Offense nugget from recruit | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Offense nugget from recruit

Looks to me like Lester looked at his receivers, and realized in Custis, and Enoicy, and now Trey, he has big people who can run, block, and create mismatches. That way you have blockers down field legally when someone like Ismael, Estime, get in the secondary. Also on running plays, you have people who can destroy, linebackers, or defensive backs pursuing a running back.

I just don't get why Lester moved Custis to WR at the end of the season if they plan on using him at TE this year? Obviously Custis pretty much had a wasted year, but apparently he was getting practice reps at WR's the 2nd part of the year. I'm willing to bet (or at least hope) he was moved to WR because that was what Lester sees him at in his offense. Otherwise what would be the purpose of moving him? Also could be why we aren't really recruiting a WR this cycle.

CIL said:
You of all people should know you are being selective with those stats. Scoring is not always indicative of offensive success. You also need to create turnovers and have explosive plays from the return game. That 2012 team forced 20 turnovers, 73rd in the nation. We also ranked 108th in punt returns and 106th in kick off returns. I'm sure you have checked out football outsiders --they have the 2012 Syracuse Football team 18th in offensive efficiency, which takes into account SOS, kneel downs, second teamers on the field, etc. That team struggled to score for 2 reasons. IMO, lack of elite skill position talent and red zone difficulty. That team ranked 83rd in explosive drives for the season, combine that with poor specials and you can see the common denominator there. We also struggled mightily in the red zone, especially running the ball, ranking 63rd in red zone offense. In fact, I would wager we were much worse until we went AWAY from the spread inside the opponent's 10 yard line. Spreads and Air Raids can have some trouble in the red zone because the field gets compressed, taking a lot of potential plays out of the playbook. The defense doesn't fear any vertical or intermediate threats what so ever.
Don't forget idiotic punts twelve yards outside the red zone

CIL said:
That's not even close to being true. Especially with regards to coverages.
You think it's easier for defenses to disguise their intentions against Baylor?

I just don't get why Lester moved Custis to WR at the end of the season if they plan on using him at TE this year? Obviously Custis pretty much had a wasted year, but apparently he was getting practice reps at WR's the 2nd part of the year. I'm willing to bet (or at least hope) he was moved to WR because that was what Lester sees him at in his offense. Otherwise what would be the purpose of moving him? Also could be why we aren't really recruiting a WR this cycle.
Lester used him in a loose formation many times. He looked like the primary check down and never blocked from that set. Maybe that has something to do with it.

just 1 wr for this class

After reading all of this, I'm left to conclude that Chik-fil-a nuggets >offense nugget from recruits.

Two takeaways for me were them telling a TE they want to split him out which I interpret as that specific position which is the HBack, and second thing is less subbing.

Wanting to split TEs out implies to me they still want to throw it and less subbing to me means faster offense.

A good number of people hear 12 personnel and 2 TEs and think run run run, big slow plodding TEs.

PhatOrange said:
Two takeaways for me were them telling a TE they want to split him out which I interpret as that specific position which is the HBack, and second thing is less subbing. Wanting to split TEs out implies to me they still want to throw it and less subbing to me means faster offense. A good number of people hear 12 personnel and 2 TEs and think run run run, big slow plodding TEs.
Odds are that TE big enough to block are more plodding than WR 2-4 would be

We're going to play fast, but with slower players...

Genius!

OttoinGrotto said:
We're going to play fast, but with slower players... ... Genius!
Staff might be too Midwestern. Wisconsin players spend their whole lives mainlining cheddar cheese. Makes sense for them. Spend all that time in michigan, michigan way rubs off

Didn't say that.

The why bring that up in opposition to the list of things that CIL had there?

Are you saying you don't mean what you write?

GoSU96 said:
The why bring that up in opposition to the list of things that CIL had there? Are you saying you don't mean what you write?
You are better than this. I added it to the list. I said don't forget. I wouldn't say that if I disagreed with his whole list. I mean what I write. I can't help it if you can't read

Take a breather. Be smarter. You can do it.

You never watched film on Enoicy blocking did you? His last year in high school, the team almost exclusively ran, because QB wasn't a great passer. That's the reason rivals downgraded him, not because he couldn't run, and catch passes. ESPN at the end of recruiting rated Enoicy 4 star, and our highest recruit.

baggerbob said:
You never watched film on Enoicy blocking did you? His last year in high school, the team almost exclusively ran, because QB wasn't a great passer. That's the reason rivals downgraded him, not because he couldn't run, and catch passes. ESPN at the end of recruiting rated Enoicy 4 star, and our highest recruit.
I hope he's great. That's one. Hopefully the 2nd TE is versatile too. He will need lots of reps catching judging by your post

I said odds are for a reason. I know there are good tight ends. I think it's a gamble and I wonder how sustainable it is, that's all

I wouldn't say that offense is exclusively 12, nor would I call that traditional. Probably 50/50 between 11 and 12, with a good amount of misdirection mixed in. Millhouse will be happy to know I see a a lot of Oregon in that offense. We will see if they play that fast next year, but this isn't your father's 12 personnel offense.

Sometimes it just might be semantics regarding what you can a WR or TE. If I have a choice between to guys and one is 6' and runs a 4.6 and a 6' 5" that does the same or a 4.7...I'll take the big guy unless that 6' guy has some wiggle to him. Add the extra weight and now you have a better blocker (in theory) as well. The WR's/TE's and even RB's HAVE to run better routes and recognize coverages along with being on page with the qb. I couldn't care less what an offense is called or used as long as it adds up the yards, gets more snaps and scores more TD's. So again, they can line up all over the place as the recruit said...just are going to be bigger.

That said, I hope that Hunt has this playbook in his hands and has been studying his butt off reading it. Practice his progressions/reads. My hope is that SU gets some tech kids to design a 3dish program that can help train the qb's to read and react to defenses because I'd have a huge screen in the IPF that did so. Practice that footwork...the reads and progressions. It's a huge business this college football is so let's do it right.

I wouldn't say that offense is exclusively 12, nor would I call that traditional. Probably 50/50 between 11 and 12, with a good amount of misdirection mixed in. Millhouse will be happy to know I see a a lot of Oregon in that offense. We will see if they play that fast next year, but this isn't your father's 12 personnel offense.
Millhouse will be happy ? That's oxymoronic.

Wake me when we have a QB starting who can pass.

I expect to sleep a long time.

I think you're missing the point...people like Millhouse are happy while b1tching. ;-)
Frustrated bean counters. Customer service people always get the big job.

You of all people should know you are being selective with those stats. Scoring is not always indicative of offensive success. You also need to create turnovers and have explosive plays from the return game. That 2012 team forced 20 turnovers, 73rd in the nation. We also ranked 108th in punt returns and 106th in kick off returns.

I'm sure you have checked out football outsiders --they have the 2012 Syracuse Football team 18th in offensive efficiency, which takes into account SOS, kneel downs, second teamers on the field, etc.

That team struggled to score for 2 reasons. IMO, lack of elite skill position talent and red zone difficulty. That team ranked 83rd in explosive drives for the season, combine that with poor specials and you can see the common denominator there. We also struggled mightily in the red zone, especially running the ball, ranking 63rd in red zone offense.

In fact, I would wager we were much worse until we went AWAY from the spread inside the opponent's 10 yard line. Spreads and Air Raids can have some trouble in the red zone because the field gets compressed, taking a lot of potential plays out of the playbook. The defense doesn't fear any vertical or intermediate threats what so ever.
That's true but those teams have more red zone attempts

I took 1st quarter rushes in 2014 (I don't want to look at the whole game because great teams run out the clock with big leads) and correlated it to red zone appearances and red zone td %.

The more you want to run off the bat, the less red zone chances you get but once you're there you convert better. The negative correlation between 1q rush attempts and red zone appearances is stronger than the correlation between 1q rushes and red zone td %

people get too hung up on a couple possessions that go awry. yards are strongly correlated with points. if you start worrying too much about RZ TD% you might end up with some offense that's really good at pounding it in from the 1 but can't get the ball to the 1.

smarter 4th downs wouldn't have closed the whole gap in 2012 but it would've closed part of it

Last edited: