Obokoh- yikes!!!! | Syracusefan.com

Obokoh- yikes!!!!

Dcuse

All Conference
Made Rak look like Olajuwan last night. Needs a ton of work at Camp Hopkins.

maybe its a diversion. Maybe Chin will be the defensive player of the year :x

That's not good at all. He's going to be counted on for a good number of minutes in all games. Only alternative is CM at backup center??

For most players its a HUGE jump from high school to college.
That's one reason why there's a often a huge step up from a player's freshman to sophomore years.

Still, after a redshirt year, you would expect him to play halfway decent defense at least. Particularly on a guy who he practices against every day!

For most players its a HUGE jump from high school to college.
That's one reason why there's a often a huge step up from a player's freshman to sophomore years.
Maybe that was true in the 80's... With year round prep hoops, no reason a player should not earn his scholarship in his first year. I won't even say anything about him having a full red shirt year to strengthen and learn the zone...

Rak is a senior, who's been a four year starter. Obokoh hasn't played to this point of his collegiate career, and is somewhat of a project.

Chillax.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

He didn't play in a game last year, hence he redshirted.

The roster on ESPN does show him as a sophomore, but that can't be correct.

Rak is a senior, who's been a four year starter. Obokoh hasn't played to this point of his collegiate career, and is somewhat of a project.

Chillax.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
Yeah agreed. It's also nice to know that even without DC2, we have a third or second option in McCullough. He even said so in an interview yesterday, mentioning that he was going up against Roc at the 5 at times. So at least he's going through the motions. From top to bottom, we have question marks. But I think leadership comes in Christmas and Cooney and we figure it out.

Guarantee one or two of the freshmen/sophs are jittery, don't get as much run as spots 1-6. But it doesn't mean they won't learn on the court and have their moments. We are making the tournament this year. Even if we struggle an exhibition against Carleton. ;)

He didn't play in a game last year, hence he redshirted.

The roster on ESPN does show him as a sophomore, but that can't be correct.
It is correct. NCAA took the redshirt away from him due to high school academics and age. They might appeal but not sure about that anymore.

Maybe that was true in the 80's... With year round prep hoops, no reason a player should not earn his scholarship in his first year. I won't even say anything about him having a full red shirt year to strengthen and learn the zone...
Good point about a year of practice.
It should count for a lot.
But even with year-round playing it is a big step up to a major college program.
Aside from any strength or conditioning issues, it takes time and effort to learn a new system.
And Boeheim does have his own system...one that I imagine is a lot tougher to learn than others.

And how long did it take Roc to get to this point in his career? Big men take time. This big man has never played in a college game. What do you think he should be capable of contributing?

It was an exhibition - defense is entirely secondary in an exhibition game at a Midnight Madness event.

realorange said:
And how long did it take Roc to get to this point in his career? Big men take time. This big man has never played in a college game. What do you think he should be capable of contributing?

Understandable, but we don't have time for him to mature.

With Rak's foul history, we've got issues.

Understandable, but we don't have time for him to mature.

With Rak's foul history, we've got issues.
In past years, Rak was the "inexperienced underclassman" and was often on the wrong end of poor officiating. This year, he will be a senior star and get LeBron treatment from the refs.

In past years, Rak was the "inexperienced underclassman" and was often on the wrong end of poor officiating. This year, he will be a senior star and get LeBron treatment from the refs.
No one is just handed a "rep" overnight, you have to earn it... Rak has not done that so far...

With Coleman's situation, you do understand as an SU fan that Obokoh will need to be on the court this year...right? It isn't what I think he should be capable of contributing. It's what he HAS to contribute this year.

With Coleman's situation, you do understand as an SU fan that Obokoh will need to be on the court this year...right? It isn't what I think he should be capable of contributing. It's what he HAS to contribute this year.
JB does not play warm bodies. He won't play Obokoh if he's not ready.

realorange said:
JB does not play warm bodies. He won't play Obokoh if he's not ready.

CM as a backup center is a scary thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom