Officiating in the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Officiating in the ACC

We all understand that there are bad calls in all games. Are we really getting screwed more than others? Has anyone systematically looked at all the questionable calls and counted that we got screwed more than the opposition? I think we did yesterday but I also recognize the orange colored glasses I wear.

Florange44
I know what you mean. I felt the roughing call and some others were pretty obvious bad calls, but I recall reading comments on the forums of other teams we beat. The other fans see calls going our way as biased the other way. Then I think of the NFL referee strike and the terrible job done by the replacements refs. They were out of the college ranks, weren’t they?

"Hey buddy, ya got a hundred grand?"

Wildhack needs to step up and start asking the league to review these calls. He needs to put refs on notice. It actually works as the review process can get them demoted or canned.
agreed except the commissioner needs to put the refs on notice. that would require all the ad's to be involved. it would also require all p5 commissioners to be on the same page to move to a revised assignment of refs based on a pool rather than conference. they can then create teams of refs on that basis. how does the nfl work in assigning refs??????????

I know what you mean. I felt the roughing call and some others were pretty obvious bad calls, but I recall reading comments on the forums of other teams we beat. The other fans see calls going our way as biased the other way. Then I think of the NFL referee strike and the terrible job done by the replacements refs. They were out of the college ranks, weren’t they?
Actually, most of the replacement refs were HS refs, not college. I believe the college refs stood with the NFL refs and refused to work the NFL games.

we get screwed so much by the ACC refs we should sue for their failure to use prophylactic safeguards.

Actually, most of the replacement refs were HS refs, not college. I believe the college refs stood with the NFL refs and refused to work the NFL games.
Correct, mostly. There were some lower-level college officials (D2, D3, etc.), but no D1 college refs.

This isn’t like a missed call for holding it seems almost like it’s on purpose with some of these calls. When will anyone do anything about it? It’s changint the outcome of our games big time

Dino has said on his radio show that if they believe the officials made the incorrect call they send the tape into the ACC offices.

It is obvious that the ACC offices never check their mailbox/inbox

3 things that are certain: Death, taxes and bad calls.

I know for years and years FSU fans have battled and disliked ACC refs and this is a team that won. If anyone doesn't think that a human element isn't involved regarding a short mark here or a missed/ignored call there by an X amount of officials doesn't happen because of human bias or poor/lazy judgement we have a bridge to sell you. There is way too much money out there...legally and illegally to be made and add to that poor judgement and you have a football game that the house will always win. Schools (cry poverty but how many go out of business?), conferences, NCAA and gamblers always collect $ while fans spend and get frustrated/thrilled with losses and wins while giving $ and time. That is the way it is and has and will always be. Somebody is going to be unhappy 50% of the time but $ will always roll in, why on earth would they change that? An officials call can pretty much happen during every play in football even if an actual penalty didn't happen. Honestly, getting upset about it means absolutely zero to the ACC or the like because they already have your money and will in the future as well. It is frustrating and will always be until ya''ll realize this.

I'm pretty sure 14 tapes land at the ACC offices from each school at the end of these weeks.

Problem with bad employees in general is finding someone better at the job willing to do it.

After that scene in Raleigh after the Clemson game, I don't know who would want the job.

Thankless job. They hate you if they think you did wrong. Never really praised other than maybe a passing comment if they think you did well. And almost never is it thought you did well.

After that scene in Raleigh after the Clemson game, I don't know who would want the job.

Thankless job. They hate you if they think you did wrong. Never really praised other than maybe a passing comment if they think you did well. And almost never is it thought you did well.

You could say that goes for any profession. I don't get a celebration when I do my job. That's what I'm paid to do. I may get a 'well done' when I go over and above the call of duty, but if I screw up, there's no doubt that I'd hear it loudly.

You could say that goes for any profession. I don't get a celebration when I do my job. That's what I'm paid to do. I may get a 'well done' when I go over and above the call of duty, but if I screw up, there's no doubt that I'd hear it loudly.

Reffing seems more like a thankless hobby than an actual profession.

This has been a problem long before SU joined the conference and Swofford doesn't care about fixing it. Next to the PAC 12, the ACC is recognized for having the worst officials in the country. It's a basketball league that's trying to be a football league at the same time and the product (officiating) reflects that. It isn't a priority.

Good game guys.

I definitely feel your pain. ACC refs are trash. I agree with you on that roughing the passer call...that was nonsense.

On the other side...how about that horse collar as Akers going into the end zone...not only is it a textbook horse collar, it's right in front of the ref. Granted...as it would be enforced on the kickoff, not much of an impact, but just another inexplicable call/no call. Why have the rule?

I don't know if the ACC refs are by far the worst, I watch a lot of football and there is some pretty horrendous officiating out there. But the thing that really separates ACC officiating to me is that ACC refs seem to think that they're the third team on the field. That if they're out there, they're out there for a reason. They seem to have a strong need to make their impact felt. Nothing the ACC refs love to do more is to flag an extremely marginal violation that turns a game situation around. Someone breaks a long run or return...refs are scanning for a weak block in the back or hold to bring it back. Great defensive play...turn the narrative with a late hit or defensive holding away from the play. I think their extremely dubious targeting and late hit calls fall into this category. They definitely call a "ooh it looks bad, I need to throw a flag and show who's in charge." They seem to be specifically LOOKING for the chance to call those.'

ACC officials are in love with "gotcha" calls and "we are in control here" penalties.

The crazy thing is, they are the same way in basketball. There seems to be a mentality in ACC officiating that "our presence must be felt". Not that we're here to let the two teams play and just make sure it's fair...they need to control the game.

When it comes to just human error or missing things, I think they are probably bad in the way most of the other conferences' officials are bad...it's that extra "activist" flavor that separates them.

I don't know how many of the dubious calls yesterday fit in that category...maybe the late hit. I can't remember the exact timeline of that Dungy out of bounds play so maybe it doesn't apply, but that's at least the type of thing they love to jump on "Ha, only I saw he stepped out of bounds!"

I also thought for about 20 years that the ACC alone skewed their officiating in football to level the playing field for the underdog, 100% opposite of what they do in basketball. However there's no doubt in my mind that watching the last 3-4 years they got with the program of every other conference and now give their national contenders the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea if that impacted our game, as we both kind of stink and are fighting for bowl contention, but I could see the argument that FSU in a bowl is a bigger brand.

I don’t think it’s close to the same.

When I screw up, my boss gets on my case, maybe a couple others. 80,000 people don’t boo me, throw garbage at me and then flood the internet talking about how I’m not only terrible at my job, but I’m compromised and have no integrity.

Oh, and all of this is recorded on national TV.

I don’t know how much refs make, but it’s probably not enough.

I don’t think it’s close to the same.

When I screw up, my boss gets on my case, maybe a couple others. 80,000 people don’t boo me, throw garbage at me and then flood the internet talking about how I’m not only terrible at my job, but I’m compromised and have no integrity.

Oh, and all of this is recorded on national TV.

I don’t know how much refs make, but it’s probably not enough.

Throw garbage? What games are you going to?

I wonder if they have any trouble carrying that cross.

Throw garbage? What games are you going to?

I wonder if they have any trouble carrying that cross.

NC State

I think the lack of recognition at NASA is turning you bitter.

I don’t weep for the refs, they chose it. I just don’t know how anyone takes that job. Thankfully they do or the legions of miserable fans (I’m a card carrying member) wouldn’t have anything to be miserable about. Other than their jobs.

(I’ll jump up on that cross now).

Good game guys.

I definitely feel your pain. ACC refs are trash. I agree with you on that roughing the passer call...that was nonsense.

On the other side...how about that horse collar as Akers going into the end zone...not only is it a textbook horse collar, it's right in front of the ref. Granted...as it would be enforced on the kickoff, not much of an impact, but just another inexplicable call/no call. Why have the rule?

I thought that was a horse collar just the same as I thought it was the week before when a Miami player tackled one of our guys (maybe have been Dungey) the exact same way and it was a no call. Did they change the rule?

Watching yours it appeared as if they ref went for his pocket and then just said forget it, TOUCHDOWN. A flag there is really no big deal though.

i think "immediately pulling the ball carrier down." was not deemed to have happened since he slung him down sideways?

NC State

I think the lack of recognition at NASA is turning you bitter.

I don’t weep for the refs, they chose it. I just don’t know how anyone takes that job. Thankfully they do or the legions of miserable fans (I’m a card carrying member) wouldn’t have anything to be miserable about. Other than their jobs.

(I’ll jump up on that cross now).

The only recognition I care about comes in check form. You must have missed the part where I said that you shouldn't expect extra recognition for doing your job.

The officials choose to put themselves in the public eye. They know what they're signing up for. They make the choice to be able to be on TV and part of the event. Don't like it? Then don't do it.

Also, I left NASA for industry. Who needs government recognition when the private sector rewards competence so much better? If only college football rewarded competence.

The only recognition I care about comes in check form. You must have missed the part where I said that you shouldn't expect extra recognition for doing your job.

The officials choose to put themselves in the public eye. They know what they're signing up for. They make the choice to be able to be on TV and part of the event. Don't like it? Then don't do it.

Also, I left NASA for industry. Who needs government recognition when the private sector rewards competence so much better? If only college football rewarded competence.

Other than your successes, I’m not really sure what we’re even talking about anymore. Your 2nd paragraph just re-stated everything I said.

That’s enough ref time for me for one day. If they’re graded poorly, they should be fired. I just hope the pipeline at lower levels is aspiring to the spotlight.

Other than your successes, I’m not really sure what we’re even talking about anymore. Your 2nd paragraph just re-stated everything I said.

That’s enough ref time for me for one day. If they’re graded poorly, they should be fired. I just hope the pipeline at lower levels is aspiring to the spotlight.

I thought you were wanting to talk about how much recognition I was getting at work. Or you were just trying to be a d***.

One of those.