Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025.

the games schedule will likely be moved back or cancelled

But we signed the MetLife contract when we needed the money now that we have the ACC contract and more money we just can't void the MetLife contract now. So we are tied to the MetLife contract regardless. So everyone can cry all they want about it but we are not getting out of the MetLife contract anytime soon. I know it sucks for local fans but Dr. Gross went into the contract not knowing Syracuse sports future. My guess is if he knew we would be n the ACC or Big 10 then he probably wouldn't have entered into the contract. At the time the business decision made sense to Dr. Gross.

Maybe Alsacs and the rest of the people that think that the SU Athletics Department doesn't need money and should not continue the Metlife agreement because we have too much should read the article in the link below.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/update_who_should_pay_syracuse.html

SU will keep this agreement for the forseable future and more than likely sign on again with them for the money. The games in Metlife aren't going away, so please just stop.

The cost on the University for the Scholarships of the players will ensure this.

Maybe Alsacs and the rest of the people that think that the SU Athletics Department doesn't need money and should not continue the Metlife agreement because we have too much should read the article in the link below.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/update_who_should_pay_syracuse.html

SU will keep this agreement for the forseable future and more than likely sign on again with them for the money. The games in Metlife aren't going away, so please just stop.

The cost on the University for the Scholarships of the players will ensure this.
The Notre Dame series won't happen again at Metlife I have it on good authority. We will fulfill our 14 games in 20 year series and then I don't know if we will continue the Metlife series. Again, if the Metlife games aren't premiere home games that are moved from the Dome(like USC last year) I don't see anything thing wrong with them as they are good thing, if we played a team that will be on our long schedule on the Dome down there I wouldn't see anything wrong with that i.e. Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest. Dr. Gross told me he is a man of word, I don't think legitimate gripping with this issue is a problem at all. Those of us on the board are diehards. The Penn State game is perfect even if we don't play them in 2020-2021 its a preseason bowl game and gets us in the greater NYC area, and even though there will be more Cult of Joe fans SU isn't giving up a home game and playing its return game in State College.If Syracuse wants to be a premiere Northeast football brand it can't act small time. I understand football attendance is weak but moving games that will sellout out the Dome which Notre Dame would isn't a good thing. With the new revenue from the ACC I don't know if Dr. Gross would do this, but I think legitimate discussion on this issue is fair.
Again, I don't live in CNY and have no connection with the area outside of SU, but I think this issue deserves a proper discussion and people telling people to stop complaining when they donate their money to SU is wrong. SU is asking for our dollars and for our time when we can watch all these games they should listen to what these consumers are saying. The NFL is having attendance problems and they are doing everything they can to make the in-game experience more unique and reward those who to the game. I don't think SU should do the same thing but anybody who complains about the fact SU is moving a game down state isn't including it in their season ticket package for free and has to pay for it additionally is whining or complaining. That is all I am going to say for now disagree with me all you want, but I respect the you atleast brought some facts to support your side and while I disagree with your position I respect the post.

The Notre Dame series won't happen again at Metlife I have it on good authority. We will fulfill our 14 games in 20 year series and then I don't know if we will continue the Metlife series. Again, if the Metlife games aren't premiere home games that are moved from the Dome(like USC last year) I don't see anything thing wrong with them as they are good thing, if we played a team that will be on our long schedule on the Dome down there I wouldn't see anything wrong with that i.e. Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest. Dr. Gross told me he is a man of word, I don't think legitimate gripping with this issue is a problem at all. Those of us on the board are diehards. The Penn State game is perfect even if we don't play them in 2020-2021 its a preseason bowl game and gets us in the greater NYC area, and even though there will be more Cult of Joe fans SU isn't giving up a home game and playing its return game in State College.If Syracuse wants to be a premiere Northeast football brand it can't act small time. I understand football attendance is weak but moving games that will sellout out the Dome which Notre Dame would isn't a good thing. With the new revenue from the ACC I don't know if Dr. Gross would do this, but I think legitimate discussion on this issue is fair.
Again, I don't live in CNY and have no connection with the area outside of SU, but I think this issue deserves a proper discussion and people telling people to stop complaining when they donate their money to SU is wrong. SU is asking for our dollars and for our time when we can watch all these games they should listen to what these consumers are saying. The NFL is having attendance problems and they are doing everything they can to make the in-game experience more unique and reward those who to the game. I don't think SU should do the same thing but anybody who complains about the fact SU is moving a game down state isn't including it in their season ticket package for free and has to pay for it additionally is whining or complaining. That is all I am going to say for now disagree with me all you want, but I respect the you atleast brought some facts to support your side and while I disagree with your position I respect the post.

Clearly you didn't read the article.

Clearly you didn't read the article.
Who cares who pays the 7.5 million actually the 6 million exit fee as 1.5 has already been paid. SU has the money and can easily get loans to pay it immediately. With the future income from the ACC coming any bank would give SU a secured loan when SU is going to be making atleast 10 million a year from the ACC TV contract. Any more? I can teach you the basics of Secured Transactions if you want as I CALI'ed that class in law school.

Who cares who pays the 7.5 million actually the 6 million exit fee as 1.5 has already been paid. SU has the money and can easily get loans to pay it immediately. With the future income from the ACC coming any bank would give SU a secured loan when SU is going to be making atleast 10 million a year from the ACC TV contract. Any more? I can teach you the basics of Secured Transactions if you want as I CALI'ed that class in law school.

My apologies, wrong article.

Read this one:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/who_will_pay_syracuse_universi.html

Did you read about the part that the Athletic Department is a NET LOSER even after all money is figured in? ACC or otherwise.

"Most people believe that athletics generates money and helps support the university. That's not so," said Robert van Gulick, a member of the University Senate budget committee. “You’ve got 35 or 40 sports and only two of them (football and men’s basketball) are making money. Athletic scholarships are paid by financial aid, which is entirely financed by schools and colleges. If the athletics department had to pay for athletic scholarships, they’d be bankrupt.”

Point being that the school adn Athletic Department will not turn down additional money regardless of where it comes from. Especially 5 mil a year for playing a game in Metlife.

weve covered this before, heres your Giants Stadium opponents:

penn st
notre dame
ohio st
michigan
wisconsin
and if people want to prove that tennessee, nebraska and texas will represent...im listening.

otherwise...every game in the Dome.

Oh Lord

Agreed, although I'd place Nebraska and Texas in the "for sure" list and dump Wisconsin who did not travel all that well in previous Kick-Off Classic games.

The problem is that 4 of the 6 then would be BiG teams who may get that same exposure by forcing some Rutgers games there later on anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

why???

there is no reason to not play them in the Dome.

:noidea:

meant in addition to the dome. like a 1-1-1-1 where each team play in its home stadium 1 time then 1 game in metlife and 1 in dc

Agreed, although I'd place Nebraska and Texas in the "for sure" list and dump Wisconsin who did not travel all that well in previous Kick-Off Classic games.

The problem is that 4 of the 6 then would be BiG teams who may get that same exposure by forcing some Rutgers games there later on anyway.

Cheers,
Neil
believe me, its not lost on me that they are all basically b1g teams.

its also why i always felt rutgers was a key piece to realignment, and if the ACC locked them up, maryland would likely still be in tow as well.

but thats another topic for a whole other thread and that has been beaten to death as well.

meant in addition to the dome. like a 1-1-1-1 where each team play in its home stadium 1 time then 1 game in metlife and 1 in dc
:eek:

thats nuts.

sorry.

Oh Lord

I know im just throwing it out there we all love either 1-1 deals or 2-1 in our favor

It appears the other ACC schools are going to do the games @ND so I can live with this compromise and not complain. 2 ND-SU games at Metlife and no games at SB for the next 3 years is a win-win.

See, you got all worried about nothing. :)

This ball was always in Syracuse's court anyway. It could have cancelled the Met Life deal and the contract would have spelled out the consequences, if any.

This really had nothing to do with ND at all except the identity of the potential Met Life opponent for Syracuse. ND wasn't holding a gun to anyone's head.

It looks like ND worked with Syracuse and the ACC to get this deal modified.

The ND/ACC partnership is going to be a good thing for all concerned.

How is that possible? I thought everything but football and hockey was in the ACC and belonged to the upcoming ACC network?

"The extension keeps Notre Dame linked with not only NBC, but with Comcast and the NBC Sports Network. The channel, estimated to penetrate 80 million homes, will broadcast the Blue-Gold Game this weekend. It will also show a Notre Dame football spring football feature. That follows programming of Irish hockey, lacrosse and basketball.

The article was talking about programming on NBC Sports the weekend of the ND spring game, nothing more.

See, you got all worried about nothing. :)

This ball was always in Syracuse's court anyway. It could have cancelled the Met Life deal and the contract would have spelled out the consequences, if any.

This really had nothing to do with ND at all except the identity of the potential Met Life opponent for Syracuse. ND wasn't holding a gun to anyone's head.

It looks like ND worked with Syracuse and the ACC to get this deal modified.

The ND/ACC partnership is going to be a good thing for all concerned.
ND is playing SU twice because they get neutral site games(instead of an ACC road game) in an alum hotbed 2 times in 3 years and not true road games. The only positive for SU is that they are controlling the gate, and will atleast profit from this arrangement. I and atleast half the SU fanbase aren't jumping up and down over this deal, but atleast we aren't having to play games in South Bend with neutral site games in NYC. ND didn't work with SU on this, SU probably told Swofford they had a contract with Metlife they didn't want to break and so the ACC gave SU a break, but won't get Notre Dame in the Carrier Dome until 2022ish. ND didn't work with SU on this, I don't blame them for doing what was in their best interest, but I wouldn't call this working with them. Instead of getting SU in 2015 they getting Pitt or BC to do the road game for them.

My apologies, wrong article.

Read this one:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/who_will_pay_syracuse_universi.html

Did you read about the part that the Athletic Department is a NET LOSER even after all money is figured in? ACC or otherwise.

"Most people believe that athletics generates money and helps support the university. That's not so," said Robert van Gulick, a member of the University Senate budget committee. “You’ve got 35 or 40 sports and only two of them (football and men’s basketball) are making money. Athletic scholarships are paid by financial aid, which is entirely financed by schools and colleges. If the athletics department had to pay for athletic scholarships, they’d be bankrupt.”

Point being that the school adn Athletic Department will not turn down additional money regardless of where it comes from. Especially 5 mil a year for playing a game in Metlife.

At the better run Athletic Departments, the money isn't coming entirely out of schools per se, but rather some of it is through endowments raised by the athletic department.

Northwestern has a 110 endowed athletic scholarships: http://www.nusports.com/genrel/endowed-scholars.html

Here is a listing of BC's endowed athletic scholarships: http://www.bceagles.com/boosters/bc-endowment-current-winners.html

And here is an ESPN article from 2009 about how if universities want to survive they will need to get well-endowed in terms of athletics, but athlete scholarships and coaching endowments. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?page=fish/091223

Cheers,
Neil

ND is playing SU twice because they get neutral site games(instead of an ACC road game) in an alum hotbed 2 times in 3 years and not true road games. The only positive for SU is that they are controlling the gate, and will atleast profit from this arrangement. I and atleast half the SU fanbase aren't jumping up and down over this deal, but atleast we aren't having to play games in South Bend with neutral site games in NYC. ND didn't work with SU on this, SU probably told Swofford they had a contract with Metlife they didn't want to break and so the ACC gave SU a break, but won't get Notre Dame in the Carrier Dome until 2022ish. ND didn't work with SU on this, I don't blame them for doing what was in their best interest, but I wouldn't call this working with them. Instead of getting SU in 2015 they getting Pitt or BC to do the road game for them.

Will you concede that this was a bilateral contract, not one imposed solely by ND at gunpoint? Syracuse was (and is) free to cancel the games at Met Life at any time.

ND is not just playing them "because they get neutral site games in an alum hotbed". ND is playing them because Syracuse also wants to play them at Met Life.

Will you concede that this was a bilateral contract, not one imposed solely by ND at gunpoint? Syracuse was (and is) free to cancel the games at Met Life at any time.

ND is not just playing them "because they get neutral site games in an alum hotbed". ND is playing them because Syracuse also wants to play them at Met Life.

These games are being played because Syracuse didn't realize the ACC invitation was coming and the crappy Big East media contract was paying them peanuts, and so Metlife offered SU a boatload of money to blame 14 games their over 20 years. Notre Dame wouldn't play Syracuse home/home in football so the SU AD took the paycheck from Metlife and ND agreed to a 4 game series. SU wouldn't have taken this deal if SU knew the ACC and 17 to 20 million dollars a year were coming. I don't sugarcoat how I don't like this deal, and it makes my university look bad. Let's play all SU-ND basketball games that are ND home games in Madison Square Garden, and then all SU home games at the Carrier Dome, and you see my point.

Listen, I don't blame ND for doing anything that is in there best interest, but SU had a contract with Metlife that ND had nothing to do with, and SU asked Swofford for help in not forcing them to cancel or postpone their contract. I think its funny that in ND's first 3 years of playing ACC games they are playing 8 home games, 5 road games, and 2 neutral site games. Obviously, ND didn't put a gun to SU's head, but the fact that SU stupidly agreed to that deal is why those games are being played. I don't blame ND one bit, but I wouldn't say they are a good thing for SU one bit as we look small time playing ND there when ND will play games at Wake Forest, Boston College, and Duke. SU obviously doesn't want to pay the buyout of the Metlife games or doesn't want to tick off the Metlife people to do so. If you don't think ND is happy with the fact they are going to be playing at Metlife rather than true road games you wouldn't be honest.