Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025. | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025.

Ok, so there will be no shockers from that area. One more piece of the puzzle in place. No surprise really, but not happy about this part:

“Specifically, the evolution of the NBC Sports Network has provided opportunities for special programming featuring inside looks at our football team and several other Notre Dame sports programs and in-depth profiles on the unsung heroes of Notre Dame athletics. "

That would have been prime ACC Network content.

Interesting. But it will be even more interesting to see how the WVU faithful interpret this news. Bet you it won't reflect well on the ACC.

Just wanted to be one of the first people to post into a thread that is going to have 88 pages.

Realistically Notre Dame just killed any chance for an ACC network to be successful. With the SEC network announcement upcoming with ESPN the chance that ESPN is going to go to bat for 2 networks with cable carriers is highly unlikely. ESPN will get a s#it for the SEC network, but because of their football brand it will be easier to sell if the ACC network had Notre Dame under the ESPN umbrella it would have atleast been a little easier, but now that Notre Dame resigned with NBC then the ACC network is doomed to fail. It will still be invested and probably created, but it will fail because ESPN won't want to leverage it and without the benefit of Notre Dame 3rd tier football rights its worth a lot less in ESPN's mind.
This news is a major league kick in the nuts and confirms Notre Dame is POS and only cares about Notre Dame. The ACC won't add Notre Dame as a full time member either IMO because of this news.

Poor Arb. Looks like his source doesn't know what they're talking about.

Edit: After re-reading his last post it says they were trying to get ACC v. ND games on the network. Which they can still try and get the ND road games. So it looks like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Did anyone really expect ND to do anything for the ACC? They are a cancer. All the talk of ND joining the ACC for football.. yea right when pigs fly and I win the Mega Lotto.

Notre Dame being Notre Dame. Didn't help the Big East, won't help the ACC. They are a cancer to a conference and the ACC would be better off without them.

Realistically Notre Dame just killed any chance for an ACC network to be successful. With the SEC network announcement upcoming with ESPN the chance that ESPN is going to go to bat for 2 networks with cable carriers is highly unlikely. ESPN will get a s#it for the SEC network, but because of their football brand it will be easier to sell if the ACC network had Notre Dame under the ESPN umbrella it would have atleast been a little easier, but now that Notre Dame resigned with NBC then the ACC network is doomed to fail. It will still be invested and probably created, but it will fail because ESPN won't want to leverage it and without the benefit of Notre Dame 3rd tier football rights its worth a lot less in ESPN's mind.
This news is a major league kick in the nuts and confirms Notre Dame is POS and only cares about Notre Dame. The ACC won't add Notre Dame as a full time member either IMO because of this news.

I'm not sure that's totally true. I don't think anyone was making any assumptions going forward that ND football home games would be part of an ACC network. It does look disappointing that some auxiliary content won't be available though.

At the same time, theoretically the ACC Network would still have Notre Dame basketball, baseball and other sports. That's better for the network than NOT having them. Reports are that the fact-finding aspect of the ACC Network are well underway, and it's hard to imagine they have gone that far on the assumption ND football would be part of it.

That said, this does close the door on the hope that ND was going to join all in sometime in the next five years. That was probably not going to happen anyway, so maybe it's just as well we go about fixing the conference based on what we have and what is real.

Honestly, I am thoroughly disgusted from a Syracuse perspective we aren't going to benefit at all by Notre Dame's inclusion in this conference. I mean we should be happy we are out of the Big East, but when you get screwed I don't think you should sit back and hope it gets better. I realize we have a contract to play Notre Dame 4 times in the upcoming years, but Notre Dame is going to use those games as part of their 5 game commitment to the ACC and as a result its going to be a LONG time before we ever see Notre Dame play a football game at the Dome, and the fact Notre Dame can't even help its conference with a small token and help the ACC network be potentially successful by signing with ESPN makes me ripping mad at Notre Dame.

Now SU's ACC home games against ND will definitely have to be played at the Dome. The games at the Meadowlands will need to be OOC affairs.

I'm not sure that's totally true. I don't think anyone was making any assumptions going forward that ND football home games would be part of an ACC network. It does look disappointing that some auxiliary content won't be available though.

At the same time, theoretically the ACC Network would still have Notre Dame basketball, baseball and other sports. That's better for the network than NOT having them. Reports are that the fact-finding aspect of the ACC Network are well underway, and it's hard to imagine they have gone that far on the assumption ND football would be part of it.

That said, this does close the door on the hope that ND was going to join all in sometime in the next five years. That was probably not going to happen anyway, so maybe it's just as well we go about fixing the conference based on what we have and what is real.
NBC Sports Network and ESPN HATE each other how is NBC going to allow Notre Dame to have its rebroadcasts of its games, and other related content to the football team be available to a direct competitor in ESPN with an ACC network. That is what I meant by 3rd tier rights ALL Notre Dame home games are going to be on basic TV a la ABC or NBC, but by resigning with NBC they F'ed over the content the ACC is going to need for an ACC network NBC is going to do ESPN absolutely ZERO favors.
Edit: Also, I highly doubt an ACC network gives a crap about ND basketball, or baseball. The ND football content was needed for the network to have a chance to be successful nationally because of interest in ND. NBC Sports Network is not going to give an ESPN affiliated network any access to this stuff and help a competitor and hurt them with Comcast owned cable outlets to carry an ACC network on their platforms.

NBC Sports Network and ESPN HATE each other how is NBC going to allow Notre Dame to have its rebroadcasts of its games, and other related content to the football team be available to a direct competitor in ESPN with an ACC network. That is what I meant by 3rd tier rights ALL Notre Dame home games are going to be on basic TV a la ABC or NBC, but by resigning with NBC they F'ed over the content the ACC is going to need for an ACC network NBC is going to do ESPN absolutely ZERO favors.

I agree with that. Would have been better if ND had signed with ESPN. But I can't believe that the ACC was expecting any different. Notre Dame has never made any pronouncements to the contrary, and said months ago that a NBC renewal was close.

I think people that were anticipating Notre Dame joining all in soon were guilty of wishful thinking. I have my problems with ACC leadership, but I have to think they have been aware of the reality.

Is anyone really surprised by this? They just went undefeated and appeared in the national championship game. Ahead of schedule for the new coach, who by the way, seems to win everywhere he goes. This was inevitable, ACC or not. And I'm sure the ACC was well aware.

Edit: Also, I highly doubt an ACC network gives a crap about ND basketball, or baseball. The ND football content was needed for the network to have a chance to be successful nationally because of interest in ND. NBC Sports Network is not going to give an ESPN affiliated network any access to this stuff and help a competitor and hurt them with Comcast owned cable outlets to carry an ACC network on their platforms.
I also think you are jumping the gun. Let's see how everything plays out.

Reactions: 007
Is anyone really surprised by this? They just went undefeated and appeared in the national championship game. Ahead of schedule for the new coach, who by the way, seems to win everywhere he goes. This was inevitable, ACC or not. And I'm sure the ACC was well aware.
I am shocked I thought Notre Dame being the greedy SOBs they are would let their K expire and test the market in free agency. It would have gotten them big offers from CBS, ABC/ESPN, FOX as well as NBC and even if they intended to remain with NBC it would atleast allowed them to have the excuse that NBC made them the best offer. This deal really hurts the ACC's network and content it needed to be successful nationally. I would have played all SU home games at Metlife and sucked that up if ND committed to ESPN/ABC and helped the ACC out, but now the ACC will become vulnerable again without a successful network.

I also think you are jumping the gun. Let's see how everything plays out.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/03/04/Media/ESPN-Fox.aspx
An indelible image of the unique bond between these two came in the summer of 2011, when ESPN and Fox executives traveled to Switzerland to complete bids for the Olympics’ media rights. While NBC executives holed up in their suite at Lausanne’s Palace Hotel waiting to hear if they won the rights, ESPN and Fox executives socialized together in the lobby bar, laughing with each other and swapping stories

I do a little homework before I post, I am not saying I am right I am being a realistic ESPN and FOX get along. ESPN and FOX respect each other, but neither of them like NBC. Why is NBC going to help a competitor form a new network and then have that network jammed on them with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC network on its parent company (Comcast) shoulders?

be calm...end of story not yet told...more coming on the ACC Network...soon.
At least let us know whether the folks in the ACC were aware that in the end ND was going to re-sign with NBC. They could not have not seen that coming, right? Surely any talk of an ACC network could not have reasonably expected to include ND home games and/or the rights to re-broadcast those home games and would have only included ABC/ESPN's rights to ND away games. Is this incorrect?

I am shocked I thought Notre Dame being the greedy SOBs they are would let their K expire and test the market in free agency. It would have gotten them big offers from CBS, ABC/ESPN, FOX as well as NBC and even if they intended to remain with NBC it would atleast allowed them to have the excuse that NBC made them the best offer. This deal really hurts the ACC's network and content it needed to be successful nationally. I would have played all SU home games at Metlife and sucked that up if ND committed to ESPN/ABC and helped the ACC out, but now the ACC will become vulnerable again without a successful network.
holy cow dude - lighten up - the ACC network will not fail just because those ass-clowns didn't sign on

the ACC network will be just fine - it wasn't being built based on having ND as a full member in football. sheesh, talk about being overly dramatic

Honestly, I am thoroughly disgusted from a Syracuse perspective we aren't going to benefit at all by Notre Dame's inclusion in this conference. I mean we should be happy we are out of the Big East, but when you get screwed I don't think you should sit back and hope it gets better. I realize we have a contract to play Notre Dame 4 times in the upcoming years, but Notre Dame is going to use those games as part of their 5 game commitment to the ACC and as a result its going to be a LONG time before we ever see Notre Dame play a football game at the Dome, and the fact Notre Dame can't even help its conference with a small token and help the ACC network be potentially successful by signing with ESPN makes me ripping mad at Notre Dame.
love the irrational homerism.

fwiw: 1914 & 2003 represent the ND at Syracuse dates.

1963 they played the Stadium in the Bronx.

gonna really suck not having that long time rival on the schedule at the Dome...

wait, we have already lined up 3 more games and are guaranteed to play them 1x every 3 years after that? oh....

the ACC will be fine.

Oh Lord

holy cow dude - lighten up - the ACC network will not fail just because those ass-clowns didn't sign on

the ACC network will be just fine - it wasn't being built based on having ND as a full member in football. sheesh, talk about being overly dramatic
Note: What I am posting is my opinion it doesn't mean its fact and I don't want people claiming I am saying I am the law and what I see is right its my opinion and here is the disclaimer.

For a network to be successful there either has to be a demand i.e. sadly SEC football has created a brand that I can respect even though I think it is top heavy OR have a partner willing to lose short term money i.e. FOX with the Big Ten Network. FOX lost money in the first couple of years, but because it was a partnership and they have weathered the storm and are able to broadcast a lot of events and are on the basic tier cable platform in every state the B1G has a team has helped that network stablitize. The Pac-12 network works because that conference owns the West Coast. The ACC is vulnerable right now from the B1G and SEC. North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Florida State are valued differently by both of these conferences to create new revenue streams in new markets. The only way for the ACC to remain intact is for the conference members to be satisfied with their payouts. That is why the ACC network was needed to keep the teams above in simliar financial positions of those teams in the other big conferences. I don't expect the ACC network to be the best, but Notre Dame football matters nationally whether I or anybody cares about it. Notre Dame home football is now controlled by NBC Sports till 2025. Notre Dame's replay of home games, coaches shows, weekly recap would have been very valuable nationally to an ACC network.
I don't care if ND is a full member of not, but the ACC Network is going to be hard to startup without help from ESPN. ESPN owns all 3rd tier rights to ACC games and a lot of that would go on the ACC network. I realize the ACC is probably going to have buy back those rights from ESPN which won't be hard as long as we give them a percentage of the network is fair and realistic, but for the network to be on basic cable with the SEC network, BTN, and Pac-12 network will be difficult without ESPN helping. Having ND under the ESPN umbrella would have made the network happy and probably made them more conducive to helping the conference out now without ND on board it will be more difficult.

love the irrational homerism.

fwiw: 1914 & 2003 represent the ND at Syracuse dates.

1963 they played the Stadium in the Bronx.

gonna really suck not having that long time rival on the schedule at the Dome...

wait, we have already lined up 3 more games and are guaranteed to play them 1x every 3 years after that? oh....

the ACC will be fine.

Oh Lord
I never said they were a rival, but if they are a partner they should give their partner a little respect. Do you think Wake Forest or Duke are going to play their home games in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium. If we are going to play them in 2014 at Metlife, 2015 in SB, then the 2nd contracted game in Metlife in 2017 and 2nd SB in 2018. You are looking at 2020 before ND plays a game in the Dome "some partner." Let's move all of ND's home basketball games to MSG because SU doesn't need to play ND like ND football doesn't need to play SU. I am talking about the fact the ACC Network is going to get boned by NBC from using any ND home football stuff, coaches show, or weekly recap shows as NBC will control that stuff, and NBC won't throw the ACC any favors because of ESPN.

Note: What I am posting is my opinion it doesn't mean its fact and I don't want people claiming I am saying I am the law and what I see is right its my opinion and here is the disclaimer.

For a network to be successful there either has to be a demand i.e. sadly SEC football has created a brand that I can respect even though I think it is top heavy OR have a partner willing to lose short term money i.e. FOX with the Big Ten Network. FOX lost money in the first couple of years, but because it was a partnership and they have weathered the storm and are able to broadcast a lot of events and are the basic tier cable platform in every state the B1G has a team has helped that network stablitize. The Pac-12 network works because that conferences owns the West Coast. The ACC is vulnerable right now from the B1G and SEC. North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Florida State are valued differently by both of these conferences to create new revenue streams in new markets. The only way for the ACC to remain intact is for the conference members to be satisfied with their payouts. That is why the ACC network was needed to keep the teams above in simliar financial positions of those teams in the other big conferences. I don't expect the ACC network to be the best, but Notre Dame football matters nationally whether I or anybody cares about it. Notre Dame home football is now controlled by NBC Sports till 2025. Notre Dame's replay of home games, coaches shows, weekly recap would have been very valuable nationally to an ACC network.
I don't care if ND is a full member of not, but the ACC Network is going to be hard to startup without help from ESPN. ESPN owns all 3rd tier rights to ACC games and a lot of that would go on the ACC network. I realize the ACC is probably going to have buy back those rights from ESPN which won't be hard as long as we give them a percentage of the network is fair and realistic, but for the network to be on basic cable with the SEC network, BTN, and Pac-12 network will be difficult without ESPN helping. Having ND under the ESPN umbrella would have made the network happy and probably made them more conducive to helping the conference out now without ND on board it will be more difficult.
Alsacs - there is no way that the ACC and ESPN didn't already know about this and were completely caught off guard with this announcement. They are building their plans for this network to be successful already knowing that they weren't going to have the ND football home games, but they would have multiple ND football games as part of their package each year.

The ACC and ESPN are tied together for a long time. ESPN will do whatever it needs to do to ensure the ACC remains successful and competitive with the other conferences. Take a few deep breaths and relax man.