Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread

1/14 is a pretty pathetic sample size to judge anything on . I recall at least 3 , three pointers he took that were 1/2 way down and rimmed out the last several games
Your right so we will include 8 for 38 from the field .221% and 8 for 15 free throws for .533 % He is not a good shooter at this time, doesn't mean he can't contribute in other ways like he did today.

Also like others have mentioned it's the consistency in JBs coaching, or lack of, that bothers me the most. No way MCW should have taken a single jump shot his whole career here if JB wants players to stick to what they do best.

And while Howard did have a good game despite not shooting often you can bet in the future teams will be game planning on him not looking to score.

If his shooting stroke looked like Lydon's and he made shots in practice I don't think JB would mind. Right now i think his job is to give TC and G a few minutes rest each game. He will get time to shoot in his career. Besides, he had two amazing passes during the game. I think JB wants to stick to what he does best this year. Or maybe he just didn't hustle enough and missing the jump shot was coincidence.

I have no idea why anyone would think a 10 foot shot with no defense on him would be a bad shot. JB doesn't seem to care about the quality if the shot, just the fact he's taking them.
1 for 14 gives me an excellent idea why its a bad shot. If you can't make a shot it is not a quality shot. Coleman should not shoot open 3's even if the "D" allows it. Roberson can't hit the 10 to 15 footer so even though defenders give him that shot all the time, he rarely takes it. Howard right now should not shoot anything other than a layup. JB knows who makes what shots by now and what players should be taking the shots and from where. Rail all you want about JB but facts are facts and your opinions are not backed up by the facts in this case.

I'll say again I've seen JB far madder at guys than he was at Howard today. Hate to bring up this name, but if Howard just tries to play a similar role that Doug Gottlieb played at Oklahoma State, he'll be fine - except a higher FT percentage. 44% is just pathetic for Gottlieb.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html

1 for 14 gives me an excellent idea why its a bad shot. If you can't make a shot it is not a quality shot. Coleman should not shoot open 3's even if the "D" allows it. Roberson can't hit the 10 to 15 footer so even though defenders give him that shot all the time, he rarely takes it. Howard right now should not shoot anything other than a layup. JB knows who makes what shots by now and what players should be taking the shots and from where. Rail all you want about JB but facts are facts and your opinions are not backed up by the facts in this case.

I'm willing to bet that's not the case next year and beyond. This kid will be a good shooter. 6 assists and no turnovers (in just 14 minutes) and all anyone wants to whine about here is ONE MISSED SHOT. You all are beyond comprehension for me.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that's not the case next year and beyond. This kid will be a good shooter. 6 assists and no turnovers (in just 15 minutes) and all anyone wants to whine about here is ONE MISSED SHOT. You all are beyond comprehension for me.

To me it looks like his shots have a good chance of going in when he releases them..they just havent been. Its not a Patterson situation where the shot is three feet wide and 4 feet long from release.

To me it looks like his shots have a good chance of going in when he releases them..they just havent been. Its not a Patterson situation where the shot is three feet wide and 4 feet long from release.

I agree. He definitely has the potential.

Haha, that's laughable, as if motivating = teaching or thinking that all mistakes are simply a lack of motivation.

Do I think sometimes that Boeheim is too hard on his younger plays, sure. Do I simultaneously realize that Boeheim has an outstanding track record of developing young players and maintaining positive relationships with his players long after they are gone. Hell yes.

And in this specific instant, I have no problem with Boeheim being upset. It was a contested 10 foot floater relatively early in the shot clock. It's one of the worst shots in the game on a points per possession basis (check the chart below)--some players have earned the right to take that shot--either because of trust/experience or skill in that specific shot. Clearly Howard has not earned that right. If it was late in the shot clock, or a different shot (a layup etc.) it would be a different story

18b38a5d8ceb4d9f8fc47e4de4bfd02d.jpg

Per SWCs upside and downside post, there were 4 seconds left on the shot clock. Exactly what was the correct play for him? The two guys on his side of the court were closely guarded.

A few more mistakes could have cost us the game today. He will be very good but he needs to just do what JB wants for the time being.
Finally a voice of reason, don't shoot find the open man, it's what you do best. JAB knows exactly what he's got there.

He didn't need to shoot a floater. A jump stop and a normal jump shot would've worked, but no one ever does a proper jump stop in the year 2016 in college hoops.

Nobody makes 10 foot floaters 95 out of 100 times, even in practice. There's a lot of data showing that 10 foot shots are some of the trickiest and most difficult in the game. They look like layups but are no easier than 15-20 foot shots.
He didn't need to shoot a floater. A jump stop and a normal jump shot would've worked, but no one ever does a proper jump stop in the year 2016 in college hoops.
I think fh is going to be a special player, all I have to say

Finally a voice of reason, don't shoot find the open man, it's what you do best. JAB knows exactly what he's got there.

In that situation, he did exactly what he needed to do. 4 seconds left on the shot clock and he's right there. If he had passed out and there was a shot clock violation, JB would have pulled him and complained about him not being aware of the situation.

He's JB's designated whipping boy this year. I'm hoping his will is strong and he comes out of it a better player next year, because I think he's going to be pretty good.

I dunno man, but im pretty sure playing afraid to make a mistake is hurts his confidence a little bit. Id say Cooney takes about 9 questionable shots a game... He can afford 1 or 2 to Howard... Who is easily our best facilitator... By a lot.
Yeah, JB has beaten all the confidence out of the kid to the point that he was only able to rack up 6 assists today. He might have had twice that many if JB actually knew how to motivate and coach.

In that situation, he did exactly what he needed to do. 4 seconds left on the shot clock and he's right there. If he had passed out and there was a shot clock violation, JB would have pulled him and complained about him not being aware of the situation.

He's JB's designated whipping boy this year. I'm hoping his will is strong and he comes out of it a better player next year, because I think he's going to be pretty good.
Yeah, I can see coach getting upset if there are 14 seconds left on the shot clock, but 4? Howard may have been more aware of the game situation than coach was.

With his height/skill set, the floater is a good shot for the kid, let him freakin take them... Maybe get some tips from Josh Pace...

Yeah, JB has beaten all the confidence out of the kid to the point that he was only able to rack up 6 assists today. He might have had twice that many if JB actually knew how to motivate and coach.
Clearly you're over dramatizing my intention. All I am saying is, flying off the handle isn't necessary. Kid played great, that floater was far from the worst shot attempted today.

Clearly you're over dramatizing my intention. All I am saying is, flying off the handle isn't necessary. Kid played great, that floater was far from the worst shot attempted today.
If you can't understand why JB might view Howard taking that shot differently than he would Gbinije, Cooney or Richardson taking the same shot in exactly the same circumstance, I can't help you.

If you can't understand why JB might view Howard taking that shot differently than he would Gbinije, Cooney or Richardson taking the same shot in exactly the same circumstance, I can't help you.

I'm not sure why you are pressing this one so much. 4 seconds left on the shot clock. What was the preferred action?

I went back and watched the shot again and had two thoughts. #1. The shot clock was winding down, so it's hard to have a problem with Howard taking a shot in that situation. #2. The shot was way worse than I remembered. It wasn't just a floater, it was a semi-contested turn-around floater from more like 15 feet that he took with little to no momentum toward the rim. I don't know Frank Howard's game, but I can't remember a player, NBA or college making a shot like that.

Anyhow, I think strong statements either way on the viability of the shot are a little silly. It was a tough situation. He probably had to shoot, but chose a poor option for how to shoot. Whatever, big deal. Boeheim didn't like the shot, would have preferred something different. Also nothing to see here.

I went back and watched the shot again and had two thoughts. #1. The shot clock was winding down, so it's hard to have a problem with Howard taking a shot in that situation. #2. The shot was way worse than I remembered. It wasn't just a floater, it was a semi-contested turn-around floater from more like 15 feet that he took with little to no momentum toward the rim. I don't know Frank Howard's game, but I can't remember a player, NBA or college making a shot like that.

Anyhow, I think strong statements either way on the viability of the shot are a little silly. It was a tough situation. He probably had to shoot, but chose a poor option for how to shoot. Whatever, big deal. Boeheim didn't like the shot, would have preferred something different. Also nothing to see here.

Definitely remember some hesitation, probably because he knew he had to take the shot but wasn't sure about how to do it. He'll learn from it and move on. We all should as well. Thanks for looking again and providing some clarity.

Yeah, I can see coach getting upset if there are 14 seconds left on the shot clock, but 4? Howard may have been more aware of the game situation than coach was.

That entire set/possession was stagnant. Howard recognized the shot clock winding down and made an aggressive move/drive towards the basket and took the shot with just a few seconds left as noted. Howard looked confident and under control the entire time and that shot had a very legit chance of going in, just a bit short armed it. JB could've just as easily gave Howard praise for recognizing the clock, his awareness and aggressive nature there in getting off a decent shot under the circumstances of that moment.

I'm not sure why you are pressing this one so much. 4 seconds left on the shot clock. What was the preferred action?
He was probably in a no-win situation. My main point in all of this is that he hasn't earned the leeway JB allows others. I'm okay with that, while others here clearly are not. I'd much prefer to savor the win and look at the many positives that I saw today rather than analyze a single play ad nauseum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom