Not Good This sounds GROB'ish and is Disturbing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not Good This sounds GROB'ish and is Disturbing

i for one am thrilled there isn't a chance of us ending up in an 8 way tie in the big east anymore

crappy crapping crap stupid crapped

Ah, the true eloquence of a keen observer.

From such insight we get Broyld for QB?

I gather "Crap Man" that you would take wins against Pitt and BC?

ehh... we lost to wvu and miami 42-0 and 49-0 in 2 straight games (in our heyday)

its bad and all... but its been worse. the staff can overcome this.
This is different. That felt like a blip where we had a good idea about our young talent and we were watching a very young defense in development. This year's defense has a bunch of veterans at every level and we have no idea if the young guys waiting on the sideline on offense are any better than what we are playing right now. We also had a coaching staff with recent 10-2 seasons. This staff is completely unproven.

Part of the job is to put the kids that you do have in positions to succeed. He's not very good at that. The WR's that are playing now all had much greater success last year. Some step back was to be expected, but not to this degree.

Like sands thru the hourglass..

I think, as I've suggested, at some point you have to wonder if West's numbers last year were a product of the attention drawn by 2 experienced WRs who seemed to be pretty good at getting open.

Or if West's numbers last year were a product of the QB throwing to him.

I don't think it's automatic that #3 WRs become #1 WRs by attrition.

Clark, Kobena, Broyld have all already exceeded last year's stats. Leaving Beckett Wales as the only real enigma. If the fate of our offense revolves around him...

Maybe the guy will prove to be a terrible OC, who knows. But I wouldn't hang his portrait in the Pariani wing just yet.

They also went from having an NFL-caliber QB to, well, not an NFL-caliber QB. I will agree though that the WR group has been probably the most disappointing unit this season, with the defensive secondary a close second.

Couldn't agree more--both groups have seemed utterly lost and confused. And with all the crap that is being flung Hunt's way, don't you think a lot of it has to do do with the failure of the receiving corps to show up to play?

I'll take the ugly P&D result the last season - 6-5 regular season with bowl invite, BE Co-Championship and wins against Pitt and BC.

That's the first time I've heard you admit that was ugly. Unless you meant to quote it for emphasis.

Put me on the list of people who just can't bring myself to think of a 4 way tie at 4-2 in the 2004 Big East as a championship level accomplishment. Politicians are paid for that kind of spin.

But having said that, I'll gladly take wins over Pitt/BC/Wake, and a 6-6 season with a bowl game. To me, that's basically the same thing. And given how this year started, it might be the best we can hope for.

That's the first time I've heard you admit that was ugly. Unless you meant to quote it for emphasis.

Put me on the list of people who just can't bring myself to think of a 4 way tie at 4-2 in the 2004 Big East as a championship level accomplishment. Politicians are paid for that kind of spin.

But having said that, I'll gladly take wins over Pitt/BC/Wake, and a 6-6 season with a bowl game. To me, that's basically the same thing. And given how this year started, it might be the best we can hope for.

Good answer.

We agree.

We'd take a 6-5 regular season, co-conference championship, bowl invite and wins over BC and Pitt.

Excellent. That was all I was attempting to establish.

And by the way I would take that near win against FSU this year as well.

And by the way I would take that near win against FSU this year as well.

That might be a little greedy. That was a 9-3 FSU team whose scored 20 points or less in half their games. And we had them in the Dome.

This is Bobby Bowden heyday level. In Tallahassee. If it's still competitive halfway thru the 2nd quarter, I think we have to feel good.

That might be a little greedy. That was a 9-3 FSU team whose scored 20 points or less in half their games. And we had them in the Dome.

This is Bobby Bowden heyday level. In Tallahassee. If it's still competitive halfway thru the 2nd quarter, I think we have to feel good.

That was a game that nobody thought we could win. FSU might have underachieved that year, but it had some great players including Leon Washington.

Had that muffed FSU punt been recovered by the Orange (in the endzone) and had Reyes not fumbled in the FSU redzone at the end of the game we would have enjoyed a great upset win in the Dome.

But I digress.

The point was that as "ugly" as that season was many of us would glady accept this year what that 2004 team was able to accomplish - despite the bad Purdue loss and Ga Tech bowl loss.

Ah, the true eloquence of a keen observer.

From such insight we get Broyld for QB?

I gather "Crap Man" that you would take wins against Pitt and BC?
Sure. Relax. I'm saying I'm glad we're not in the big east

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That was a game that nobody thought we could win. FSU might have underachieved that year, but it had some great players including Leon Washington.

Had that muffed FSU punt been recovered by the Orange (in the endzone) and had Reyes not fumbled in the FSU redzone at the end of the game we would have enjoyed a great upset win in the Dome.

But I digress.

The point was that as "ugly" as that season was many of us would glady accept this year what that 2004 team was able to accomplish - despite the bad Purdue loss and Ga Tech bowl loss.

I know 1 person who thought we could win.

Cuseguy screamed at least 25 times during the game "They aren't that good"

That still rings in my ears. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very quickly, we have to get into a position where we are not making excuses for someone leaving or graduating. Good teams have depth to call next man up. Feel like we're getting there on defense (although our play does not reflect it). On offense, not so much. We have massive amount of work to do at receiver. Recruits take notice, immediate playing time.

Last edited:
I know 1 person who thought we could win.

Cuseguy screamed at least 25 times during the game "They aren't that good"

That still rings in my ears. :)

Cuseguy watched Rocky IV at least six times during the tailgate. "He's not a machine Rock!"

But I digress.

I agree, will gladly take it, with the promise of moving up from it.

That Reyes fumble haunted me. On his way to the endzone, running past a DL that was blocked to the ground, when said DL reached up to knock the ball out. As Dr. Assman would say, 'one in a million shot'

Score some points the D will look a lot better, join the modern era of college football where nobody really cares about defense anymore, you know who cares about defense, elite programs and teams that can't score points. That's top 4-5 teams and a bunch of bozos like us. Fluck defense start planning and playing the game in the modern era. Eastern football is dead people, nobody cares anymore. It's ridiculous

So, Alabama, LSU, FSU, Va Tech etc don't care about defense?

Very quickly, we have to get into a position where we are not making excuses for someone leaving or graduating. Good teams have depth to call next man up.

Partially the inadequatecy of Marrones recruiting on offense.

I'll be shocked if FSU doesn't drop 70 on us.

IMO, they are the best team out there this year. Jameis is a freak.

Playing to stop the run vs passing teams is a fools errand and that is how it looked vs Clemson. Confused to the n'th degree vs GT. I am so disappointed on how our DB's are being used and that goes for the play of the db's as well which is a complete surprise to me, I did not see that one coming. Players better step up and coaches better get their act together and put these players in the right place to succeed. If I see timeouts being called for not being ready in the 1st period...after an off week...well...this time I will not forgive. Be prepared.

So, Alabama, LSU, FSU, Va Tech etc don't care about defense?

You need to re-read the post, Va Tech, Rutgers does but they aren't very good either. Their offense is terrible. Great defense will win national championships for sure, great offense, bad defense will make you adequate and relevant. That is how the game is played, why is Oregon suddenly trying to play defense? Stanford plays pretty defense for the most part, good offense.

It is the way the game is played, great balance, great teams for the most part but you want to be relevant, want to be top 20-30, melt the scoreboard and worry about defense later. Just the way the game has gone.

Last edited:
Partially the inadequatecy of Marrones recruiting on offense.

Syracuse has never had great depth for the most part, even in the hay day depth wasn't out strongest attribute. I agree though the recuiting on offense has been bad at qb, wr, and ol. Zack Allen would probably be starting this year if Doug was here. I think people over estimate a bit "scheming" people open versus two really really good college wide receivers and a guy that could throw them the football and also an OC who was finding his stride with the HC helps as well. If you have receivers that cant get open 1 on 1 you are in big trouble.

Syracuse needs both as our talent will never be elite, they need to be well coached, smart with above average talent. What I don't get is everyone piled on Rob Moore but where was the praise last year? GMC is a career wide receiver coach as well, between the two of them I would bet the coaching is more than average.

Last edited:
I have only been to two games thus far this year - Tulane and NC State. In the Tulane game everyone was open including me. In the NC State game very few were open.

Is it scheme? Lack of good routes? Lack of WR talent? Hunt?

Tulane proved that Hunt can hit open receivers very accurately. Therefore, I lean towards suspecting that our receivers just aren't very good. Broyld gets open and Hunt does hit him but nobody else seems to get open. I am not saying Hunt does not share some fault, he surely does, but he is better than what he has shown in the last few games. However, if the defense makes us fall behind again we are toast.

I remain apprehensively hopeful (if that is possible).

I see a few guys still saying 6 wins. I'm still hoping for the best too, but you have to accept reality as it's being presented. We aren't just talking about giving up the most games with 48+ points, it is combined with an offense that can't score which means we are on pace for giving up the most blowouts in program history. Blowouts = not being competitive, not being prepared, and not being able to adjust. This is what got Grob fired and P fired. People still think we can beat Wake, even the odds makers, but how in the heck does anyone expect this defense to cover Campanaro? How do we fix a completely inept passing game? We have a one dimensional offense that even when they gain 300+ yards on the ground can't put points on the board because they self destruct and a defense that can't stop any decent passing attack from gaining 40+ points. I'm not ready to fire anybody, and as always the team has my full support, but can we play a real game against a real team? Please? And don't give me NC State, they haven't been able to score 20 against a BCS team all year. They beat LaTech, Richmond, and Central Michigan and stunk it up against everyone else.

I have only been to two games thus far this year - Tulane and NC State. In the Tulane game everyone was open including me. In the NC State game very few were open.

Is it scheme? Lack of good routes? Lack of WR talent? Hunt?

Tulane proved that Hunt can hit open receivers very accurately. Therefore, I lean towards suspecting that our receivers just aren't very good. Broyld gets open and Hunt does hit him but nobody else seems to get open. I am not saying Hunt does not share some fault, he surely does, but he is better than what he has shown in the last few games. However, if the defense makes us fall behind again we are toast.

I remain apprehensively hopeful (if that is possible).

What's the matter, Crusty? Trying to forget the Ped State game? Can't say that I blame you!

What's the matter, Crusty? Trying to forget the Ped State game? Can't say that I blame you!

LOL! Holy cow how could I forget that! See how the mind tries to protect you from bad memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom