Offense nugget from recruit | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Offense nugget from recruit

Millhouse said:
the ran all day long, ran for a lot of yards, threw for jack squat, lost everyone loses to FSU but i don't look at those two games with envy

So it didn't look like what you want? I'll take better results however they come.

A great tight end can make an offense. Seems like the really good tight ends can almost never be covered and the passes that need to get to them are generally not real difficult throws. Wasn't there some kid on the Kentucky team we played in some bowl that just killed us? Think he ended up getting hurt in the game.

So it didn't look like what you want? I'll take better results however they come.
they can't throw the ball and aren't that good. just because they're better than us doesn't mean much.

florida state has won a bunch of close games this year, lets not go crazy because BC scored 17 and threw 11 times

Millhouse said:
they can't throw the ball and aren't that good. just because they're better than us doesn't mean much. florida state has won a bunch of close games this year, lets not go crazy because BC scored 17 and threw 11 times

Okay. Now imagine if they had our mediocre WR's instead of the pile of pooh they have now?

They lost by 3 and 14 to FSU. Ball control works against good offensive teams no matter if it hurts your sensibilities. They also ran it down USC's throat. Pitt plays a lot of 12 personnel too - only they have a good WR.

Did it work?
We practiced it at least 5-10 reps a day for 3 weeks and got to the point where the skip pass almost always was completed, it was easier than you'd think to control the bounce. Used it once in the game, QB got nervous and threw a terrible ball that was ruled incomplete bc it wasn't a lateral.

Okay. Now imagine if they had our mediocre WR's instead of the pile of pooh they have now?

They lost by 3 and 14 to FSU. Ball control works against good offensive teams no matter if it hurts your sensibilities. They also ran it down USC's throat. Pitt plays a lot of 12 personnel too - only they have a good WR.
they have mediocre WR because they never throw the ball

they have mediocre WR because they never throw the ball

BS. Adazzio started they same year as Shafer. They may not be as good at recruiting WR's - but not sure you can draw a correlation. Plus Pitt runs a similar system and has a good WR.

Plus we have no idea how much Lester wants to throw from it. Seems like at Elmhurst he threw as much as he ran it - except for the year he had a really, really good RB.

Side note: I don't think Lester is going to run your dream system. It's probably time to look for things he might actually do that might be successful. If he fails, Shafer goes - your drum (or dead horse) will be waiting to be beat. I'm just trying to give the guy/system the benefit of the doubt.

All I know is the best offense we have had in the last 10 years had a TE that moved around a lot.

Yes, we ran it out of the no huddle, but 4 WR's doesn't equal success all the time either.

I wouldn't read too much into a quote from a recruit that stated he may have to go in motion every now and then.

All I know is the best offense we have had in the last 10 years had a TE that moved around a lot.

Yes, we ran it out of the no huddle, but 4 WR's doesn't equal success all the time either.

I wouldn't read too much into a quote from a recruit that stated he may have to go in motion every now and then.

My hope is that Lester gets the 2012 playbook out of storage and watches some game film. Sounds like he might have based on his comments about Nassib.

Looks to me like Lester looked at his receivers, and realized in Custis, and Enoicy, and now Trey, he has big people who can run, block, and create mismatches. That way you have blockers down field legally when someone like Ismael, Estime, get in the secondary. Also on running plays, you have people who can destroy, linebackers, or defensive backs pursuing a running back.

Guys, motion doesn't have to be about "mismatching" or "confusing" a defense. It can be a simple tool to see if the defense is in man to man or zone coverage, something that can help out struggling or young qb's.

If it means that our best statistic on the year isn't "number of substitutions" then I'm all for it.

we can do better than 55th in scoring and 8 wins

there are lots of teams to look at besides us

forget about gerg already

Guys, motion doesn't have to be about "mismatching" or "confusing" a defense. It can be a simple tool to see if the defense is in man to man or zone coverage, something that can help out struggling or young qb's.
the more spread out a defense is, the harder it is for them to disguise what they're doing

He's probably referring to the 2001 Deleone experiment. Spent the entire Spring and preseason implementing this red alarm motion to create mismatches. First game of the year, GT just sat in their base defense, watched us run around, and held us to 7 points (thanks to a questionable personal foul that kept our TD drive alive).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work (albeit against Tennessee).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work in the first half against UCF. At halftime we scrapped it, put RJ in, and just went went basic on offense for the rest of the year. Mungro ended up having a huge year. Freeney kept turning field position with sacks and fumbles, and we went on a winning streak.

At the end of the day, you just have to call plays that get guys open, and have players that can get open. And a QB that can get them the ball. And an OL that can give him time to do it.
Now, I remember that sequence of events quite well. Thanks for recalling it.

That is exactly why we did it.

[QUOTE="Chip, post: 1221456, me
At the end of the day, you just have to call plays that get guys open, and have players that can get open. And a QB that can get them the ball. And an OL that can give him time to do it.[/QUOTE]

Post of the year. It really is just that simple... It doesn't matter what its called.

we can do better than 55th in scoring and 8 wins

there are lots of teams to look at besides us

forget about gerg already

You of all people should know you are being selective with those stats. Scoring is not always indicative of offensive success. You also need to create turnovers and have explosive plays from the return game. That 2012 team forced 20 turnovers, 73rd in the nation. We also ranked 108th in punt returns and 106th in kick off returns.

I'm sure you have checked out football outsiders --they have the 2012 Syracuse Football team 18th in offensive efficiency, which takes into account SOS, kneel downs, second teamers on the field, etc.

That team struggled to score for 2 reasons. IMO, lack of elite skill position talent and red zone difficulty. That team ranked 83rd in explosive drives for the season, combine that with poor specials and you can see the common denominator there. We also struggled mightily in the red zone, especially running the ball, ranking 63rd in red zone offense.

In fact, I would wager we were much worse until we went AWAY from the spread inside the opponent's 10 yard line. Spreads and Air Raids can have some trouble in the red zone because the field gets compressed, taking a lot of potential plays out of the playbook. The defense doesn't fear any vertical or intermediate threats what so ever.

Looks to me like Lester looked at his receivers, and realized in Custis, and Enoicy, and now Trey, he has big people who can run, block, and create mismatches. That way you have blockers down field legally when someone like Ismael, Estime, get in the secondary. Also on running plays, you have people who can destroy, linebackers, or defensive backs pursuing a running back.

Exactly! Wispy wide receivers aren't that good at knocking people over, last time I checked. Finesse is certainly part of the game, but so is big guys knocking people on their azzes so the wispy finesse guys can show everybody how fast and elusive they are.:)

I love how people are jumping on Lester when he was using McDonalds system :bang:

Give em a chance. At least