Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread | Syracusefan.com

Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Curious why JB was so pissed at Howard after he took that floater in the lane? I thought it was actually a decent shot, just poor execution.

When he came to the bench JB seemed to be tearing into him, can only assume it was for that. Made me wonder if when JB is going apoplectic on a guy like that if the seniors are comfortable enough to have fun with it, or if everyone is just hiding and thinking sucks to be Franklin, but better him than me.

I wouldn't disagree with him taking that approach on shots from deep, but if he gets into the lane and doesn't have the green light to pull the trigger what the F is he doing out there?

Hopefully looking to pass?

He has 6 assists today which accounted for 12 points.

If he bricks a 10', he accounts for 0 points.

I don't understand Boeheim at all. After all the questionable shots he gives the green light to, then flips his lid at the floater. I love boeheim, but i don't always agree with his tantrums. I thought Howard played fantastic today. Was a difference maker while out there.

Hopefully looking to pass?

He has 6 assists today which accounted for 12 points.

If he bricks a 10', he accounts for 0 points.
2 were threes. And at least one pass accounted for free throws. He played great today. Im pretty frustrated with boeheims rants. Sometimes giving a kid some confidence isnt a bad thing.

So Boeheim wants to play 4v5 on offense
2 were threes. And at least one pass accounted for free throws. He played great today. Im pretty frustrated with boeheims rants. Sometimes giving a kid some confidence isnt a bad thing.
Franklin does a lot of good things. He's not a shooter (right now). He doesn't need to be. Why is that such a travesty?

Franklin does a lot of good things. He's not a shooter (right now). He doesn't need to be. Why is that such a travesty?
Im not sure why I was quoted? Im firmly on Howard's side here.

Because having a guy on the floor who isn't allowed to shoot is a terrible idea

Boeheim didn't say he wasn't allowed to shoot--he said he didn't want him taking mid-range floaters.

Big difference easily understood by everyone not intentionally trying to be obtuse.

Last edited:
Because having a guy on the floor who isn't allowed to shoot is a terrible idea
When Gottlieb was at Okie St, Sutton played 4 on 5 for two years, and they made an Elite Eight (in the Dome).

Curious why JB was so pissed at Howard after he took that floater in the lane? I thought it was actually a decent shot, just poor execution.

When he came to the bench JB seemed to be tearing into him, can only assume it was for that. Made me wonder if when JB is going apoplectic on a guy like that if the seniors are comfortable enough to have fun with it, or if everyone is just hiding and thinking sucks to be Franklin, but better him than me.

Agree, I didn't have an issue with the shot. Frank isn't a shot maker yet, but he has to stay aggressive out there. And he typically takes good ones.

But my god, Frank's passing. The no-look to Roberson from the top of the key in the first half was an absolute thing of beauty. He also found Malachi for the open three to cut the GTech lead from 53-49 to 53-52 with about 5 minutes left - the biggest shot of the game.

People complaining about his shooting don't get it - the kid's vision and passing provide desperately needed easy buckets in the half court. He makes great decisions for a frosh, and makes everyone around him better. I love the fact that JB seems to be warming up to using him more during critical stretches.

I don't understand how Boeheim is supposedly hurting his confidence.
I dunno man, but im pretty sure playing afraid to make a mistake is hurts his confidence a little bit. Id say Cooney takes about 9 questionable shots a game... He can afford 1 or 2 to Howard... Who is easily our best facilitator... By a lot.

I dunno man, but im pretty sure playing afraid to make a mistake is hurts his confidence a little bit. Id say Cooney takes about 9 questionable shots a game... He can afford 1 or 2 to Howard... Who is easily our best facilitator... By a lot.
I understand. But Boeheim has been doing that to freshmen (who aren't threats to be one-and-done's) for decades now. I really think Franklin will be fine.

I wouldn't disagree with him taking that approach on shots from deep, but if he gets into the lane and doesn't have the green light to pull the trigger what the F is he doing out there?
For all we know, every time Howard shoots that in practice it's a brick, so JB was livid he'd choose to do it in a game.

Boeheim joked that he would stay in the game more if he didn’t take so many bad 10-foot floaters. Howard’s 1-of-14 shooting clip in conference games is an indication of why he thinks that. But he did praise the freshman that has wrestled away the backup point guard spot from Kaleb Joseph. And Boeheim praise is tough to come by.

“It’s aways good when you can get a compliment from him,” Howard said. “I’m happy I made him proud.”

http://dailyorange.com/2016/01/fran...-in-syracuses-60-47-win-against-georgia-tech/

JB is about winning the game being played. Nothing else matters. Totally old school, last of his breed.

Today was just coaching Frank. JB obviously wasn't thrilled about the shot but it was hardly going crazy on Frank. The Notre Dame game - yes that was going apoplectic.

At the time it seemed like JB took the TO to tear into Howard. Spent half the timeout yelling at him. The entire time Mac and one of the players next to him patted Frank on the back helping him through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom