a progression of responsibilities. And after seeing Kentucky the last few years, they know that being a top 5 program is no excuse for that happening. They want PT and they want it now! And many more of them think they are good enough to be 1 and done, than is true.

And if Vonleh is first, you don't do a disappearing act on watching him, especially that early. I think it is very clear that the staff liked other options better. That is my view. You can feel free to view it otherwise.

Having said that, is not necessarily a condemnation of the kid as a player.

I, for one, am excited for anyone who commits to SU, and refuse to condemn any kid who chooses not too, unless they want to be a complete a$$clown about it.

Kids don't want to hear about limited PT and a progression of responsibilities. And after seeing Kentucky the last few years, they know that being a top 5 program is no excuse for that happening. They want PT and they want it now! And many more of them think they are good enough to be 1 and done, than is true.

And if Vonleh is first, you don't do a disappearing act on watching him, especially that early. I think it is very clear that the staff liked other options better. That is my view. You can feel free to view it otherwise.

Having said that, is not necessarily a condemnation of the kid as a player.

I, for one, am excited for anyone who commits to SU, and refuse to condemn any kid who chooses not too, unless they want to be a complete a$$clown about it.
Many kids don't want to hear about the possibility of having limited PT, but some can handle it - MCW, Grant, BMK, and now Ennis and Obokoh come to mind. There is a mind set of delay of gratification that not everyone has. And it may be that this mind set has shown not to be in Lawrence, so he no longer is as good of a fit as he once seemed.

I don't know the particulars with Vonleh. It could have been that he had expressed his interest in UK to the staff, which cooled their recruitment. It could have been when the staff explained their plans for him to come and progress into playing time, Vonleh had a bad initial reaction. Vonleh may have later taken a more mature look at the picture and reconsidered.

My guess is the staff would be happy with either a Vonleh or Roberson commit, but if they had their choice, they would take Vonleh. The staff would probably take the first to commit. A benefit of taking the first to commit is that it would show the person was accepting of the SU manner of player development - very few one and dones.

Vonleh has cut his list down to six. From ESPN:

"According to Pete Hutchins, Vonleh’s high school coach, the combo forward is down to six programs: Indiana, Ohio State, Georgetown, Syracuse, Connecticut and North Carolina. Also according to Hutchins, the programs coming at him the strongest and making the most headway are Indiana, Ohio State, Syracuse and Georgetown. That leaves North Carolina and Connecticut with ground to make up.

The month of November will be a particularly busy one for Vonleh, who is ranked No. 7 in the ESPN 100. He’ll begin with a visit to Syracuse the weekend of Nov. 3. Indiana would be next on the list the following weekend.

The bulk of the schools that remain in the running for Vonleh easily made the transition in his recruitment as he switched classes. They wanted him as a junior and covet him as hard or harder now that he’s a senior. He hasn’t gone out and added a litany of new schools, rather he’s kept the programs in that mix that had previously cultivated relationships with him when he was a member of the Class of 2014."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=2531

"According to Pete Hutchins, Vonleh’s high school coach, the combo forward is down to six programs: Indiana, Ohio State, Georgetown, Syracuse, Connecticut and North Carolina. Also according to Hutchins, the programs coming at him the strongest and making the most headway are Indiana, Ohio State, Syracuse and Georgetown. That leaves North Carolina and Connecticut with ground to make up.

The month of November will be a particularly busy one for Vonleh, who is ranked No. 7 in the ESPN 100. He’ll begin with a visit to Syracuse the weekend of Nov. 3. Indiana would be next on the list the following weekend.

The bulk of the schools that remain in the running for Vonleh easily made the transition in his recruitment as he switched classes. They wanted him as a junior and covet him as hard or harder now that he’s a senior. He hasn’t gone out and added a litany of new schools, rather he’s kept the programs in that mix that had previously cultivated relationships with him when he was a member of the Class of 2014."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=2531
That seems to be all good news, but this one doesn't appear to be concluding until the spring. So, hopefully we take care of business on Jordan and Roberson, and if someone jumps early we will be in good position to pick up Vonleh. I am not sure if the numbers could even work out that way, but usually it ends up working out. Maybe Johnson wouldn't be too opposed to a prep year to get his body and game ready for SU.

idk about all this, we dont seem to fair well with these long drawn out signing in the spring types. if we could lock up a commitement from Roberson soon, im cool with that. Lawrence seems to think hes made of gold now, and Vonleh obv wants to weigh out his options and go to the best place for him (which is us of course) but can we wait that long? would rather end up with Roberson then nothing at all

idk about all this, we dont seem to fair well with these long drawn out signing in the spring types. if we could lock up a commitement from Roberson soon, im cool with that. Lawrence seems to think hes made of gold now, and Vonleh obv wants to weigh out his options and go to the best place for him (which is us of course) but can we wait that long? would rather end up with Roberson then nothing at all
I think we would take a commitment from Roberson if he were ready to offer it. If Vonleh still considers us an option in the spring and wants to come, I think that the numbers would work out where he could come, but I think that only happens if one of the current forwards leaves early. This is just my opinion.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=2531[/quote]

Glad to know he is away the weekend of Nov. 10 in Indiana. I am a graduate of New Hampton, and VERY involved with the school. I was maybe going to travel from AZ to New Hampton that weekend because a very good friend of mine is being inducted into the Hall of Fame there that weekend. First New Hampton basketball player to play Div. 1 basketbal and be drafted in the NBA. Back in the 1970s. Was very tempting to have an opportunity to meet Vonleh, even though I could not say anything about Syracuse. But it would remind the powers at New Hampton that I went to Syracuse and am a crazy fan. It is not possible to be with me and not hear about Syracuse basketball. Even my cell phone has a Syracuse cover on it. But most likely can't go, and now I know he won't be there, so...

Troy williams to indiana...helps out big time with vonleh

Just saw on twitter they said it basically eliminates them from the Vonleh sweepstakes as they're already over signed. Having said that as we saw with Patterson Crean isn't afraid to cut kids to make room. Big sign will be if he atill goes on his visit. Like you said tho this is good news for us.

I think vonleh might be more of a need than most people think depending on who leaves. Not necessarily cuz of position but scoring need. Roberson doesn't seem like he'd be able to come here and score at his level at all

im suddenly optimistic about Vonleh, dang. between this Troy Williams announcement for IU and the fact that UNC seems to be all in on Kennedy Meeks and not involved as much with Vonleh since his reclass. hoping his visit next weekend goes as expected and we hear some more good news

im suddenly optimistic about Vonleh, dang. between this Troy Williams announcement for IU and the fact that UNC seems to be all in on Kennedy Meeks and not involved as much with Vonleh since his reclass. hoping his visit next weekend goes as expected and we hear some more good news
From the UNC people that I know they believe they have a better shot at Vonleh if they do indeed also get Meeks because that ensures to Vonleh that he would be able to play more on the perimeter and wouldn't be forced to play as much 4. They have room for the both of them and will going hard after them both especially since Williams is off the board because their insiders have long thought they were in good position for Williams even though they were lurking in the back due to their relationship w/ his uncle Boo Williams.

From the UNC people that I know they believe they have a better shot at Vonleh if they do indeed also get Meeks because that ensures to Vonleh that he would be able to play more on the perimeter and wouldn't be forced to play as much 4. They have room for the both of them and will going hard after them both especially since Williams is off the board because their insiders have long thought they were in good position for Williams even though they were lurking in the back due to their relationship w/ his uncle Boo Williams.
sounds like they have lots of ground to make up, time will tell but im thinking we will remain in good position with him now till the end...unless Roberson commits

Just saw on twitter that Williams camp thinks Indiana still has a good shot to get Vonleh. Maybe Crean will cut some kids again to make room. Interesting information too with UNC. Some of the UNC people were under the impression they were in the lead with Vonleh then the latest articles came out and they all seemed shocked. It's too bad he's not going to be able to see the dome filled in a game like Georgetown instead he'll see it probably half filled because its just an exhibition game.

Also, FWIW was just checking out the UNC board and an Indiana guy posted on a thread that some of the Indiana insiders say its mainly between Indiana and us for Vonleh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom