Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

Yes and no. As others have mentioned in some other threads, this was NOT the time or the place. It shouldn't have been decided by ANYONE at ANY level to do this after a 1st round ACC tourney loss. They should have found a way to delay, or do it prior. So many coaches retire and finish the season. Big Farewell tour? No but how about a WF sellout for his most devoted followers. Advance notification for the kids. So everyone in the department knew he was retiring except the players? It's not the complete f-up I originally thought but I think they could have done better from the very start.

This idea that the program refused to give him a big farewell with a big sellout is laughable. That didn't happen because he wouldn't go along with it, simple as that. This is common sense.

If all this other side of it is true, I just do not get why JB would choose to exit this way. It does not make much sense.

Because he didn't want to exit at all.

Yes and no. As others have mentioned in some other threads, this was NOT the time or the place. It shouldn't have been decided by ANYONE at ANY level to do this after a 1st round ACC tourney loss. They should have found a way to delay, or do it prior. So many coaches retire and finish the season. Big Farewell tour? No but how about a WF sellout for his most devoted followers. Advance notification for the kids. So everyone in the department knew he was retiring except the players? It's not the complete f-up I originally thought but I think they could have done better from the very start.

I think the problem is the coach wasn't on board with it from the start but played along to some degree. But he didn't want to go.

You can plan whatever scenario events you want, but if he decided to go rogue and not play to script, it really doesn't matter.

That is HIS choice... to throw a monkey wrench in the script and force the school to pivot and rewrite the release removing retirement, kind words for Red, etc. and stating his tenure is over and Red's in charge.

He went out the way he wanted to go - as a complete PITA and difficult - like so many predicted.

None of us have to like it and let's be honest, he got what he wanted if you blame the school for it.

Last edited:
In my years, I've learned one thing. Perception becomes reality. I mentioned my casual basketball fan status for a reason. I'm seeing this the way all the people not on this board are seeing it. The TV personalities, the recruits, the other casual fans, maybe even the players families? Nobody has access to all this inside info. It LOOKS bad from the outside. Like we just kicked a hall of famer to the curb with a 'Meh, times change' attitude.

That's because most of the national media don't know the real Jim Boeheim. Ask anyone who ever covered him locally and they'll tell you he was a total jerk and a pain in the ass to cover, but ask them how he treated the national media and they'll tell you he was a total darling for them.

The program would have benefitted tremendously from a big send off. I mean, for starters, they'd have sold 10 to 15,000 more seats for the final game. Shoot, probably could have put the court at the 50-yardline and opened the whole thing up. They'd have gotten a couple days of great press, rounds of farewell interviews on national media for Boeheim, and others from all the living legends of 'Cuse basketball. The program would have been talked about positively during March Madness with highlight reels and all that.

Instead they got pretty much the opposite of all that. The national media can't imagine Boeheim saying no to all of that, and they don't realize what an ass he can be, so they assume the school did it to him for no logical reason. But if you know what an ass he is, and know that the curmudgeon thing isn't some act, then you realize that he's exactly the type to passive-aggressively say no to all that to spite the school for forcing him out.

Haven't been on the board in months, but appreciate the clarification
JB lobbied for GMAC 3-4 years ago. Was told “no”.

But I was also under the impression that he came around to supporting Red, in part to ensure it was kept ”in the family” as there were rumblings of doing an full blown search.

I think the problem is the coach wasn't on board with it from the start but played along to some degree. But he didn't want to go.

You can plan whatever scenario events you want, but if he decided to go rogue and not play to script, it really doesn't matter.

That is HIS choice... to throw a monkey wrench in the script and force the school to pivot and rewrite the release removing retirement, kind words for Red, etc. and stating his tenure is over and Red's in charge.

He went out the way he wanted to go - a complete PITA and difficult - like so many predicted.

None of us have to like it and let's be honest, he got what he wanted if you blame the school for it.
Not just me. Seeing some rumblings out there that the University botched this. Just wanted to share the view from the casual seats.

But, JB won it, didn't he?

He deserved whatever rope he wanted.

However, yes, if he was directly told that you are done after the last game this season and Red is your replacement and we want you to do xyz and if you do 321 instead we will go nuclear on you, then yes, I might understand Wildhacks actions.

Save for Crouthamel, I view the ADs as stuffed shirts. The coaches and players do the real work.
He had so much rope that he hung him self with it. The writing was on the wall for months if not years. They gave him every chance to bow out with dignity, more of a chance than he’s afforded a lot of his players. I’m even convinced that yesterday they thought he was going to leave in a dignified manner but at some point grand pa is driving the car off a cliff and you gotta forcibly separate him from the steering wheel .

K's retirement tour was completely and totally embarrassing by a man whose ego was so out of wack he thought it was deserved.

Would it have been nice if JB said "this is it, I'm retired"? Absolutely. But did you really expect it to happen? And did you really expect it to be this year either?
Lol.. how many ships did he win? How big would our guys ego be if he had won that many ?

Not just me. Seeing some rumblings out there that the University botched this. Just wanted to share the view from the casual seats.

They did what they had to do because of what JAB did in the presser.

There are plenty of JB apologists for whom he can do no wrong, so it has to be the school's fault. Not a legit take IMO.

This idea that the program refused to give him a big farewell with a big sellout is laughable. That didn't happen because he wouldn't go along with it, simple as that. This is common sense.

Because he didn't want to exit at all.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? If it were up to him, JB would literally coach until he died on the court.

Because he didn’t want to leave, that’s 100% why things played out the way they did. And that’s ALL on JAB.

That's because most of the national media don't know the real Jim Boeheim. Ask anyone who ever covered him locally and they'll tell you he was a total jerk and a pain in the ass to cover, but ask them how he treated the national media and they'll tell you he was a total darling for them.

The program would have benefitted tremendously from a big send off. I mean, for starters, they'd have sold 10 to 15,000 more seats for the final game. Shoot, probably could have put the court at the 50-yardline and opened the whole thing up. They'd have gotten a couple days of great press, rounds of farewell interviews on national media for Boeheim, and others from all the living legends of 'Cuse basketball. The program would have been talked about positively during March Madness with highlight reels and all that.

Instead they got pretty much the opposite of all that. The national media can't imagine Boeheim saying no to all of that, and they don't realize what an ass he can be, so they assume the school did it to him for no logical reason. But if you know what an ass he is, and know that the curmudgeon thing isn't some act, then you realize that he's exactly the type to passive-aggressively say no to all that to spite the school for forcing him out.

That’s how it SHOULD have gone down, and again JB only has himself to blame for why it didn’t happen that way. Not SU.

Lol.. how many ships did he win? How big would our guys ego be if he had won that many ?
Doesn't matter. Let Duke do a retirement ceremony for him. Forcing other schools to kneel and kiss the ring was absurd and if K had a modicum of respect and self awareness he wouldn't have done it that way.

Not to mention the holier than thou attitude, checking kids in the handshake line, buying cars for recruits, etc etc. Screw him

This needs to be fixed quickly and relayed positively to the public.

Most casual fans in my life think it was time for him to go but unnecessary for the announcement to be like that.

We are all lucky enough to have this great insider information that paints a different picture where these casual fans see it differently.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? If it were up to him, JB would literally coach until he died on the court.

Because he didn’t want to leave, that’s 100% why things played out the way they did. And that’s ALL on JAB.
Nah, it would be even worse .

Attachments

• 982A6766-C882-4519-A01E-FE41667FFC74.gif
    982A6766-C882-4519-A01E-FE41667FFC74.gif
    98.8 KB · Views: 26
Yeah, because letting a bunch of teens know something top secret like this, totally wouldn’t have gotten out. :rolleyes:
Everyone on the board supposedly knew, seems like the only people who didn’t were the ones on the court. And those were adults who leaked that info

Last edited:
The fact that the university supposedly had this plan in the works for a month and the players were blind sided is pretty fugged
fair...but there was a reason they couldn’t tell them.

the coach didn’t want to leave. They were kicking the can, hoping he would accept the inevitable

my point was more that, for Jim, IN MY OPINION!, outside of giving him an extension, there was no other way to “make it right”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom