Non-favoring calls or just non-calls | Syracusefan.com

Non-favoring calls or just non-calls

It seems like the entire season has gone this way. The end of the Villanova game was unreal. St. John's repeatedly knocked CM to the floor the whole game and Rak being mauled every game. Today was so blatant at the end of the game. The block call and the embarrassing non-walk call at the end. Rak could have had a and 1 on almost every basket he made today.

we haven't had any decent homecookin' for a long while. rak's pick foul definitely was a play on.

As a player, coach and fan, I can't recall a team getting hosed more then SU at home, on the road or neutral site. Un-effin-believable!!!

It's difficult not to connect the obvious no-calls and missed calls all season long both on the road and at home to JB's outburst at Duke last year. Couldn't ever prove it but it sure looks and smells like someone high up decided that his showing up the refs in the ACC's pantheon deserved some serious payback. The fact that there's no public accountability for college refs, when the players and coaches are subject to heavy public scrutiny, lowers the quality of the reffing. I've never understood why coaches can't publicly complain about the reffing. Because it undermines the sanctity of the game? Really, how does it do that? A ref blows a call like what happened today and the coach can't say anything about it afterwards? So his or her silence essentially cements bad refereeing. That's just nuts.

What's needed in college hoop is a challenge system, similar to what tennis, baseball and the NFL use. That might make the refs more accountable for missing such obvious calls that change the nature and often the result, of the game.

I don't know - it feels like we've been a hosed a bit at end of game situations of late.

Most of the year I've just felt like the officiating was so horrible that you couldn't tell who got the best of it.

I don't recall a season like this though where I left thinking - we just got away with some home cooking so little. I think maybe once this year I left knowing we got the best of it. Seems like most years you have a handful of those to balance out the rest.

What's needed in college hoop is a challenge system, similar to what tennis, baseball and the NFL use. That might make the refs more accountable for missing such obvious calls that change the nature and often the result, of the game.

GOD NO!! Please no!! I'll take the bad calls they even out, the last thing we need is more stoppages to go to the monitor. Hey guys I think 0.2 seconds may have gone off the clock after we thought about calling time out...let's spend 5 minutes reviewing to see if we should put some time back on.

With 15 seconds left their guard shuffled his feet about 3x on our baseline, 2 point difference, game on the line, and the refs are looking at, what, exactly?

There wasn't even any contact from us so you could say well they didn't call the foul/travel and it's a play on.

It was the most egregious travel I've ever seen. and with the game on the line the officials have no call.

Completely absurd. Should have been Syracuse ball under our own basket down 2 with 12 seconds left.

I reiterate my call that there needs to be a challenge flag allowed in College Basketball.

coach boeheim sits down for 20 minutes with reporters after every game to explain his actions.
let's also just sit the refs down post game for 20 minutes with a video monitor to explain their calls.

we haven't had any decent homecookin' for a long while. rak's pick foul definitely was a play on.

I don't even want homecookin'. I just want the game called semi even and take all the blatant physicality out of it. Officiating is at an all time low at all levels. I watched a girls HS game Fri night and players were hitting the floor every couple of minutes with ZERO whistles. It was more aggressive than some of the boys games I've seen. Plus the other coach kept his starters in until midway through the 4th qtr...while up 40. Douche.

I digress. We need the Hot Tub Time Machine to bring refs back from the past. But not Higgins or Burr.

I watched St Mary's and Gonzaga last night. A foul actually was called a foul. The game had a flow to it, bodies weren't flying all over the place. In other words, a basketball game. Imagine that.

Perhaps what we're seeing are double-secret probationary sanctions in the way of tailored calls and a gauntlet of sorts for Rak to have to battle through. Maybe the sanctions have actually been announced but are too secret for words.

Last edited:
coach boeheim sits down for 20 minutes with reporters after every game to explain his actions.
let's also just sit the refs down post game for 20 minutes with a video monitor to explain their calls.

I've been saying this for years. Why aren't the officials held accountable?

Just call the fouls - let the coaches and players adjust. If a team is beating up the big man, call the fouls, the players adjust. They'll have to front the big guy. Then they'll have to adjust to the lob over their head. That's basketball. Move/Counter-Move. Instead, they just pick some random point anywhere from 15-30 minutes into a game, call a couple quick fouls, and congratulate themselves for tightening up the game.

That's completely random.

Also, if Okafor fouls out - just foul him out. My god. The world won't end. If a kid travels at the end, be bold, like when you called your first moving screen in a game featuring tons of them with 30 seconds left, and call the stupid thing. They officiate about as well as an all-volunteer staff would.

It's difficult not to connect the obvious no-calls and missed calls all season long both on the road and at home to JB's outburst at Duke last year. Couldn't ever prove it but it sure looks and smells like someone high up decided that his showing up the refs in the ACC's pantheon deserved some serious payback. The fact that there's no public accountability for college refs, when the players and coaches are subject to heavy public scrutiny, lowers the quality of the reffing. I've never understood why coaches can't publicly complain about the reffing. Because it undermines the sanctity of the game? Really, how does it do that? A ref blows a call like what happened today and the coach can't say anything about it afterwards? So his or her silence essentially cements bad refereeing. That's just nuts.

you are 100% exactly right. things have changed after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom