Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

Maybe true. I do not know enough about him.

If all this other side of it is true, I just do not get why JB would choose to exit this way. It does not make much sense.

Hopefully he walks things back and goes all in for Autry.
Because he’s Jim and he didn’t want to leave.

Occam’s razor.

Man if that's a response to friends and family your college papers must have a sight to see. I've seen thesis papers that were less complex.

It's a complex situation.

The University should create a figurehead position for him asap. Not sure why that couldn’t have been finalized prior to yesterday. Not difficult or burdensome.

They did what they had to do because of what JAB did in the presser.

There are plenty of JB apologists for whom he can do no wrong, so it has to be the school's fault. Not a legit take IMO.
They had to? Really? I don’t think they had to do anything. So what if the media speculated for a day. They could have done nothing, had JW presser the next day thanking him for his years of service, for building the program, for dedicating his life to the university. Etc. He didn’t have to be there. I think ending it on a tweet was weaksauce. So do many others

Perhaps, wait a couple days to give JB one final opportunity to 'retire' and offer support for Red.

Perhaps have some comment about how a university consultant / ambassador opportunity is waiting for him, should he choose to take it?

Perhaps understand that JB was not going to say whatever he wanted him to say in that last Wake presser, let him have 1 last pouty, confusing moment, let things settle for a few days, and setup a Friday presser where Red is announced and maybe his staff is announced and give JB the opportunity to say goodbye.

It seems like he was agitated by JBs confusing comments in the presser and went alpha on him. JB was gone as early as last week, so perhaps Wildhack felt damage control was necessary?

However, JB is the one who won us an NC, not some AD, and deserves some understanding as he struggles to cope with the end of his career.

Curious how Crouthamel would have handled it. Maybe he would have forced JB out for Hop, who knows?
Perhaps a pony??

Last edited:
This a gazillion times.
How did you know? Adults talking about something top secret?

Weird. Thank god the players didn’t know or else that could’ve gotten really bad. They might’ve posted about it on a message board or something.

The University should create a figurehead position for him asap. Not sure why that couldn’t have been finalized prior to yesterday. Not difficult or burdensome.
Because Jim wants to be the coach, and feels he can still be successful.
But when he stopped putting the time in on recruiting like the photo of him sleeping in the gym it probably was time to go.

The right thing would've been making this determination before the season, or at least BEFORE THIS GAME. Very clumsy in my opinion, and yes, disrespectful

Perhaps if the plan had been outlined back in september, as many on this forum have claimed, it wouldn't have cost us JP Estrella.

But it wasn't, and it did. Despite what some would like to pretend.

Disagree. university should have done better.

great article. The University must do better. I don't care how much blame falls on coach. A failure to make this right will forever blemish Cuse and the most important pat of it's basketball history
Agree, and I do not understand why this is so hard for people to get.

The non-internet diehard base is pretty ticked off over how this was handled.

FWIW, during the Pitt/GT game yesterday as the news broke, Cory Alexander stated during a conversation he had with JB back in November, he told him one more year in all probability. Alexander went on to say, unless something significantly changed since that particular conversation, found the news surprising.

Perhaps, the JB comments a few weeks back about Miami, Wake & Pitt buying their teams, et al and where the ACC had to step in and advise the SU powers that be to control your loose cannon, really got the ball rolling that this was it?

Last edited:
Agree, and I do not understand why this is so hard for people to get.

The non-internet diehard base is pretty ticked off over how this was handled.
prove it, outside of anecdotal commentary.

And if we want to use anecdotal commentary...all the fellow alums I talk with and family members that are local to CNY...none brought up that he was wronged. Not one.

Perhaps a pony??
Typography Call Back GIF by Feibi McIntosh

And if we want to use anecdotal commentary...all the fellow alums I talk with and family members that are local to CNY...none brought up that he was wronged. Not one.
My mom and dad feel like he was wronged. Many of the casual fans I work with thought the same. People I have seasons with think it should have been handled differently. I almost thought it was older people having an issue with it until even one of my buddies who’s been calling for him to be replaced thought it was bush, figure that one out. I’d say it’s pretty split throughout the fan base.

After giving it some time, even I’m starting to think why didn’t Cuse just regroup a day or two and try to give everyone one last chance to do this as a cohesive family. I only know as much as the insiders give us, but while JB is a jerk, it doesn’t mean the university has to be too.

It was big news in the moment, a weird presser from JB, but I think it would have been forgotten by tonight’s games outside of Syracuse.

My mom and dad feel like he was wronged. Many of the casual fans I work with thought the same. People I have seasons with think it should have been handled differently. I almost thought it was older people having an issue with it until even one of my buddies who’s been calling for him to be replaced thought it was bush, figure that one out. I’d say it’s pretty split throughout the fan base.

After giving it some time, even I’m starting to think why didn’t Cuse just regroup a day or two and try to give everyone one last chance to do this as a cohesive family. I only know as much as the insiders give us, but while JB is a jerk, it doesn’t mean the university has to be too.

It was big news in the moment, a weird presser from JB, but I think it would have been forgotten by tonight’s games outside of Syracuse.
Right. Your mom and dad.

I’m not suggesting there aren’t people out there.

Suggesting “The non-internet diehard base is pretty ticked off” is ridiculous. How would one gauge that outside of people close to them

It could’ve been handled better. I’ll leave it like that.

Anything could be handled better. But JB has a part in that as well. I think he went out exactly like he wanted to.

People can debate it all they want. Honor JB for what he built here, and support Red. There's no going back now.

They had to? Really? I don’t think they had to do anything. So what if the media speculated for a day. They could have done nothing, had JW presser the next day thanking him for his years of service, for building the program, for dedicating his life to the university. Etc. He didn’t have to be there. I think ending it on a tweet was weaksauce. So do many others
Didn’t JB right after his postgame tell the players he was retiring? I think that also made its way back to Syracuse and so that was also part of the trigger for the release the school sent out maybe? Not certain here, kinda asking more as a question. I am just guessing here. In sequence the game finishes, JB does post game, Q&A hits, JB answers things a certain way, players get asked questions after, JB tells players he is retiring and SU shoots out press release about JB. I think that was the sequence.

I’m an alum, my wife is an alum, my dad is an alum and I am a donor. I am not happy with how this went down and I do believe Jimmy deserves some blame. Regardless of that fact, the university needed to do better and screwed it up. Waiting a day or two to try everything to make this right would have been better. At the moment, I have a sour taste in my mouth and I like Red.

Right. Your mom and dad.

I’m not suggesting there aren’t people out there.

Suggesting “The non-internet diehard base is pretty ticked off” is ridiculous. How would one gauge that outside of people close to them
Yeah ticked off is strong certainly , but I think it is pretty split, especially because most see it without some background like we have.

I’m an alum, my wife is an alum, my dad is an alum and I am a donor. I am not happy with how this went down and I do believe Jimmy deserves some blame. Regardless of that fact, the university needed to do better and screwed it up. Waiting a day or two to try everything to make this right would have been better. At the moment, I have a sour taste in my mouth and I like Red.

Yes...what you presented was the very definition of anecdotal

Yes...what you presented was the very definition of anecdotal

Not really. What I said was how I feel. Across my group of friends and alumni we all felt it was time but handled poorly by the university. Don’t really care if you agree or disagree with that.

Not really. What I said was how I feel. Across my group of friends and alumni we all felt it was time but handled poorly by the university. Don’t really care if you agree or disagree with that.
I mean...yes.

whether I agree with you or not is irrelevant. You and your friends don’t speak for every alum or local. nor do myself and my friends/family. There’s no consensus just because everyone you know agrees with you

Yes they did.

Maybe if he behaved like a semi-normal human, it could have gone a lot better... But he is who he is, and MANY predicted this is how it would end, and not because the school is the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom