Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Obligatory why was JB so mad at Howard thread

Boeheim chewed him out last game and then guess what? He had one of his best games of the year. Me thinks that JB knows how to motivate his players. Credit to Frank for keeping at it and improving.

I also saw JB bury his head in his hands after Lydon's crummy floater. The difference is that Lydon can be a double digit scorer. Chewing out Lydon would have a negative effect on our chance to win.

If he was such a good motivator he wouldn't have to keep yelling at him for the same "mistakes" over and over.

Also like others have mentioned it's the consistency in JBs coaching, or lack of, that bothers me the most. No way MCW should have taken a single jump shot his whole career here if JB wants players to stick to what they do best.

And while Howard did have a good game despite not shooting often you can bet in the future teams will be game planning on him not looking to score.

And how is he supposed to improve his shooting and defense if he's sitting on the bench? Practice is nothing like a real game.

A few more mistakes could have cost us the game today. He will be very good but he needs to just do what JB wants for the time being.
One more mistake could have cost us the game.

And how is he supposed to improve his shooting and defense if he's sitting on the bench? Practice is nothing like a real game.
I know you get way more reps in practice not even close.

Because having a guy on the floor who isn't allowed to shoot is a terrible idea
What about letting a guy shoot who can't? There's a thing called defense. There's a thing called setting up teammates. There's a thing like taking it all the way to the rim or just don't shoot. An occasional rebound helps too. There are lots of ways to contribute and offense is just one end of the floor.

Last edited:
But the reps aren't of the same caliber.
You don't learn how to shoot in games. I understand games are played at a higher intensity level and that's next step at building your confidence.

What about letting a guy shoot who can't? There's a thing called defense. There's a thing called setting up teammates. There's a thing like taking it all the way to the rim or just don't shoot. An occasional rebound helps too. There are lots of ways to contribute and offense is just one end of the floor.

He does all those things and pretty well at that. He's tentative with his shot (EDIT - TYPING ON A PHONE SUCKS) because he's afraid his coach is going to stroke out if he misses. Once he stops caring about JB getting mad at him he'll start burying those shots with ease.

Last edited:
If he was such a good motivator he wouldn't have to keep yelling at him for the same "mistakes" over and over.
Haha, that's laughable, as if motivating = teaching or thinking that all mistakes are simply a lack of motivation.

Do I think sometimes that Boeheim is too hard on his younger plays, sure. Do I simultaneously realize that Boeheim has an outstanding track record of developing young players and maintaining positive relationships with his players long after they are gone. Hell yes.

And in this specific instant, I have no problem with Boeheim being upset. It was a contested 10 foot floater relatively early in the shot clock. It's one of the worst shots in the game on a points per possession basis (check the chart below)--some players have earned the right to take that shot--either because of trust/experience or skill in that specific shot. Clearly Howard has not earned that right. If it was late in the shot clock, or a different shot (a layup etc.) it would be a different story

18b38a5d8ceb4d9f8fc47e4de4bfd02d.jpg

He's never going to be able to get to the rim because teams will play off him knowing he isn't allowed to shoot.

How? How does allowing players to make mistakes make them better?

I'd say teaching Howard the difference between a good shot and a bad shot will make him better.

I have no idea why anyone would think a 10 foot shot with no defense on him would be a bad shot. JB doesn't seem to care about the quality if the shot, just the fact he's taking them.

Haha, that's laughable, as if motivating = teaching or thinking that all mistakes are simply a lack of motivation.

Do I think sometimes that Boeheim is too hard on his younger plays, sure. Do I simultaneously realize that Boeheim has an outstanding track record of developing young players and maintaining positive relationships with his players long after they are gone. Hell yes.

And in this specific instant, I have no problem with Boeheim being upset. It was a contested 10 foot floater relatively early in the shot clock. It's one of the worst shots in the game on a points per possession basis (check the chart below)--some players have earned the right to take that shot--either because of trust/experience or skill in that specific shot. Clearly Howard has not earned that right. If it was late in the shot clock, or a different shot (a layup etc.) it would be a different story

18b38a5d8ceb4d9f8fc47e4de4bfd02d.jpg

Yeah and like I said the other players earning the right is bull.

I have no idea why anyone would think a 10 foot shot with no defense on him would be a bad shot. JB doesn't seem to care about the quality if the shot, just the fact he's taking them.
We must remember that play differently. I distinctly remember him altering his release a little bit because of a weakside shot-blocker. It looked a little awkward to me. Someone should go back and upload a gif or something.

1/14 is a pretty pathetic sample size to judge anything on . I recall at least 3 , three pointers he took that were 1/2 way down and rimmed out the last several games

How? How does allowing players to make mistakes make them better?

I'd say teaching Howard the difference between a good shot and a bad shot will make him better.
Teaching is one thing,

We must remember that play differently. I distinctly remember him altering his release a little bit because of a weakside shot-blocker. It looked a little awkward to me. Someone should go back and upload a gif or something.

He just short armed it. I'd bet he makes that 95 times out of a hundred. The defender kind of stumbled if I remember correctly.

Yeah and like I said the other players earning the right is bull.
How? If you're Greg Popovich and Manu Ginobili takes a contested long 2 early in the shot clock, Pop is gonna tell him on the sideline but not yank him. If Kyle Anderson does, Pop might yank him, and he'd definitely give him a piece of his mind. Why? Because Pop knows that Ginobili knows that it's a bad shot, and players just make mistakes or lose self-control occasionally. Pop might not be sure that Anderson understands that the shot was bad. He's worried he's gonna do it again. Furthermore, players earn your trust because they don't often make mistakes. Pop has a past track record to know that Ginobili isn't going to do that a lot. Anderson doesn't have the same track record. For SU, Gbinije knows what a good and bad shot are. Does Howard? Maybe, but maybe not, and I think that Boeheim has a better handle of Howard's thought BB awareness than you or I do.

He just short armed it. I'd bet he makes that 95 times out of a hundred. The defender kind of stumbled if I remember correctly.
Nobody makes 10 foot floaters 95 out of 100 times, even in practice. There's a lot of data showing that 10 foot shots are some of the trickiest and most difficult in the game. They look like layups but are no easier than 15-20 foot shots.

It's pretty simple a 10 ft shot by a good shooter is good. A 10 ft shot by a bad shooter is bad.

1/14 is a pretty pathetic sample size to judge anything on . I recall at least 3 , three pointers he took that were 1/2 way down and rimmed out the last several games

He understands basketball.

It's pretty simple a 10 ft shot by a good shooter is good. A 10 ft shot by a bad shooter is bad.

I'm not sure what you understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom